Ascending Aortic Dilation - Ascending Aortic Aneurysm
I was diagnosed in 2012 with ascending aorta dialation of 4.1 cm. In 2013 no change. Finally went back to dr in 2017 and echo showed 4.3 cm. 2 months later dr made me have a chest scan which read 4.5 cm. which is correct? Echo or scan? Dr wants me to have another in 6 months. Very stressful.
Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Aortic Aneurysms Support Group.
@hopeful33250 Oh, that is good news! My aortic valve is "floppy" and I suspect, if I need surgical repair of the aneurysm, the valve will be replaced at the same time. I am happy to know that such repair may not necessarily require a regimen of blood thinners afterwards. This "aging business" is not easy.
I’ll say aging is surely an adjustment! I still hold out hope that my aneurism at the root will remain stable.
Yes, I have a "floppy" valve as well @degarden_girl. I understand what you mean. I'm trying to keep all of my original parts, but that might not be possible for much longer! Wishing you well. Please post any updates to your situation.
@hopeful33250 I wish you well with that floppy valve and aneurysm. But aren't we fortunate that there are surgical interventions with a proven success rate so although it isn't what we prefer, it sure is better than the alternative.
Hello @laverne, I’m so glad to see that you just joined Mayo Connect, welcome! I understand how panicky we can get when these “incidental findings” are discussed. Waiting until March for a follow up scan seems like a long time when you are thinking about an ascending aorta aneurysm. Don’t forget that it is always OK to get a second opinion. If you have a university or large research hospital in your area, that is a good place to start. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. Mayo Connect is a great online community for people who have health concerns. Best wishes!
Really out of my comfort zone. Small community along the east coat South Carolina. I don’t know healthcare here. MUSC in Charleston and DUKE in North Carolina. Really like my internal med Doctor and she has scheduled me with a cardiologist but not until March too. She is very laid back about it. More anxious now:(
Hi @laverne, There was a time when I was facing vocal cord surgery and I wanted the “best of the best.” Well, I live in SE Michigan and I found out that Cleveland Clinic was the best place, however, it too was out of my comfort zone. So, I enlisted the help of a friend and then family members to drive with me (or drive me). It was worth it! Think about who could be supportive of you. You can still keep your internist, just to get a second opinion on the heart issue. Give it some thought. If you are concerned and worried, it is important to be proactive and become your own patient advocate.
Thank you so much!
Hi Laverne, I wanted to add my welcome. I’m thrilled to see you’ve connected with Teresa.
I’d also like to bring in other members who may have experiences to share. Please meet @morninglory @elsinann @teatime @thegoodwife @thankful and @ch246cf10.
Laverne, did you see these related Connect discussions?
– Thoracic aortic aneurysm http://mayocl.in/2bC9oIY
– Large ascending aorta in young healthy 45 year old woman http://mayocl.in/2gwDknX
I joined this group today. I am a 73 YO female and have a lot of heart issues that worry me: CAD, Valvular Disease (aortic and mitral), ascending aortic aneurysm (3.9 CM as measured on an echo). The CAD was diagnosed 11 years ago through a calcium scan and then I began treatment with a cardio and had all the usual tests. I guess I am most concerned about having a heart attack and not know what is happening as the female experience is so different from that of males. I am also worried that I will be in a situation where immediate treatment is not available, such as on a plane or while riding a bike on a trail. I am appreciating reading the experiences of others with similar diagnosis's.