Grover's Disease: What works to help find relief?

Posted by 43219876x @43219876x, Sep 23, 2016

I have been diagnosed with Grover's disease under my breasts. I had a biopsy for diagnosis. Tried topical ointment with no really good results. Any ideas?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Skin Health Support Group.

@gardeningjunkie

I dealt with GD covering most of my front and back upper and lower torso for 4 years, on and off. My first outbreak lasted one year and after that I had 6 months of activity and 6 months of dormancy. My outbreaks were severe.
I tried every single topical prescription or non-prescription treatment, not never steroids helped or gave relief.
I luckily learned theories that GD is tied to heavy metals and did a recommended heavy metal home chelation using fresh and fresh frozen cilantro daily. Experimenting I put my 1-month-old recent breakout in remission after 2 months of drinking it and I was afraid to go off the blended cilantro for six months but most only do this for 3 months. I haven't had a breakout since. It still took almost a year for every single old non itchy papule scab to release and heal. It took over 2 years for my skin to feel normal and enjoy being touched.
Now 4 years later, if I feel a tingle or feel the beginnings of tiny under skin bumps on my upper back torso (where it normally started) I drink a blended cilantro tonic daily for a week or more.
They say GD is for life, chronic, but my life is back to normal, and I am grateful for every pain and itch free day and hope you can find relief also. Why not try this, it helps about 40-45% of us who documented our experiences back in Feb of 2019 on a GD Mayo blog discussion. Kimass1, a Mayo blogger. told us about cilantro helping some with GD.

Jump to this post

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
I was diagnosed with Grover’s Disease this year. The steroid prescription did not help. When I read your comments I realized that the large amount of cilantro I’ve been consuming probably is the reason all the spots are drying up or just plain disappearing. We recently moved to Florida and the produce is so amazing that we eat salsa or guacamole almost daily. Thanks again!

@magluchi

I was diagnosed with Grover’s Disease this year. The steroid prescription did not help. When I read your comments I realized that the large amount of cilantro I’ve been consuming probably is the reason all the spots are drying up or just plain disappearing. We recently moved to Florida and the produce is so amazing that we eat salsa or guacamole almost daily. Thanks again!

Jump to this post

I'm always happy to hear from others that get relief from this demon disease and can't understand why more doctors don't recommend giving cilantro a try. I wrote up my results as well as the results of others and gave this write up to both of my dermatologists which seemed to have no interest in the heavy metal detox theory to aid in GD remission. Transcient Acantholytic Dermatitis, aka, Grover's Disease, GD, is normally transcient, it comes and goes and as you have learned, just like the rest of us, there are no prescription medications to cure this disease or that even offer relief. Yet doctors all prescribe them trying to give us hope.
My first outbreak was crippling and lasted one full year and subsequently it ran a 6 months on and 6 months off cycle for years. The subsequent break outs covered large areas, was terribly itchy and painful, but was not as severe as the first outbreak. We're all different in that regard. Mine was more severe then many, yet I read of one man on an Earth Clinic GD blog whose initial outbread lasted 6 years! He started on cilantro and he went into remission.
I'm writing what you probably already know, but want to to encourage you not to be discouraged if it returns. If that happens, return to the cilantro routine. For me drinking 1/2 bunch daily put my 1 month old break- out in remission, but it took months for a full recovery and up to one year for some of the dormant scabs to completely heal and fall off not to return. Now years later I have a hard time believing I had to live with such misery for so many years. But I'm not cured. If I start to get that tingle in my torso, always starts in my upper back torso, and feel the beginning of the tiny under the skin papuales start I go back on the blended cilantro for about a week and it resolves the sensation and what I believe are the beginnings of GD papuales forming on the inside disappear. Other then that my life is back to normal. Always be vigilant. Best of luck fellow suffer.

@kroe7

I am a 48 year old female who has been suffering from Grover's Disease for over 3 years. I was on a steroid cream which helped to alleviate some of the itching but the rash was always on my stomach. I tried the cilantro in the smoothies for over 3 weeks but that didn't help at all.

Around 6 weeks ago, I started having stomach issues that lasted for over 4 weeks. I was about to go get blood work and provide a stool sample when someone who had a similar stomach issue last year suggested garlic and honey. I am not a garlic fan but I would have tried anything to help with my stomach issues (think colonoscopy prep type diarrhea for 4 weeks.) So I started the garlic and honey suggestion. Every morning I would wake up and chop two cloves of fresh garlic and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes. Then I would put the garlic on a spoon and drizzle it with honey then eat the garlic and honey (it doesn't taste great and some mornings I even gagged but I am so glad I tried it.) You have to then wait about an hour before eating and drinking. After 4 days my stomach issue was completely gone. After 7 days of having garlic and honey every morning on an empty stomach, my Grover's Disease was almost non existent. I couldn't believe it. I still have the garlic and honey a few mornings a week but I don't wait the full hour before eating. I chop it up, let it sit for 15 minutes, mix in the honey, eat it and then have my breakfast and tea.

It's the middle of the summer which is normally when my Grover's is at it's worst - sun, sweat, heat, but to my amazement it's almost non existent. I am hoping after another week or two it's completely gone.

So if you are like me and trying to find ways to help your Grover's Disease, and you don't mind having garlic breath until lunch time, maybe you should give garlic and honey a shot. I hope it works for you.

Jump to this post

My 50-year struggle with Grover’s was finally put under control with UV photo therapy a few years back, but I’m always interested in new ways to fight this plague, should it flare again.

Do you “soak” the garlic clove in the honey before eating it? I've eaten raw garlic, but certainly never made it a daily habit. I too, have stomach/digestive issues as I have aged, and I'd give the garlic/honey regimen a try.

BTW, a pre-med student recommended aloe vera gels to treat stomach issues. I'm trying this now, but so far it’s not effective.

@bjv8080

My 50-year struggle with Grover’s was finally put under control with UV photo therapy a few years back, but I’m always interested in new ways to fight this plague, should it flare again.

Do you “soak” the garlic clove in the honey before eating it? I've eaten raw garlic, but certainly never made it a daily habit. I too, have stomach/digestive issues as I have aged, and I'd give the garlic/honey regimen a try.

BTW, a pre-med student recommended aloe vera gels to treat stomach issues. I'm trying this now, but so far it’s not effective.

Jump to this post

Hi~ After I chop the garlic, I let it sit on the plate for 10-15 minutes. Then I put it on the spoon and drizzle the honey on it and just coat the garlic by mixing it with the honey using the tip of the knife to stir it around. Then I eat it. I don't let it soak or marinate in the honey.

I'd love to hear if your try it and whether it works for you. Good luck!

@bjwilliams

I have suffered from Grover's since last August (2022). My dermatologist prescribed Gabapentin last Monday, and, after taking my first 300 mg. capsule, my itch stopped. I currently am taking 300 mg. in the morning and 300 mg. at night although the doctor said I can take another 300 mg. midday if necessary. I have had a few instances of breakthrough minor itches, but none have been severe enough to require anti-itch medication. I am virtually itch free without feeling sticky, cold, or generally icky from topical medications.

Jump to this post

In 2008, after suffering from itching for 18 months, I went to UCSF and the dermatologist put me on 300mg of gabapentin at night and 100mg in the morning. The itch stopped almost immediately. I dropped the morning dose but continued the 300mg at night for 13 years with no itching. Then, about 20 months ago, the itch came back. UCSF is too much of a drive for me anymore so I'm back to local dermatologists who don't have much to offer. I've been taking two to four cilantro capsules and one chlorella capsule a day for 75 days with no noticeable results yet. I take hydroxyzine at bedtime to get some sleep. In 2007/2008 and currently, I use Eucerin Itch Relief lotion when it gets bad. Works temporarily. My PCPs were never happy with my dosage of gabapentin but I never had any side effects.

Thanks for your reply. I had read about gabapentin being used in the treatment of Grover's both here and on the Facebook Grover's forum. So, when I first went to my dermatologist, I suggested it when other forms of treatment weren't working. He was reluctant and wanted to try other medications first. Only when I told him I previously had taken gabapentin for a year and a half for post-herpetic neuralgia without any side effects and without any withdrawal symptoms did he agree to prescribe it. Gabapentin is a controlled substance in Virginia, where I live, as it is in several other states. I had to personally pick up the written prescription from the doctor's office and take it to the pharmacy. You may want to approach your current dermatologist about gabapentin and show your history with it. I think doctors are afraid of patients becoming addicted.

@gardeningjunkie

I'm always happy to hear from others that get relief from this demon disease and can't understand why more doctors don't recommend giving cilantro a try. I wrote up my results as well as the results of others and gave this write up to both of my dermatologists which seemed to have no interest in the heavy metal detox theory to aid in GD remission. Transcient Acantholytic Dermatitis, aka, Grover's Disease, GD, is normally transcient, it comes and goes and as you have learned, just like the rest of us, there are no prescription medications to cure this disease or that even offer relief. Yet doctors all prescribe them trying to give us hope.
My first outbreak was crippling and lasted one full year and subsequently it ran a 6 months on and 6 months off cycle for years. The subsequent break outs covered large areas, was terribly itchy and painful, but was not as severe as the first outbreak. We're all different in that regard. Mine was more severe then many, yet I read of one man on an Earth Clinic GD blog whose initial outbread lasted 6 years! He started on cilantro and he went into remission.
I'm writing what you probably already know, but want to to encourage you not to be discouraged if it returns. If that happens, return to the cilantro routine. For me drinking 1/2 bunch daily put my 1 month old break- out in remission, but it took months for a full recovery and up to one year for some of the dormant scabs to completely heal and fall off not to return. Now years later I have a hard time believing I had to live with such misery for so many years. But I'm not cured. If I start to get that tingle in my torso, always starts in my upper back torso, and feel the beginning of the tiny under the skin papuales start I go back on the blended cilantro for about a week and it resolves the sensation and what I believe are the beginnings of GD papuales forming on the inside disappear. Other then that my life is back to normal. Always be vigilant. Best of luck fellow suffer.

Jump to this post

I'm so glad the cilantro/chlorella protocol works for you others, but it didn't work for me. I drank cilantro/chlorella smoothies for six months with no results. I was so disappointed.

So sorry cilantro wasn't a help. It seems to help only about 40-45% that post their results.
I don't know your history, but hope that like some with GD your breakouts become less severe in time.
It would be wonderful if someday a documented study is undertaken on a large group of us with GD to get to root cause of why we got this disease and why no medicine has been proven to either cure or at least control the symtoms.

@itchyrich

In 2008, after suffering from itching for 18 months, I went to UCSF and the dermatologist put me on 300mg of gabapentin at night and 100mg in the morning. The itch stopped almost immediately. I dropped the morning dose but continued the 300mg at night for 13 years with no itching. Then, about 20 months ago, the itch came back. UCSF is too much of a drive for me anymore so I'm back to local dermatologists who don't have much to offer. I've been taking two to four cilantro capsules and one chlorella capsule a day for 75 days with no noticeable results yet. I take hydroxyzine at bedtime to get some sleep. In 2007/2008 and currently, I use Eucerin Itch Relief lotion when it gets bad. Works temporarily. My PCPs were never happy with my dosage of gabapentin but I never had any side effects.

Jump to this post

Does hydroxyzine cause you side effects? When I took it before bed when I did sleep I got nightmares and found I couldn't be productive until the afternoon. I started taking half a dose, to turn me less into a zombie. Still the itching was always present; worse at night with our elevated histamines. In truth I think the only thing that would knock me out enough to not be kept awake from itching was a sludge hammer, once again we're talking negative side effects.
You may not be able to force yourself to drink fresh or fresh frozen cilantro, yet from my experience the capsules success rate is extremely low.

@magluchi

Jump to this post

Severe years ago I had been diagnosed with Grover’s. After 2 months of symptoms I decided to try cilantro. I made a smoothie out of cilantro, yogurt and orange juice. Made in blender. In 5 days all symptoms disappeared. Just use plenty of raw cilantro from produce section of your grocery store.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.