Grover's Disease: What works to help find relief?

Posted by 43219876x @43219876x, Sep 23, 2016

I have been diagnosed with Grover's disease under my breasts. I had a biopsy for diagnosis. Tried topical ointment with no really good results. Any ideas?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Skin Health Support Group.

@pwhitney801

Thanks for your comment. It seems the more I have read and researched there are many things people have tried to add or eliminate to see what works for them. Lots of trial and error. I now use cilantro drops in orange juice for a quicker and cost effective way to get that in vs making a smoothie. I'm 100% certain for myself that high levels of alcohol consumption causes flareups just about every time for me.

Jump to this post

Would you mind sharing how many drops of cilantro in how many ounces of liquid?

Sure. I do this 2 times a day. Morning and night. I use the brand Herb Pharm Certified Organic Cilantro Extract 1 Oz (pack of 2) on amazon. I do one full vile into about 2-3 oz of orange juice and drink it like a shot. You won't taste the cilantro.

@pwhitney801

Sure. I do this 2 times a day. Morning and night. I use the brand Herb Pharm Certified Organic Cilantro Extract 1 Oz (pack of 2) on amazon. I do one full vile into about 2-3 oz of orange juice and drink it like a shot. You won't taste the cilantro.

Jump to this post

My problem with cilantro was a soapy aftertaste several hours later. Sickening!

Gabapentin until the itch subsides. Then alternate between steroid cream & OTC cream. Lessening the steroid cream as much as possible.

It helped me a lot, so I could sleep. I weaned myself off of it & have only used 2Xs in 3 months when I wasn’t sleeping well.

Gabapentin has helped me. I’m on a high dosage until I can see a neurologist. 900mg
Also use hydroxyzine to sleep at night.
Still itchy though
Has anyone experienced “purpura “. Flat purple blotches from scratching.
Any cures known for them?
I have used a mixture of clobesitol (steroid solution) with cerave but am trying to wean myself since I think it is the culprit for the blotches. Thanks for any advice.

@olddog

Like many of you I rely on antihistamines (Allegra and Benadryl currently). The only side effect I've noticed is frequent nosebleeds which I attribute to dry sinuses. I've been taking antihistamines twice daily for over a year. Does anyone know of any longterm problems with regular use of antihistamines? Thanks.

Jump to this post

Old school anti-histamines like benadryl or hydroxyzine are tied to a higher frequency of dementia. Google it. The newer anti-histamines are not, yet I find them ineffective for itch control and the newer ones don't help you sleep.

@ib66

Gabapentin has helped me. I’m on a high dosage until I can see a neurologist. 900mg
Also use hydroxyzine to sleep at night.
Still itchy though
Has anyone experienced “purpura “. Flat purple blotches from scratching.
Any cures known for them?
I have used a mixture of clobesitol (steroid solution) with cerave but am trying to wean myself since I think it is the culprit for the blotches. Thanks for any advice.

Jump to this post

Yes, sizable purpura areas mostly on my forearms and hands, small ones on my face. Know of no cure. Mine went away in a couple weeks. I'm 73 so suspect my forearms and hands are susceptible from sun damage in addition to the weakening of the skin from GD. Dermo said it was a bruise but I did nothing to cause bruising.

I agree & think it’s definitely from the steroid creams.
My dermatologist said the same thing as yours.

@bjv8080

My problem with cilantro was a soapy aftertaste several hours later. Sickening!

Jump to this post

If you can't stand fresh cilantro or cilantro oil, you could try cilantro capsules, which are taste free.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.