Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

@rwinney

Hi there @daliea.Welcome to the conversation, glad to have you join us. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing neurological difficulties since your illness.

Have you heard of Central Sensitization Syndrome (CSS)? It is a process that can upregulate the central nervous system and peripheral input sensory system causing many of the symptoms you describe.

Here is a discussion about CSS you may be interested in:

- https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/has-anyone-been-diagnosed-with-central-sensitization-if-so-id-like-to/

You may find this video about CSS helpful as well. It's presented by Mayo Clinic's Dr. Sletten. He explains how other diagnosis such as fibromyalgia and neuropathy fall under the CSS umbrella:

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJNhdnSK3WQ

How long have you been having the symptoms you describe? Are you working with a neurologist or having any testing?

Jump to this post

I had nerve conduction studies done and they were normal. I have been having these symptoms for over two years.It has progressed to the point where I have no quality of life.

@cheeps

Hi there, if you have taken probiotics for your c-diff, did it help you? Nice to meet you, I've just started here myself. My father had c-diff back in 2005 from taking anti biotics. Back then probiotics weren't offered. So, do the DRs suggest that now? Thank you.

Jump to this post

I appreciate your response. I developed c.dif after taking cefdinir for a UTI, then had a recurrence after taking fosfomycin. I just finished a two-week course of vancomycin hydrochloride. The worst seems over. The PA who had diagnosed the c.dif recommended Align pre-probiotic, an OTC with some fillers. The PA had also given me a low fiber diet that helped initially. I'm searching for a better way to avoid UTIs altogether but have tried many strategies. Part of problem is a prolapsed bladder supported by a pessary that doctors don't want to change often enough...I hope this is helpful.

@pattykakes

Thank you for adding me to your group. I’ve had chronic pain since I was dx’ed with fibromyalgia 20 years ago. I also have osteoarthritis, and will have knee replacement surgery in June. I don’t feel sorry for myself because of the pain. I exercise, go for walks, and stay busy. Being active really does help with fighting fibromyalgia pain for me. I am an RN with a hubs and 5 boys. Three are grown and two at home.

Jump to this post

@pattykakes Well you go girl! I love your outlook and attitude. I suppose being an RN and momma to 5 boys gives you a fighting spirit. I admire you because I know the struggle can be real. Exercising and keeping busy is key. Good for you.

Will it be your first knee replacement surgery? My husband had his first TKR last year at age 56 after pushing it off for too long. He regretted waiting so long because having surgery was the best thing he could have done for himself.
I'd like to introduce you to my fellow mentor and friend, Chris @artscaping. She had a TKR and may be helpful, should you have any questions going forward.

@rwinney

@pattykakes Well you go girl! I love your outlook and attitude. I suppose being an RN and momma to 5 boys gives you a fighting spirit. I admire you because I know the struggle can be real. Exercising and keeping busy is key. Good for you.

Will it be your first knee replacement surgery? My husband had his first TKR last year at age 56 after pushing it off for too long. He regretted waiting so long because having surgery was the best thing he could have done for himself.
I'd like to introduce you to my fellow mentor and friend, Chris @artscaping. She had a TKR and may be helpful, should you have any questions going forward.

Jump to this post

Thank you for for your kind words. I appreciate it. I was to have TKR March 16th but had to cancel because I texted positive for Covid and was in bed for 3 weeks. I have other residual effects but have the ok to have the surgery. Yes, I would like to connect with Chris. Can you tell me how? I am 69 years and and have a huge deficit when it comes to knowing how to operate electronics.

@bav

I appreciate your response. I developed c.dif after taking cefdinir for a UTI, then had a recurrence after taking fosfomycin. I just finished a two-week course of vancomycin hydrochloride. The worst seems over. The PA who had diagnosed the c.dif recommended Align pre-probiotic, an OTC with some fillers. The PA had also given me a low fiber diet that helped initially. I'm searching for a better way to avoid UTIs altogether but have tried many strategies. Part of problem is a prolapsed bladder supported by a pessary that doctors don't want to change often enough...I hope this is helpful.

Jump to this post

A friend had recurring UTIs until a urologist suggested D-mannose six months ago. Not one UTI since. D-mannose richest source is cranberries. But take the concentrated capsule or other form. It's worth a try?

Greetings @pattycakes, this is Chris. I found you. It’s sometimes easier that way. It sounds like you are ready for your TKR next month. It also sounds like you are handling your medical conditions well. How can I help you get ready for your TKR? I have now had two of those. The one last year was 10 years after the first one. So, I got the advantage of pre-surgery PT and at home exercises. If you do nothing else, please start at least 6 weeks in advance of your surgery. I received a packet of exercises and was quite ready when it was time. I had the Mako robotic this time and was very impressed with the accuracy of the procedure when there is a model of the surgical site for the clinician to follow. I also had same day surgery which was fine except that I did not participate in the medication chat with the surgeon. My life partner did participate but had a bit of a hard time remembering. So…..a phone call or two and I was on my way. PT started the day after surgery and my young lady was excellent. She worked in tandem with my MFR therapist………saying that she could monitor the exercises if my MFR therapist could handle the pain.

Don’t forget to use your own ice and elevation. That also helps. As your flexion increases with daily attention, be sure and maintain the upward climb. The two things that folks seem to stumble on are taking enough pain meds and using enough ice. What else is on your mind……sleeping? Driving? Golf or tennis? BTW,,,,,,I just turned 80 and am unable to keep up with the technology. And I was an IT director years ago.

Thanks @rwinney for the introduction. I promise I won’t get too techie!

May you be free of suffering and the causes of suffering.
Chris

Hi. I’m Barb and I have had chronic low back pain for over 30 years. I tried cannabis yet didn’t help me. I have been on OxyContin which gives me some relief, Vicodin, oxycodone, fentanyl patch and other OTC products. Honestly I am depressed after all these years. I have stayed away from more invasive treatments. Always thought going down that road would only leave me worse off. I am happy to have found a chronic by pain group. Thanks for any support.

@kjs1964 Hi, I have had chronic pain for so long—many motor vehicle accidents. Driving and walking take a total on your body. I am allergic to pain medicines, so I have to use natural modalities to help with the pain. I am blessed to have a strong faith, which is the first thing I do every morning. Blessings

@rwinney

@loke Your motto is very true! The worse thing we can do is compare. That is dangerous waters and not fair to do to ourselves. I enjoy helping others also, to find positive paths forward and realize life can happen.

It's nice that you like to help others and find answers to questions. Not everyone is good researcher or has the ability to research. Yay, you!!

Jump to this post

Thank You

My name is Jay. Chronic Back pain that no one can solve- Trying Sound Wave Therapy!
Looking for information on Red light NI light therapy for home use??

Please sign in or register to post a reply.