Grover's Disease: What works to help find relief?

Posted by 43219876x @43219876x, Sep 23, 2016

I have been diagnosed with Grover's disease under my breasts. I had a biopsy for diagnosis. Tried topical ointment with no really good results. Any ideas?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Skin Health Support Group.

Hi @43219876x, welcome to Connect! Grover's disease or Transient Acantholytic Dermatosis, is a rare condition but I found that some standard therapies include mild topical steroids, antihistamines, and some oral drugs. You can read more about this here: http://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/grovers-disease/

I'm also tagging @jbmakos who has reached out about Grover's in the past; I hope that he will share his experience with you. Have you tried any oral treatments yet?

I have also been recently diagnosed with Grover's on my back and waist. I am a 67 yo male so am more typical. My dermatologist prescribed a cortico-steroid cream which has resulted in some improvement. He also recommended Sensa anti itch cream which also gives relief from the itching. BTW, mine came out during chemotherapy for hairy cell leukemia in September and is only now starting to resolve. From what I read, it can it can erupt when there are other health issues, and is seasonal.

@rllarocca

I have also been recently diagnosed with Grover's on my back and waist. I am a 67 yo male so am more typical. My dermatologist prescribed a cortico-steroid cream which has resulted in some improvement. He also recommended Sensa anti itch cream which also gives relief from the itching. BTW, mine came out during chemotherapy for hairy cell leukemia in September and is only now starting to resolve. From what I read, it can it can erupt when there are other health issues, and is seasonal.

Jump to this post

In the above post That should be Sarna anti itch lotion.

You mean Sarna over the counter lotion. It helps.
I've had Grovers for three years and its not seasonal. I benefit from cortisone cream and Light Therapy. I'm told it will go away when its reaady to.

@jbmakos

I've had Grovers for three years and its not seasonal. I benefit from cortisone cream and Light Therapy. I'm told it will go away when its reaady to.

Jump to this post

Two months ago I too was diagnosed with Grover's Disease. It is VERY itchy. Is your Grover's very itchy? It's so itchy, and it's worst in the evening, so I can't help but think it could be scabies. However, two biopsies have come back negative for scabies and "consistent with Grover's disease". A 20 day course of prednisone did relieve the itch quite a bit and the rash got better and almost went away. But it came back once I was off prednisone. I am on a topical steroid that helps with the itch for a while, then it comes roaring back. What to do?!?!

I am in my 4th year with Grovers. With me, it got worse as I also had skin bleeds easily ( treat spots wit hydrogen peroxide and wash garment/sheets).
I am a lot better now but still itch. But most of the skin bumps are gone. My treatment was/ Triamcinolone cream and Sarna anti itch lotion. But what also helped greatly was and is Light therapy in the Dermatologists office . A full box treatment(long light bulbs).
at 3 days a week maxing at 4 minutes per front and back each. Now I'm once a week at two minutes. But I skip a lot. Its a slow treatment. I still use the cream and Sarna as needed.
Good luck.

@jbmakos

Jump to this post

Hello @zeke1,

Welcome to Connect.
I found this Mayo Clinic article which you may wish to view: Treatment for Grover’s Disease Geared Toward Relieving Itching and Rash: http://mayocl.in/2s9qHo2

I’m also tagging @shirlwpb @cindylou on this message as they have asked questions about Grover’s in the past.
@zeke1, have you discussed trying light therapy (phototherapy) with your doctor?

@jbmakos

Jump to this post

Hello @kanaazpereira,
Thank you for the article, yes, I've seen it. I will ask my doctor about light therapy.

@jbmakos

Jump to this post

My Grovers was very itchy for about 2 years then it subsided. Now I'm mildly itchy. Ask your doctor about light therapy. For me after a couple of months of 3 times a week treatment it helped significantly.

I have had Grovers disease for over four years, diagnosed for 1 1/2. None of the patent medicine was effective enough. Then I learned that the rash is triggered by eating foods containing SULFITES. They are naturally occurring in several commonly eaten foods ie. grapes (vinegar, wine etc,), peppers, onions, garlic, soy, peanuts, cabbage, brussel sprouts, molasses, mushrooms. Sulfites are added to many packaged foods and sprayed on much American produce for preserving a fresh look. SOLUTION: Buy organic produce and meats, grow your own, use rice vinegar. Knowing this has GREATLY REDUCED my occurances of the Grover's rash. Also a very effective topical cream is available on Amazon called "Eczur Cream" by Elimia. It costs $23 +/- for a very small plastic jar. But you don't need much and it works, especially after showering with a low chemical soap.Now I go weeks at a time with no itchy bumps!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.