Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

In reply to @renataml "What is ibs?" + (show)
@renataml

What is ibs?

Jump to this post

I have been suffering with neuropathy for 3 or 4 years most profoundly in the last 2 years mostly in my legs. Shooting pains grip my lower legs mostly at night preventing me from sleep. In the last few weeks I have been mostly only able to walk with my walker and even then find my feet trembling with pain, In the last weeks my whole body has started to hurt. I feel very frightened for the future. I have been on a variety of medications non on which work. I have been on 1,000 mg. of gabapentin, morphine, Cymbalta Lyrica and others to no avail. It is no exaggeration to report that most nights I get 2 to 3 hours, of sleep at night, My doctor continues to try every drug available. I live in CCRC community and no one reports this disability. The future looks very bleak since noone has found a treatment that helps the pain.

Open fracture lower left extremity. Hardware placement. Later resulted in Chronic osteomyelitis, hardware removal, and muscle flap surgery.

@renataml

Thank you and yes I am aware of it. I do not have TMJ and additionally I am wearing the custom made night guard to prevent grinding my teethes a night. I was diagnosed with the fatty liver about a year ago. I am overweight, I do not exercise and I've been taking statins for cholesterol and other pain medications for my headaches. I am aware that all of that could contribute to my headaches. Today I already woke up with severe headaches, now feeling better after taking 2 different medications, and was unable to work. Nothing really helps. I was getting botox shots every 3 months, 3 different monthly injections to prevent headaches and now I've been taking Nurtec 75mg every other day to prevent headaches and I still have headaches. I found something called fatty liver migraines. However, I've had headaches for years now and my liver was ok. Since March I've been going for myofascial therapy every week, even today and I still have headaches, which are totally debilitating.

Jump to this post

I am SO SORRY you deal with this. I have series of health issues and definitely know how debilitating it is. I'm on Lyrica for fibromyalgia, tramadol for pain, tizanadine for pelvic pain and spasms, sleeping pills, etc. Never in my wildest dreams thought I would take 14 different meds, it's crazy. Myself I think best thing is having good open relationship with my doctors.
I haven't worked in 14 years, have you looked into disability?
One of my best friends had hormonal migraines, can remember her just throwing up over and over when we were younger. I have had a few migraines over the years, but i thank God not on regular basis.
Also understand the inability to exercise. I have seen these advertisement on my phone for some sitting exercises, called "grow young". You can either stream on TV, laptop, etc or buy the DVD'S
I have considered these recently, you can purchase on Amazon or the Grow Young website. Just a thought if you can consider doing something like this.
It's very nice to communicate with others that deal with chronic pain, and understand 100%. You take care of yourself and send a message anytime.

@rozbieber

I have been suffering with neuropathy for 3 or 4 years most profoundly in the last 2 years mostly in my legs. Shooting pains grip my lower legs mostly at night preventing me from sleep. In the last few weeks I have been mostly only able to walk with my walker and even then find my feet trembling with pain, In the last weeks my whole body has started to hurt. I feel very frightened for the future. I have been on a variety of medications non on which work. I have been on 1,000 mg. of gabapentin, morphine, Cymbalta Lyrica and others to no avail. It is no exaggeration to report that most nights I get 2 to 3 hours, of sleep at night, My doctor continues to try every drug available. I live in CCRC community and no one reports this disability. The future looks very bleak since noone has found a treatment that helps the pain.

Jump to this post

Dear Roz,

I am really sorry for your suffering!!! I know how the pain feels and ever more so the helplessness. I only know one thing the more medications you take it's worse. Just think about your liver, kidneys and stomach. That's what taking lots of medicine does to your organs. The damage of those many times is irreversible!!! However, I understand when you're in pain you don't think about it. All of those medications are helping and alleviating the symptoms, but not really treating the core of the problem. I have no answer to that. I myself take lots of pain medications and other as well and now I have a problem with my liver. My enzymes have been elevated for the past one year. I am simple scarred for the future??? Try to maybe change the doctor, who would be willing to help you in other ways with less medications. I hope this is helpful. Good luck and be better, goodnight!!!

@renataml

Dear Roz,

I am really sorry for your suffering!!! I know how the pain feels and ever more so the helplessness. I only know one thing the more medications you take it's worse. Just think about your liver, kidneys and stomach. That's what taking lots of medicine does to your organs. The damage of those many times is irreversible!!! However, I understand when you're in pain you don't think about it. All of those medications are helping and alleviating the symptoms, but not really treating the core of the problem. I have no answer to that. I myself take lots of pain medications and other as well and now I have a problem with my liver. My enzymes have been elevated for the past one year. I am simple scarred for the future??? Try to maybe change the doctor, who would be willing to help you in other ways with less medications. I hope this is helpful. Good luck and be better, goodnight!!!

Jump to this post

I woke up in screaming pain all over my body and called for help. I live in a multilevel community. The nurse came and looked at me helplessly and wanted to know if I wanted to go to the hospital. I considered it but took my night morphine pills pills and tylenol. The pain eased off. What is going to happen to me. I am planniing to move to a higher level of care by Thanksgiving. My daughter lives nearby (20 min. away). If this happens again I will go to hospital. My life is not worth living.

In reply to @renataml "What is ibs?" + (show)
@renataml

What is ibs?

Jump to this post

IBS is irritable bowel syndrome

@rozbieber

I woke up in screaming pain all over my body and called for help. I live in a multilevel community. The nurse came and looked at me helplessly and wanted to know if I wanted to go to the hospital. I considered it but took my night morphine pills pills and tylenol. The pain eased off. What is going to happen to me. I am planniing to move to a higher level of care by Thanksgiving. My daughter lives nearby (20 min. away). If this happens again I will go to hospital. My life is not worth living.

Jump to this post

Roz, your life is always worth living because you are here for a reason. I know what pain does to a person but you must pray always and believe that there could be a miracle. Ask for help from where you live. I will pray for you.

@mikaylar

Roz, your life is always worth living because you are here for a reason. I know what pain does to a person but you must pray always and believe that there could be a miracle. Ask for help from where you live. I will pray for you.

Jump to this post

There are no drugs for this. Pain reflections stay in your brain from
Early childhood. All the pain is delivered
in a blow to the body at once. Pain is essential to living but some get this genetic build up in the brain delivered at once. O how I wish there were away to alter the pain from the brain. Relax, exercise ,keep moving distract your thinking to good thoughts . If you need to go or have someone take you for a ride or conversation to get your mind off it helps. Bless all of us that suffer.

@rozbieber

Jump to this post

Good morning @rozbieber

Have you been reading posts on Neuropathy during the last 10 years? If so, then you know that at this time there is no cure for neuropathy......there is pain management and advice about lifestyle changes. Have you received a neuropathy diagnosis? Did you ever have a skin biopsy test for SFN, small fiber neuropathy?

Have you ever tried medical cannabis? Until I found pain management options to prescription drugs, I had very similar feelings about not being able to go forward with some sense of joy. Then I found Connect. if you haven't already, it might be helpful to review my posts and those of @rwinney, @johnbishop, @lorirenee1.

I am also wondering if you have been able to participate in mindfulness training and meditation? I am able to look forward to the next hour and the next day in large part because of those two mind/body skills.

......and please know that I find your life worth sharing with me. Are you able to have moments of joy during the day?
Do you have plans for tomorrow that can be a distraction from your pain and discomfort?

May you be safe, protected, and free from inner and outer harm.

Chris

@rozbieber

Jump to this post

Hello Roz. I feel your pain and am sorry you are suffering this way.

What I learned while attending Mayo Clinic's Pain Rehab Center was to start cutting off the many fuel lines to my fire to decrease pain. There are 4 components to do this:

- chemical
- emotional
- behavioral
- physical

You mentioned morphine. Narcotics are notoriously not used for chronic pain. Narcotics induce hyperalgesia which is induced pain, and become counter productive in helping. Long term use creates cognitive impairment among dependency and damage to organs. They are used short term for this reason and given to folks after surgery, or severe cancer patients for pain.

Do you speak to a psychologist to emotionally handle your pain? You need an outlet as living in chronic pain can become overwhelming to do alone.

Do you try your best to find distraction and not dwell on your pain so that it does not produce counter productive behavioral issues? Do you know anyone funny and positive that takes your mind to a happy place?

What physical activity do you do? There is always modification and moderation in order to accommodate your abilities, but definitely ways to be more physically active.

I see you've been a Connect member for 10 years. Thank you for having faith in what we promote on Connect and sticking with us. We're here to encourage and educate you, and let you vent briefly when you need to.

I hope today is a better day for you Roz. Sending lots of positivity your way for a better tomorrow. 🌻

Please sign in or register to post a reply.