Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

@rwinney

Ah yes, I am familiar with the Curable app, but haven't heard from someone who uses it. I like what I found by researching. Did you like the app overall and do you continue to use it for guidance? Or is it something that you use briefly then move on from?

I graduated Mayo's Pain Rehabilitation Center and learned about changing my relationship with pain through cognitive behavioral therapy while there for 3 weeks. Not everyone can attend PRC so I am always scoping out other options to help members live more productively with a healthier mind set while facing chronic issues.

Jump to this post

I use the Curable app daily. I listen to the expert interviews and the Ask the Therapist programs and have learned a lot. I just started listening to some of the patient recovery stories and it's been very hopeful for me to hear. I regularly listen to the variety of brief meditations--when I feel myself begin to go into that panic mode, they can calm my heart rate. The somatic tracking brief meditation is a godsend to calm down. I like to think I am re-wiring my stroke-damaged brain...but, even if I'm not, the app is really the only thing I have to help me cope with the pain and believe I will get better.

I'm thinking strongly of doing a Video about Chronic Pain any suggestions???

@rwinney

@daliea I know how frustrating that must be for you. I had a situation that was similar. Have you had a skin biopsy to rule out small fiber neuropathy? Do you feel there is an unknown diagnosis yet to be found?

Unfortunately, moving beyond the acute phase and into having chronic symptoms means having to best learn how to live with what you have so you can regain control and quality of life. Granted it may be a newly defined control and quality of life.

Have you had the chance to watch the video I attached earlier?

Jump to this post

I'm currently trying SWT (Sound Wave Therapy - not sure yet about results but very positive info in Clinical Studied... I'm looking into Red/Infa-red light therapy as well. Supports cells and energizes you Mitochondria?? I went to a therapist specializing in Adhesions - It help a lot. Maybe worth pursuing these option. Good luck. All the best, J

@rebsue

I use the Curable app daily. I listen to the expert interviews and the Ask the Therapist programs and have learned a lot. I just started listening to some of the patient recovery stories and it's been very hopeful for me to hear. I regularly listen to the variety of brief meditations--when I feel myself begin to go into that panic mode, they can calm my heart rate. The somatic tracking brief meditation is a godsend to calm down. I like to think I am re-wiring my stroke-damaged brain...but, even if I'm not, the app is really the only thing I have to help me cope with the pain and believe I will get better.

Jump to this post

It will get better. TTT Things Take Time. I've begun to realize that not looking at my progress is healthier for me. Just stay the course- find things to be thankful for - try other therapies, eat cleaner , keep weight down etc.... All the best, J

@rebsue

Jump to this post

I had never heard of this app until I saw it on here. It sounds like I would benefit from it. Where do I find the app? I’m 69 and not real up on electronics. Hope it’s easy to get.
Hope you have a great day! Thanks for sharing what you find helpful with the Curable app.

@bav

I appreciate your response. I developed c.dif after taking cefdinir for a UTI, then had a recurrence after taking fosfomycin. I just finished a two-week course of vancomycin hydrochloride. The worst seems over. The PA who had diagnosed the c.dif recommended Align pre-probiotic, an OTC with some fillers. The PA had also given me a low fiber diet that helped initially. I'm searching for a better way to avoid UTIs altogether but have tried many strategies. Part of problem is a prolapsed bladder supported by a pessary that doctors don't want to change often enough...I hope this is helpful.

Jump to this post

I have IBS stemming from sugar consumption. It's taken me years to narrow it down to the culprit. But before I lowered my sugar intake I stayed on heavy doses of probiotics. It helped tremendously to triple the dose recommended. I finally spoke to a very knowledgeable dietician who confirmed that it wasn't harmful to me. She did say that DRs usually didn't tell their clients about pre and probiotics because they weren't drugs, just supplements. That was years ago and since then there is a much better understanding of them. My druggist keeps hers in the fridge and tells me that the kind that are most like food are the best.
I'm sorry you've had so many UTIs. I've never had one. My parents would get them however. They drank alcohol daily for many years and they also got kidney stones and gout. I've never had those problems either. I don't drink except at parties when I go to the beach once a year. I've often wondered if a record of drinking caused their internal bacteria issues. They didn't drink the last couple of years of their lives but I feel like the damage was done. I hope you find a way to avoid the UTIs. That sounds very hard to deal with. Much care to you, Sara

@colleenyoung

Hi all,
I'm Colleen, Community Director and part of Connect's moderator team along with Kelsey. I want to say a special thank you to @leh09 @19lin @seanbeck @suebreen54 @mlemieux @ladyjane85 @lolomarie @zjandre @briansr @salena54 @sharonmay7 for all your contributions and making new members feel welcome.

Cheers to continued connecting on Connect.

Jump to this post

how do I join this group.

Cori Connett

Hi I am D Kappel and I have just been diagnosed with TSHDS Antibody, so my neuropathy is immune mediated. I am looking for if other’s that may know what this means and have you had treatments that helped. I also am looking for different kinds of ways to help people with chronic pain. I dove into a lake when I was 22 ( 69 now ) I am only alive because I dove outward, not straight down. Anyhow I have degenerative disc disease with with bone spurs. I also have torn rotator cuff, meniscus torn in right knee, plus neuropathy in both feet. So I have checked the chronic pain sights but it’s the first part of my question I am wondering about. Help

@jaycurci

It will get better. TTT Things Take Time. I've begun to realize that not looking at my progress is healthier for me. Just stay the course- find things to be thankful for - try other therapies, eat cleaner , keep weight down etc.... All the best, J

Jump to this post

@jaycurci Words to live by, J! Thank you for joining Connect, it's great to have you with us and bring such positivity and helpful suggestions.

After 3 weeks at Mayo's pain rehab center, I learned to "stay the course". It was, and will always be imperative to continue to apply all of the principles and tools I learned for stability.

Things do indeed take time. TTT , I like this. You mention not looking at your progress. I have two thoughts. One - you must be making progress to even say that which is AMAZING in itself!!! Two - I'm sad to hear that looking back at your current progress is not healthy for you. Typically, reflecting on ones progress should feel empowering and motivating. May I Ask why you feel otherwise?

I have tried all the usual medications for pain and procedures for dealing w/ pain. I am now going to see what therauputic value I can achieve using a spinal stimulator. Other than, not sure what else can be done.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.