Grover's Disease: What works to help find relief?

Posted by 43219876x @43219876x, Sep 23, 2016

I have been diagnosed with Grover's disease under my breasts. I had a biopsy for diagnosis. Tried topical ointment with no really good results. Any ideas?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Skin Health Support Group.

@wig

Do you rub the cilantro oil on to your skin? Or do you add it to liquid and drink it?? Thanks.

Jump to this post

I've had Grover’s for many years. When it’s at its worst, I keep a spray bottle of one part water to one part witch Hazel in the refrigerator. Just spraying the area gave me instant relief that can last an hour or more.

@bjv8080

I've had Grover’s for many years. When it’s at its worst, I keep a spray bottle of one part water to one part witch Hazel in the refrigerator. Just spraying the area gave me instant relief that can last an hour or more.

Jump to this post

Thanks for the tip. It would be nice to find something that lasted more than an hour!

@wig

Thanks for the tip. It would be nice to find something that lasted more than an hour!

Jump to this post

You can spray as often as you like. There are no side effects using witch Hazel and water. If you’re still hesitant, you can use plain cool water for instantly numbing the itch/pain.

I have had Grover’s since 1976.

I dealt with GD covering most of my front and back upper and lower torso for 4 years, on and off. My first outbreak lasted one year and after that I had 6 months of activity and 6 months of dormancy. My outbreaks were severe.
I tried every single topical prescription or non-prescription treatment, not never steroids helped or gave relief.
I luckily learned theories that GD is tied to heavy metals and did a recommended heavy metal home chelation using fresh and fresh frozen cilantro daily. Experimenting I put my 1-month-old recent breakout in remission after 2 months of drinking it and I was afraid to go off the blended cilantro for six months but most only do this for 3 months. I haven't had a breakout since. It still took almost a year for every single old non itchy papule scab to release and heal. It took over 2 years for my skin to feel normal and enjoy being touched.
Now 4 years later, if I feel a tingle or feel the beginnings of tiny under skin bumps on my upper back torso (where it normally started) I drink a blended cilantro tonic daily for a week or more.
They say GD is for life, chronic, but my life is back to normal, and I am grateful for every pain and itch free day and hope you can find relief also. Why not try this, it helps about 40-45% of us who documented our experiences back in Feb of 2019 on a GD Mayo blog discussion. Kimass1, a Mayo blogger. told us about cilantro helping some with GD.

My Grover’s experience. Seasonal(Winter) outbreaks for past 10 years. I am 60.
This year I avoided using an electric blanket and have not experienced an outbreak.
I also use an occasional Accutane(isotretinoin) to clear up any residual marks. Might be worth trying. I know there’s a connection between sweating and outbreaks. Paul.

The main problem with having the rash under one's breasts is moisture. I have had excellent results with using Desitin diaper rash paste there. Dry the area completely after bathing and then apply the Desitin. It forms a shield against moisture. It also stops the itching for me.

@bjv8080

Jump to this post

Excellent idea! I keep my menthol gels in the fridge, but I never thought about keeping witch hazel there. The added cold should make it twice as effective, and it's much cleaner to use than the gels.

@wig

Jump to this post

I apply ice packs to the area until it is actually numb, and the itching is gone for long periods of time. I also use Cera Ve Itch Relief which helps.

I have suffered from Grover's since last August (2022). My dermatologist prescribed Gabapentin last Monday, and, after taking my first 300 mg. capsule, my itch stopped. I currently am taking 300 mg. in the morning and 300 mg. at night although the doctor said I can take another 300 mg. midday if necessary. I have had a few instances of breakthrough minor itches, but none have been severe enough to require anti-itch medication. I am virtually itch free without feeling sticky, cold, or generally icky from topical medications.

I am a 48 year old female who has been suffering from Grover's Disease for over 3 years. I was on a steroid cream which helped to alleviate some of the itching but the rash was always on my stomach. I tried the cilantro in the smoothies for over 3 weeks but that didn't help at all.

Around 6 weeks ago, I started having stomach issues that lasted for over 4 weeks. I was about to go get blood work and provide a stool sample when someone who had a similar stomach issue last year suggested garlic and honey. I am not a garlic fan but I would have tried anything to help with my stomach issues (think colonoscopy prep type diarrhea for 4 weeks.) So I started the garlic and honey suggestion. Every morning I would wake up and chop two cloves of fresh garlic and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes. Then I would put the garlic on a spoon and drizzle it with honey then eat the garlic and honey (it doesn't taste great and some mornings I even gagged but I am so glad I tried it.) You have to then wait about an hour before eating and drinking. After 4 days my stomach issue was completely gone. After 7 days of having garlic and honey every morning on an empty stomach, my Grover's Disease was almost non existent. I couldn't believe it. I still have the garlic and honey a few mornings a week but I don't wait the full hour before eating. I chop it up, let it sit for 15 minutes, mix in the honey, eat it and then have my breakfast and tea.

It's the middle of the summer which is normally when my Grover's is at it's worst - sun, sweat, heat, but to my amazement it's almost non existent. I am hoping after another week or two it's completely gone.

So if you are like me and trying to find ways to help your Grover's Disease, and you don't mind having garlic breath until lunch time, maybe you should give garlic and honey a shot. I hope it works for you.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.