Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

@angusconn

how do I join this group.

Cori Connett

Jump to this post

Welcome, Cori. I see in your profile that you are following the Chronic Pain group (and other groups). By following a group, you are a member and have successfully joined. This means that posts from the Chronic Pain group and the other groups and blogs will show in your notifications and are highlighted in your daily digest.

Cori, what brings you to Mayo Clinic Connect? What conditions are you living with?

@pattykakes

I had never heard of this app until I saw it on here. It sounds like I would benefit from it. Where do I find the app? I’m 69 and not real up on electronics. Hope it’s easy to get.
Hope you have a great day! Thanks for sharing what you find helpful with the Curable app.

Jump to this post

Pattykakes--I'm 75 and definitely not tech savvy, but manage the Curable App fine. You can google Curable and try a week-long free trial, which I did. Then I paid for a year's subscription which was like $60. I know that's a big commitment, so it was great to do the free trial beforehand. I used to regularly stop at Starbucks for a latte, and figure I'm probably spending less on this!

@rebsue

Pattykakes--I'm 75 and definitely not tech savvy, but manage the Curable App fine. You can google Curable and try a week-long free trial, which I did. Then I paid for a year's subscription which was like $60. I know that's a big commitment, so it was great to do the free trial beforehand. I used to regularly stop at Starbucks for a latte, and figure I'm probably spending less on this!

Jump to this post

Thanks so much for your reply. I’m definitely going to give it a try.

@rwinney

@jaycurci Words to live by, J! Thank you for joining Connect, it's great to have you with us and bring such positivity and helpful suggestions.

After 3 weeks at Mayo's pain rehab center, I learned to "stay the course". It was, and will always be imperative to continue to apply all of the principles and tools I learned for stability.

Things do indeed take time. TTT , I like this. You mention not looking at your progress. I have two thoughts. One - you must be making progress to even say that which is AMAZING in itself!!! Two - I'm sad to hear that looking back at your current progress is not healthy for you. Typically, reflecting on ones progress should feel empowering and motivating. May I Ask why you feel otherwise?

Jump to this post

Any strain or exertion will cause abdominal and back pain. Like opening a Jar - weeding - on feet to long... So, all good. I think I'm also going to try to switch my supplementation to Standard Process and Mediherb. I'm good though I just spend a lot of my day lying down for relief and getting back up when rested. All exercise programs / no matter how slight are not tolerated.

@ibelieve2

Geniene...I've had 4 back surgeries needed asap at that moment and now my T9 is broken from a fall. I habe been on pain meds steady since 2012 paralyzed after surgery. I walked out of the hospital!! ✝ Now my T9 is sticking into my spinal cord with skin still attached. When it breaks loose I will be completely paralyzed. Pain Meds for the rest of my life until paralyzed and then I hope God takes me right away. I lost my son 5 months ago. Lyle was my everything in one beautiful son. No of else in my life on a monthly our yearly basis.

Jump to this post

My thoughts and prayers are with you! Please try and find something in your life that gives you Joy and be grateful for it. This is a short trip on this earth and you will be re-united with your Son soon. With Love - J

@jaycurci

Any strain or exertion will cause abdominal and back pain. Like opening a Jar - weeding - on feet to long... So, all good. I think I'm also going to try to switch my supplementation to Standard Process and Mediherb. I'm good though I just spend a lot of my day lying down for relief and getting back up when rested. All exercise programs / no matter how slight are not tolerated.

Jump to this post

@jaycurci Moderation is everything, isn't it? Have you found any modification hacks that might help for opening jar or weeding assistance? I too have difficulty weeding, for various reasons, yet I don't want to give up on doing it all together. I've been brainstorming and trying to work smarter not harder by problem solving. One thing that has worked for me is setting a timer and slowly increasing my task time until I reach what I feel is my plateau. Have you tried this technique?

Hi I’m Rena 67 Former RN Clinical Director Age 67 Disabled since age 52 Not properly Dx until age 60. I have been in intermittent pain since age 3 & chronic pain since age 52. I have mEDS(Myopathic) with crossover symptoms of Classical, degenerative disc disease osteoarthritis Have had 2 major spine surgeries for Spondylolisthesis & 10 other surgeries of various types. Have GI issues permanent nerve damage in my legs OAB Have an auditory processing disorder & more. Out of home can’t walk without either cane for short distances & rollstor for longer. Gets depressing sometimes being 67 but feeling like I’m in my 80s.

@rena55

Hi I’m Rena 67 Former RN Clinical Director Age 67 Disabled since age 52 Not properly Dx until age 60. I have been in intermittent pain since age 3 & chronic pain since age 52. I have mEDS(Myopathic) with crossover symptoms of Classical, degenerative disc disease osteoarthritis Have had 2 major spine surgeries for Spondylolisthesis & 10 other surgeries of various types. Have GI issues permanent nerve damage in my legs OAB Have an auditory processing disorder & more. Out of home can’t walk without either cane for short distances & rollstor for longer. Gets depressing sometimes being 67 but feeling like I’m in my 80s.

Jump to this post

We each must live in our own body. This was a revelation for me at age 66 with severe MAC infection and Bronchiectasis lung disease, plus degenerative arthritis . Sometimes it happens much younger due,to illness or inj6.

@rena55

Jump to this post

Greetings to you @rena55. I would also like to welcome you to Connect in addition to @sueinmn. Sue and I both have had some similar experiences as I have with you. I have also had several spine surgeries....3 at last count and I am being careful to not have anymore. It seems more uncanny that I have also had 10 other orthopedic surgeries.

And I have a pretty simple quality of life focus......that is to adhere to the quality of life objectives that I can support and accomplish with the assistance of my medical team. Most important right now is to keep up with the progressive pain from SFN by having two sessions of MFR (myofascial release therapy) every week and getting plenty of Yoga stretches, and walking exercise. Last year I undertook two joint replacement surgeries......knee and thumb so that at least I now have two very good knees and two capable thumbs. I want to keep up with whatever comes my way.......by practicing mindfulness and meditation along with spending special time with family and friends. Now here's the bottom line. I am already 80 and hoping to stay focused on finding joy in every day.

What can we do to help you find a benevolent path to acceptance?

May you be free, safe, and protected from inner and outer harm.
Chris

PMR initiated in 2014 with all the pain endured for that many years.
( I was blessed & cursed with a remission in 2015 for a year) afterward ME/FM. I’ve tried several biologics-with nothing. Still on prednisone.
The most helpful is studying up on diet, exercise, (a past triathlete) now (yoga, meditation) parasitic infections, relationship choices, termination of my work as a soft contact lens eye painter, hence, my identity. I live in NOLA 1/2 yr & an island in Maine the other. Sounds fun but nothing like this Stress!
The medical community, in lieu of Covid, allowed mishaps in my systemic treatments from 80+ doctors, therapists, PT, OT, hypnotism, voodoo, plus 1/2 million dollars~gone!
Not much else to brag about so prayer & love goes to anybody dealing with this hideousness

Please sign in or register to post a reply.