Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

@rozbieber

I woke up in screaming pain all over my body and called for help. I live in a multilevel community. The nurse came and looked at me helplessly and wanted to know if I wanted to go to the hospital. I considered it but took my night morphine pills pills and tylenol. The pain eased off. What is going to happen to me. I am planniing to move to a higher level of care by Thanksgiving. My daughter lives nearby (20 min. away). If this happens again I will go to hospital. My life is not worth living.

Jump to this post

Is your pain coming from nerve entrapment? Could it be ACNES?

I'm Rita and have had chronic low back pain since the 70s. It was reinjured in 1995 plus have severe shoulder pain and various areas of arthritis etc etc!! Treating with a different pain clinic following move to MN. Difficult with new docs and other medical issues, adjusting to living alone after becoming a widow and not getting the support from my family who were to help with my move. Look forward to learning from others with chronic pain. Sharing our pain is good.

Hi to everyone,
I’m new to the Connect group and will be visiting Mayo in Jacksoville in a couple months. I’ve been seen in Rochester about a decade ago for spinal injuries. I’ve been diagnosed with severe CRPS Type 2 as well as other spinal disorders. I’ve had over 57 surgeries and hundreds of procedures along my way of life. Eight of those are back and neck surgeries leaving me fused from the Sacrum - T 4 and C3-6. I have very limited movement and my back muscles are in constant spasms. My pain has spread to over 80% of my body. The worst of it in my feet and right arm. The nerve weaknesses and pain has left me bedridden and wheelchair bound. When I stand or try to walk, my left leg goes totally numb and then I fall over. Even with the use of my crutches.
I use a combination of narcotics, muscle relaxants and nuerostimulating meds to help me. This used to manage my pain until the doctors started cutting back my pain meds. It was working great for 20 years then the government got involved in my treatment.
My auto immune system is starting to revolt and I’m having trouble with blood flow to my lower extremities. I don’t know what to do next. That’s basically why I’m going to Mayo again. Thanks for letting me vent!

thank you. I take morphijne because I do not sleep. I get about 2 or 3 hours of sleep a night. I know it does not help chronic pain but as you see I suffer from this double wheammy, pain and no sleep.

@msg

Hi to everyone,
I’m new to the Connect group and will be visiting Mayo in Jacksoville in a couple months. I’ve been seen in Rochester about a decade ago for spinal injuries. I’ve been diagnosed with severe CRPS Type 2 as well as other spinal disorders. I’ve had over 57 surgeries and hundreds of procedures along my way of life. Eight of those are back and neck surgeries leaving me fused from the Sacrum - T 4 and C3-6. I have very limited movement and my back muscles are in constant spasms. My pain has spread to over 80% of my body. The worst of it in my feet and right arm. The nerve weaknesses and pain has left me bedridden and wheelchair bound. When I stand or try to walk, my left leg goes totally numb and then I fall over. Even with the use of my crutches.
I use a combination of narcotics, muscle relaxants and nuerostimulating meds to help me. This used to manage my pain until the doctors started cutting back my pain meds. It was working great for 20 years then the government got involved in my treatment.
My auto immune system is starting to revolt and I’m having trouble with blood flow to my lower extremities. I don’t know what to do next. That’s basically why I’m going to Mayo again. Thanks for letting me vent!

Jump to this post

Hey there, welcome @msg, thank you for joining Connect. No worries, we all need to vent sometime. I'm sorry to read about your pain journey. What brings you to Jacksonville Mayo? Are you seeing a doctor or attending pain rehab?

@ritarose

I'm Rita and have had chronic low back pain since the 70s. It was reinjured in 1995 plus have severe shoulder pain and various areas of arthritis etc etc!! Treating with a different pain clinic following move to MN. Difficult with new docs and other medical issues, adjusting to living alone after becoming a widow and not getting the support from my family who were to help with my move. Look forward to learning from others with chronic pain. Sharing our pain is good.

Jump to this post

Hello Rita @ritarose, thank you for joining Connect, and reaching out to share and seek support. I'm happy to hear you are working with a pain clinic. It sounds as though you've had some challenges lately but are prevailing. You will most likely hear from others who are from MN, not me though, I'm a New Yorker. We do share the same unruly weather however. 😜

Rita, do you mind sharing some of the techniques you presently use for managing pain? What hobbies do you have that bring joy?

@rozbieber

I have been suffering with neuropathy for 3 or 4 years most profoundly in the last 2 years mostly in my legs. Shooting pains grip my lower legs mostly at night preventing me from sleep. In the last few weeks I have been mostly only able to walk with my walker and even then find my feet trembling with pain, In the last weeks my whole body has started to hurt. I feel very frightened for the future. I have been on a variety of medications non on which work. I have been on 1,000 mg. of gabapentin, morphine, Cymbalta Lyrica and others to no avail. It is no exaggeration to report that most nights I get 2 to 3 hours, of sleep at night, My doctor continues to try every drug available. I live in CCRC community and no one reports this disability. The future looks very bleak since noone has found a treatment that helps the pain.

Jump to this post

Constant pain causes often causes severe depression. May want to seek the help of a pain manager, which includes a pain management psychologist (and maybe a vascular doctor and/or a neurologist). There are tools at the doctors disposal that he (or she) may use to mitigate the pain.

@rwinney

Hey there, welcome @msg, thank you for joining Connect. No worries, we all need to vent sometime. I'm sorry to read about your pain journey. What brings you to Jacksonville Mayo? Are you seeing a doctor or attending pain rehab?

Jump to this post

I’m planning on seeing pain management and spine health doctors. I’m still waiting for for my appointment. They’re in the process of gathering my medical records. With all the problems I’m having, I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up in the pain rehab program.

@msg

I’m planning on seeing pain management and spine health doctors. I’m still waiting for for my appointment. They’re in the process of gathering my medical records. With all the problems I’m having, I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up in the pain rehab program.

Jump to this post

I'm sure Mayo will give a thorough review of your medical records and advise accordingly.

Will you please keep us updated on your appointment progress?

@rwinney

I'm sure Mayo will give a thorough review of your medical records and advise accordingly.

Will you please keep us updated on your appointment progress?

Jump to this post

You bet I will. Thanks for the support!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.