Thoracic aortic aneurysm

Posted by jbsb93 @jbsb93, Jul 28, 2011

‘I was born with a hole in my heart and have had 2 surgeries. One to fix hole and the other a valve replacement. I’ve been recently told the I have a thoracic aneurysm and possibly will need more surgery.. Anyone gone th ru this before?’?

Wow, that is great news! What a relief that must be to hear. Mine is at 4.7 and my doctor told me I need to start thinking about surgery. So, I’m very concerned about having to do something soon. I haven’t talked to a specialist/surgeon yet. I live in Florida but don’t want to be concerned with distance. Does anyone have a recommendation?

REPLY
@fjc1962

Wow, that is great news! What a relief that must be to hear. Mine is at 4.7 and my doctor told me I need to start thinking about surgery. So, I’m very concerned about having to do something soon. I haven’t talked to a specialist/surgeon yet. I live in Florida but don’t want to be concerned with distance. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Jump to this post

@fjc1962 I don’t know the details of your conditions. The urgency depends on many factors, if you have family history of heart attack, bicuspid aortic valve with underlying genetic disorder and the root of Ascending Aorta involved you have to do the surgery due to the risk of eruption to mention the few based on my assessment of the literatures. You have to follow the cardiologist guidelines. I think Celevland clinic operates in Florida, check the surgeon there. I have a plan to go to different state to see one of their Surgeon, they are one of the best based on many factual stats. Educate yourself based on your conditions before you rush. My local surgeon recommended me to plan for surgery, BUT I decided to wait based on education decisions.

REPLY
@cobweb

Mine is 4.9 and surgeon at Cleveland Clinic says he will give me 10 more years. Being i am in my late 70's sounds good.

Jump to this post

@win sturgeon

I think the width range of Aortic valve varies with age range. I think the older you get the wider it gets. For your current age 4.7 isn’t that far from upper boundaries for a normal range. This is based on the guidelines from cadiotherscic paper.

REPLY
@fjc1962

Wow, that is great news! What a relief that must be to hear. Mine is at 4.7 and my doctor told me I need to start thinking about surgery. So, I’m very concerned about having to do something soon. I haven’t talked to a specialist/surgeon yet. I live in Florida but don’t want to be concerned with distance. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Jump to this post

Depends on where you live in Florida but Dr Vo is very good, Jacksonville, Florida. He operated on me November 1st. Mine was very unstable plus during the operation he found two more so went ahead and fixed them with implants. Very good doctor who cares for his patients. I’m still recovering and probably will for a couple more months.

REPLY
@lynne1941

Depends on where you live in Florida but Dr Vo is very good, Jacksonville, Florida. He operated on me November 1st. Mine was very unstable plus during the operation he found two more so went ahead and fixed them with implants. Very good doctor who cares for his patients. I’m still recovering and probably will for a couple more months.

Jump to this post

I really appreciate the name and recognition of Dr. Vo's expertise. Thank you and best wishes for your health journey.

REPLY
@ddj2020

@fjc1962 I don’t know the details of your conditions. The urgency depends on many factors, if you have family history of heart attack, bicuspid aortic valve with underlying genetic disorder and the root of Ascending Aorta involved you have to do the surgery due to the risk of eruption to mention the few based on my assessment of the literatures. You have to follow the cardiologist guidelines. I think Celevland clinic operates in Florida, check the surgeon there. I have a plan to go to different state to see one of their Surgeon, they are one of the best based on many factual stats. Educate yourself based on your conditions before you rush. My local surgeon recommended me to plan for surgery, BUT I decided to wait based on education decisions.

Jump to this post

I have had a crazy month which started with a CT scan where the radiologist indicated my aorta as “normal size”. My cardiologist argued with him based on previous tests since 2013 at 4.5 cm mid ascending (echo) and monitoring every six months with 2019 test at 4.7 cm (echo). So off for an MRI which showed 4.5 x 4.9 cm with no signs of dissection or tearing. This is the first time they have indicated an oval shape. I’m 58 next week and it’s been very slow growing for 7 years which helped me to not even be very concerned. But, I have never been as worried or confused as I am right now. I’m not getting much more info from my cardiologist other than “we need to talk about next steps soon“ and then I have to wait a couple months to get in to see him. I need to talk to a surgeon or specialist that can give me better advise specific to my condition and to get a better understanding of my risk and timing for surgery. I wish I could be like you and not worry. But even though I knew I had it, this has suddenly taken over my every day life. I think it’s because I’m starving for good information and expert advise and I’m not getting it from my doctor. I have an appointment this month with a doctor at Mayo in Jacksonville. Maybe he will refer me to a surgeon in Rochester for an opinion. And, I’m thinking about a trip to Cleveland Clinic for a second opinion. I just would like to be more certain about whether I can put off the surgery a while with minimal risk, or I should just plan to get it done somewhere.

REPLY

So glad you are going to Mayo. Am sure that the docs there will refer you to a cardiologist based on your previous tests. As I understand it, Mayo does not do surgery until the aneurysm is around 5, I believe. I had one much larger than that and had open heart surgery in Rochester. Your aneurism is still small. You might want to take your test results/ films with you to Mayo or call and ask them how to fax them to the right department. That’s what I did.
In the meantime, try not to worry. Mayo will advise you correctly. The best of luck to you. Hope to hear from you after your Mayo appointment. Carol

REPLY
@fjc1962

I have had a crazy month which started with a CT scan where the radiologist indicated my aorta as “normal size”. My cardiologist argued with him based on previous tests since 2013 at 4.5 cm mid ascending (echo) and monitoring every six months with 2019 test at 4.7 cm (echo). So off for an MRI which showed 4.5 x 4.9 cm with no signs of dissection or tearing. This is the first time they have indicated an oval shape. I’m 58 next week and it’s been very slow growing for 7 years which helped me to not even be very concerned. But, I have never been as worried or confused as I am right now. I’m not getting much more info from my cardiologist other than “we need to talk about next steps soon“ and then I have to wait a couple months to get in to see him. I need to talk to a surgeon or specialist that can give me better advise specific to my condition and to get a better understanding of my risk and timing for surgery. I wish I could be like you and not worry. But even though I knew I had it, this has suddenly taken over my every day life. I think it’s because I’m starving for good information and expert advise and I’m not getting it from my doctor. I have an appointment this month with a doctor at Mayo in Jacksonville. Maybe he will refer me to a surgeon in Rochester for an opinion. And, I’m thinking about a trip to Cleveland Clinic for a second opinion. I just would like to be more certain about whether I can put off the surgery a while with minimal risk, or I should just plan to get it done somewhere.

Jump to this post

@fjc1962

Does it mean the MRI showed 4.9 cm and the 2019 CT showed 4.7 cm? If it is, the two technology measure the same thing with margin of error. I don't know your specific situation of your condition, the risk depends on many factors. Based on what I see, yours is similar to mine based on ascending aorta size if you have Bicuspid aortic valve with no underlying genetic disorder. How about the condition of the root of ascending aorta? These are what you have take into consideration to make a decision. As I said, I educated myself as much as possible and read a lot of research papers in these area. Right now, I am running 45 miles a week and lift the weight up to 65 pound, no life change at all. Zero concern. I have an MRI scan planned in March, depending on that, I will plan another surgeon second opinion and have a plan to fly to Cleveland Clinic after March.

Bottom line, follow the guideline of your cardiologist and listen to your body.

REPLY
@ddj2020

@fjc1962

Does it mean the MRI showed 4.9 cm and the 2019 CT showed 4.7 cm? If it is, the two technology measure the same thing with margin of error. I don't know your specific situation of your condition, the risk depends on many factors. Based on what I see, yours is similar to mine based on ascending aorta size if you have Bicuspid aortic valve with no underlying genetic disorder. How about the condition of the root of ascending aorta? These are what you have take into consideration to make a decision. As I said, I educated myself as much as possible and read a lot of research papers in these area. Right now, I am running 45 miles a week and lift the weight up to 65 pound, no life change at all. Zero concern. I have an MRI scan planned in March, depending on that, I will plan another surgeon second opinion and have a plan to fly to Cleveland Clinic after March.

Bottom line, follow the guideline of your cardiologist and listen to your body.

Jump to this post

Yes, my Echo’s and CT Scan have always been pretty consistent at 4.7 last few years. After the MRI they told me 4.5 x 4.9. I don't have a Bicuspid aortic valve or any genetic disorder. I had a heart cath for another reason a couple years ago and saw my arteries are clean. I don’t know about the condition of the root of ascending aorta? I’ll need to ask about that ASAP. I wish I was still able to put my concern aside as you do. I admire your knowledge and understanding on your situation. I need more knowledge, and more confident input from my doctors. Im going to a new GP doctor at Mayo in Jacksonville next week who will line me up with a consultation either here or In Rochester. But, I also was thinking of going to get an opinion at Cleveland Clinic. I grew up a couple hours from there and have relatives in the area.

REPLY
@fjc1962

Yes, my Echo’s and CT Scan have always been pretty consistent at 4.7 last few years. After the MRI they told me 4.5 x 4.9. I don't have a Bicuspid aortic valve or any genetic disorder. I had a heart cath for another reason a couple years ago and saw my arteries are clean. I don’t know about the condition of the root of ascending aorta? I’ll need to ask about that ASAP. I wish I was still able to put my concern aside as you do. I admire your knowledge and understanding on your situation. I need more knowledge, and more confident input from my doctors. Im going to a new GP doctor at Mayo in Jacksonville next week who will line me up with a consultation either here or In Rochester. But, I also was thinking of going to get an opinion at Cleveland Clinic. I grew up a couple hours from there and have relatives in the area.

Jump to this post

@fjc1962

I hope the cardiologist your going to see next week will give you a valid information. Based on what I see, I don't think you have to worry that much. I am much younger than you (43 years old) with the same size of ascending aorta. Based on the what I know the older you get the bigger the size of Aorta. What that mean is that, given the same size, mine is worse as compare to yours. To compare the previous size with the current one, you have to measure with the same technology. Don't think, the size grew by 0.2 cm after last year. This may be due to margin of error due to the two technology. Unless, you have observable symptom in you daily health such as chest pain, tiredness OR other underlying health conditions, don't worry that much. Ask the Cardiologist about the root of Ascending Aorta from the Echo, that is the key to make surgery decision due to the risk. Since you have tri-cuspid aortic valve, yours is far from surgery recommendation. I think for tricuspid, the guideline is 5.5 cm based on The Society of Thoracic Surgeons. For bicuspid it is 5 cm. It may take the next 10 years for you to get to the 5.5 cm recommendation. Update me what the cardiologist said next week. Please don't worry!

REPLY
Please login or register to post a reply.