Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

@angiedani

Hi my name is Patricia and I have chronic pain and I'm having a hard time with it I'm 76 years old and I live alone and I could use some answers about gabapentin and baclofen if they would cause severe muscle cramps .thank you for any help that you can give

Jump to this post

Gabapentin is known to cause muscle cramps and many people cannot tolerate. It made me uncoordinated and I stopped it. Read the label from pharmacy before you stop it for any precautions. Baclofen which I’ve been on since 1998 does not cause muscle cramps but treats muscle spasms. You should also consider fluid intake and mineral deficiency as causes too. If it’s bothersome enough seek medical advice.

Concerning Gabapentin-I take every night 600 mg for nerve compression in my neck. I am not sure that it actually works to alleviate it, but it seems to help me sleep and has only one other effect that I am aware of-mind music. Since starting Gabapentin years ago I have very strong recall of songs from years past that will replay over and over. This is unusual for me but not troubling. If muscle cramps are an issue it is likely due to a chemical imbalance. Maybe it flushes calcium or some other mineral. I don't know for sure but muscle cramps are alleviated if I experience them at night by taking a calcium supplement the day after.

Hi everyone! I am 47 years old. I have chronic pain that started in my early 20s. Growing up I was always involved in sports, mainly gymnastics until middle school then soccer, basketball, and
cross-county. After years of episodic flare ups, I exhausted all “conventional” therapies. I couldn’t tolerate my work as a RN and decided to have my first fusion. I think it’s worth noting that both my Physiatrist and Spinal Surgeon saw significant changes on my MRIs in my cervical region- however, at that time, it wasn’t causing pain.
So, in 2013 at 38 years old, I had an Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (ALIF) for L4-L5 and L5-S1. For 5 years, it was wonderful with minimal pain.
Then in 2015, I began experiencing neck pain, stiffness, severe headaches, and radiculopathy into my arms. In 2016, after again trying conventional and alternative therapies to no avail, I had a Cervical fusion from C5-C6 by the same surgeon.

In between these years I’ve also experienced the following:
(No family medical history- adopted)
Hip fracture (non-mechanical)
Finger fracture (required surgery)
Fractured toes
Other fracture finger
Cracked molars (2)
Severe Rib pain- been to ED x 2- Once was told “Pluerisy” and then told “costocondritis”
1 37-week gestation
1 34.5-week gestation
TMJ - left side of jaw
Cold hands/feet
Veins “blow” if I hit my hand on a table for example
Livedo Reticularis

Recent Findings/ new symptoms
Postural Tachycardia - recently noticed (130s while standing)
Osteopenia on DEXA scan
Radiculopathy- hip/ legs, groin, abdomen!!!
Left rib pain
hypermobility of spine- crepitus

I don’t even know what type of doctor I need to see at this point. Any help or guidance is so appreciated!!

@dphillips221

Hi everyone! I am 47 years old. I have chronic pain that started in my early 20s. Growing up I was always involved in sports, mainly gymnastics until middle school then soccer, basketball, and
cross-county. After years of episodic flare ups, I exhausted all “conventional” therapies. I couldn’t tolerate my work as a RN and decided to have my first fusion. I think it’s worth noting that both my Physiatrist and Spinal Surgeon saw significant changes on my MRIs in my cervical region- however, at that time, it wasn’t causing pain.
So, in 2013 at 38 years old, I had an Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (ALIF) for L4-L5 and L5-S1. For 5 years, it was wonderful with minimal pain.
Then in 2015, I began experiencing neck pain, stiffness, severe headaches, and radiculopathy into my arms. In 2016, after again trying conventional and alternative therapies to no avail, I had a Cervical fusion from C5-C6 by the same surgeon.

Fractured toes
Other fracture finger
Cracked molars (2)
Severe Rib pain- been to ED x 2- Once was told “Pluerisy” and then told “costocondritis”
1 37-week gestation
1 34.5-week gestation
TMJ - left side of jaw
Cold hands/feet
Livedo Reticularis

Osteopenia on DEXA scan
Left rib pain

I don’t even know what type of doctor I need to see at this point. Any help or guidance is so appreciated!!

Jump to this post

Hello @dphillips221, Welcome to Connect. You certainly have been through a lot. I can't begin to imagine trying to figure out what is causing it and what might help. There is a discussion started by @jenniferhunter that you might find helpful - Myofascial Release Therapy (MFR) for treating compression and pain: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/myofascial-release-therapy-mfr-for-treating-compression-and-pain/

Have you heard of Myofascial Release Therapy?

@johnbishop

Hello @dphillips221, Welcome to Connect. You certainly have been through a lot. I can't begin to imagine trying to figure out what is causing it and what might help. There is a discussion started by @jenniferhunter that you might find helpful - Myofascial Release Therapy (MFR) for treating compression and pain: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/myofascial-release-therapy-mfr-for-treating-compression-and-pain/

Have you heard of Myofascial Release Therapy?

Jump to this post

No. Thank you for sharing the links…I’ll check them out!

First timer here, Teresa CES, Cauda Equina syndrome. I have no support system, my DR's an idiot! He won't even read the literature. I just feel so alone

@tesseo10

First timer here, Teresa CES, Cauda Equina syndrome. I have no support system, my DR's an idiot! He won't even read the literature. I just feel so alone

Jump to this post

Welcome. You won’t feel so alone here. While I don’t know much about your issues, I do know that if you don’t feel supported by your Dr it’s time to switch if at all possible.

@tesseo10

Jump to this post

Welcome @tesseo10, I don't have CES but I can tell you that you are not alone and I'm happy you found Connect where you can meet other members and learn from each other about your health conditions and what has helped. You may also be interested in the following discussions:

-- Cauda Equina Syndrome: Pain, symptoms, management & prognosis: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/cauda-equina/
-- Cauda equina syndrome (CES): https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/my-story-in-short/

You mentioned your doctor won't read the literature. Is this something you read that might help? Do you have any questions you are trying to get answered?

@dphillips221

Fractured toes
Other fracture finger
Cracked molars (2)
1 37-week gestation
1 34.5-week gestation
TMJ - left side of jaw
Cold hands/feet
Livedo Reticularis

Osteopenia on DEXA scan
Left rib pain

Jump to this post

I am currently 53 and also had spinal surgery at L4-L5. L5-S1(bi-lateral laminotomy at age 50) to relieve chronic pain from stenosis. I remain a side- or stomach-sleeper as sleeping on my back, pillows or not, still causes severe pain.

Approx. 3 weeks ago, I started experiencing almost identical symptoms you described —what felt like severe tension headaches at the base of my skull, along with neck pain, and stiffness, although the pain shooting down into my right arm has been going on for about 18 months, with both conventional & alternative therapies no longer working as well.

The thought of cervical surgery and potential limited mobility scares my to death, but the increasing severity and frequency of the headaches and neck pain is becoming unbearable. Did your doctor(s) or surgeon ever provide you with a specific diagnosis or alternative options to your cervical fusion?

@dphillips221

Fractured toes
Other fracture finger
Cracked molars (2)
1 37-week gestation
1 34.5-week gestation
TMJ - left side of jaw
Cold hands/feet
Livedo Reticularis

Osteopenia on DEXA scan
Left rib pain

Jump to this post

Have you been tested for Lymes?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.