Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

I do live in south east Mn, surrounded by Mayo Clinic's. With the Covid this past year nothing or no one was open. I have asked for recomondations for special conditions and everything was filled up for months and months. I thought maybe there was a special Sister Kinney type rehabilitation center offered by Mayo

@lvon

I do live in south east Mn, surrounded by Mayo Clinic's. With the Covid this past year nothing or no one was open. I have asked for recomondations for special conditions and everything was filled up for months and months. I thought maybe there was a special Sister Kinney type rehabilitation center offered by Mayo

Jump to this post

@johnbishop Do you have any ideas? to help with this?
Sue

@sueinmn

@johnbishop Do you have any ideas? to help with this?
Sue

Jump to this post

@sueinmn and @lvon, I know Mayo Clinic has the Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center which has pools and exercise classes but I don't know if any are geared for pain/rehab. It may be worth calling to see - (507) 266-4688

Here are a couple in the area that may offer the services...
-- ActivePT and Sports: https://www.activeptandsports.com/services/specialized/aquatic-therapy/
-- ExercisABILITIES: https://www.exercisabilities.org/rehabilitation/physical-therapy/

There are also pool therapy services around the cities area that uses HydroWorx pools that are geared towards pain relief but I have no experience other than reading their website info - https://www.hydroworx.com/contact/locations/

Thanks for the info., it will help a old rodeo clown that has had 20 broken bones.

@johnbishop

@sueinmn and @lvon, I know Mayo Clinic has the Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center which has pools and exercise classes but I don't know if any are geared for pain/rehab. It may be worth calling to see - (507) 266-4688

Here are a couple in the area that may offer the services...
-- ActivePT and Sports: https://www.activeptandsports.com/services/specialized/aquatic-therapy/
-- ExercisABILITIES: https://www.exercisabilities.org/rehabilitation/physical-therapy/

There are also pool therapy services around the cities area that uses HydroWorx pools that are geared towards pain relief but I have no experience other than reading their website info - https://www.hydroworx.com/contact/locations/

Jump to this post

Thank you John - I thought you would be able to point @ivon to some resources.
Sue

@dj123

Hi
My name Dj123
I'm 62 and dealing with pain all my life ,too much to write about in one sitting...
I'm looking for pain relief for my nerve pain in my feet, I been everywhere and tried everything from all medications ,nerve blocks ,accuppuncture, etc.nothing works ,and pain is getting worse .
Any suggestions ?
Thanks

Jump to this post

@dj123 have you been diagnosed with neuropathy?

@tompet

Hi, my name is Tommy and I have several chronic diseases. I am not living in the US and am moving from Singapore back to my home country Sweden. I was first sick in 2001 in Sweden and got wrong diagnose and disability pension in 2004. In 2005 I moved to Singapore and the climate made it a lot better so I started working and cancelled my disability pension. But it got worse and I haven't been able to work for some years and I got help from the health care system here after ending up in the emergency.

It has taken time and the first diagnose was that my knees was worn out and that I had multiple polyarthritis and was put in a wheelchair. I got physiotherapy in warm water and it has helped me a lot. Now I am diagnosed with fibromyalgia, arthritis, chronic sinusitis and chronic pelvic pain syndrome as my prostate and urine bladder gives me problems. On top of that my left lung is collapsing, I have Meckel's Diverticulum (a pocket on the colon) and when they examined that, colonoscopy, they found the beginning to colon cancer. At this time it was benign but they could not see the whole colon clearly and want it to be done again in Sweden. Like that wasn't enough I also had a heart attack 26 August last year with following surgery and in the middle of November I was back to hospital with heart problems. My heart was beating to slow and irregular. Tomorrow I will be admitted for a sleep study as I suffer a lot from insomnia.

I also have an abusive marriage and starved so I lost 25 kg and was diagnosed with malnutrition. Thankfully I got help from the social welfare so I could at least eat one meal a day. I am very thankful for the help I have got here in Singapore; they have done a lot for me. After several years of struggle in court I finally got help from legal aid and am getting a divorce from my wife and can return to my home country. I have tried to leave before but my wife has stopped me and now I have to leave because I will lose my PR because of the divorce.

But I have nowhere to go. I am going back to a place I have lived before but because of the refugee situation in Sweden there is no housing available. Even the health care system is trying to make it hard for me to come there. I have a daughter and grandchildren there and my daughter is helping me but fighting with the bureaucrats is horrible. I just have to go there and just hope they will help me otherwise I will end up on the street without health care. The catch 22 is that I can't stay with my daughter because then they will say I don't need help. The Swedish system is for refuges not for helping returning citizens. And they misdiagnosed me before. I hope I at least can refill my medications as I am not allowed to take everything with me into the country and I so badly need a wheelchair. Hope I can get help with it.

Sorry for writing so long but I am in a lot of pain and the situation is desperate so I need all the input I can get. Thank you.

Jump to this post

I'm sorry, but your story is nothing but just heart breaking. Good luck in the future and God Bless you for hanging in there. And I thought I had issues.

I had back surgery in July to remove ligament material that had grown into the small spaces in my spine. It was pressing on my spinal cord and causing pain in my middle back and down the backs of my legs. The surgery was easy and successful; local anesthetic, I drove home and rested, I could walk right away, I was back running in a few days - without pain in my back! I have the same pain in my back and legs again, the vertebra above the one he cleaned out needs to be cleaned out so I'll do it again. He said he couldn't do both at the same time as it is too hard on the patient. I have an "old school" orthopedist who called my back problem Spinal Stenosis and diagnosed right away just from my description of where the pain was. Then he took xrays and showed me exactly what he meant. I also have axonal sensory neuropathy but the pain in my back was different from the neuropathy pain I've been dealing with for years. I'm grateful for these well-trained doctors. There was a pamphlet in one doctor's office that described Spinal Stenosis and the operation I underwent. If my description of my pain sounds familiar to you, perhaps you have the same thing ... ? Peggy

@tompet

Thank you for your support. It warms my heart that people care. I am 55 years old and I would like to be able to do things for 10 - 15 years more even if I have to sit in a wheelchair. I am quite capable of doing and solving things so I think I will find a way forward. But I struggle a lot with my self-worth as I was raised to take care of my siblings and when I needed help from them they was not able to help me. I know that I have to take better care of myself, eat better and a lot of other things but I feel so guilty when I do things for myself.

I have two small parrots, Lovebirds, and they mean everything to me as they are my children right now. They are very important to my mental health and I take them with me when I move but some people think I am crazy for loving them so much and it is quite costly to get them with me. But the same people wouldn’t question if it was a dog. It makes me feel guilty but at the same time I know that I wouldn’t go without them.

I just came back from a hospital where I have spent the night for a sleep study. I have no idea of the result, all I know is that I was awake until 4 am and still need more sleep.

I struggle a lot with my diseases, some weeks are so bad so everything is pain and the only thing to do is to rest. I have to go and shop myself and for every day out I need at least 2 – 3 days rest. The problem is that the big pain does not come right away; it comes after 20 – 30 minutes and then is too late to do something about it. Worst is when the hip is aching because then it get so hard to walk. The hips are x-rayed and the joints seem to be ok, it is the fibromyalgia in the big leg muscle that is giving me the pain.

Even when I have all this pain I think it is important to focus on something else than my pain. I don’t want to sit and feel sorry about myself all the time. I am educated about child abuse and have worked with it in the past. Then I also voluntarily worked with abuse against men and from men. It is my goal to be able to go around and talk about abuse against men as I have knowledge and experience about it that can be important to share. In Sweden I was doing research about bullying about 20 years ago and when I left there has not been any more research done. And it is much needed. But first I have to find ways to take care of and improve myself.

Jump to this post

Tommy: Ifeel your pain. Take it to God in prayer. DO NOT GIVE UP.😘🙏🙏💕💕

Hi my name is Patricia and I have chronic pain and I'm having a hard time with it I'm 76 years old and I live alone and I could use some answers about gabapentin and baclofen if they would cause severe muscle cramps .thank you for any help that you can give

Please sign in or register to post a reply.