Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

Wondering. I have a class A CDL. Would a spinal stimulator still allow me to pass CDL physical?

@stantallusa

Wondering. I have a class A CDL. Would a spinal stimulator still allow me to pass CDL physical?

Jump to this post

That would be a question for the Department of Transportation. Since it is a device, and not a drug, I think it probably would be OK.
Can you check?
Sue

@debkl

Effective by what definition? Placebo effect? If alternative methods are studied in well designed trials and proven to be effective, then they are not alternative.

Jump to this post

The expense of clinical trials prohibits research. Research that is funded by pharmaceutical companies results in flawed conclusions which are needed to please the funders. You can fill pages to report all the drugs that have been recalled after clinical trials have approved them as safe and effective.

@krisjb1

The expense of clinical trials prohibits research. Research that is funded by pharmaceutical companies results in flawed conclusions which are needed to please the funders. You can fill pages to report all the drugs that have been recalled after clinical trials have approved them as safe and effective.

Jump to this post

That's one of tbe biggest myths about alt med. There is an extensive body of research on many alternative therapies, such as acupuncture, myofascial release, all kinds of body work and supplementation, and others, funded by govt, universities, private organizations, and individuals.

@organizingkaos

I agree. Alternative methods are no longer alternative. That is the endgame I am working towards. How do we get there? What is needed to bring alternative treatments into current healthcare? Research, credible studies and societal acceptance? People need to be given all information and avenues. Even if that includes alternative options. (All) Knowledge is power.

Jump to this post

Two other sites that I use when I'm in doubt of alternative treatments, supplements, etc..

FDA's Health Fraud Page
-- https://www.fda.gov/consumers/health-fraud-scams

NIH's National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH) which offers guidance about integrative health and how to evaluate it.
-- https://nccih.nih.gov/health/decisions

Thank you. This information is great and extremely helpful. I will check them out.

@grannyhowdo

Hi I’m grannyhowdo, I just had a pain pump put in for chronic back and leg pain after 5 back surgeries. What have others experienced, does it get better, right now I’m pretty miserable and it hasn’t helped my back like I expected.

Jump to this post

Hello @grannyhowdo and welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. I can see you are looking to find out from others when you might start to experience some relief with your pain pump.

Can you share a bit more about your back pain and leg pain and what has all been going on so that you can better connect with other members?

@sueinmn

Maybe the terms need to be defined. This paper is very helpful: https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/complementary-alternative-or-integrative-health-whats-in-a-name

Alternative medicine is the use methods not considered mainstream by modern medicine - "detox" would fall into this category, as would more common practices as massage therapy, acupuncture and herbal medicine. Some of these have a very long history across cultures, others are more recent and can be controversial.

Complementary medicine it the use of conventional and alternative medicine therapies together. For example, my pain management program which combines medication, myofascial release, massage and exercise.

There are MANY things to be learned and valued from both conventional and alternative practices, so it makes sense to integrate them for the best possible outcome.

Another caveat: only some alternative practices and substances are regulated in any way. To me that means "Buyer Beware" - as @lindes pointed out, detox has been largely found to be ineffective, and doesn't come without risks: https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/detoxes-and-cleanses-what-you-need-to-know

Finally, a word about supplements, which are often part of alternative practices. Supplements are not regulated by the FDA, may be sold on-line, in health food, grocery and drug stores, even in gas stations and dollar stores. Some are touted as miracle cures for anything from baldness to cancer. Sometimes the ingredients are not even disclosed on the label, or have made-up names that are proprietary. Always make sure you know exactly what is in a supplement and how each ingredient may interact with your conditions or medications. (You can look here:https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/index ) Buy from a reputable source and brand, not the cheapest one - look for products certified by an independent lab, with the name of that lab on the label. And beware of anything you can only find on-line or on TV sold by the maker/promoter.

Does this help?
Sue

Jump to this post

Great follow up Sue!

In reply to @sharonandpaul "unsubscribe" + (show)
@sharonandpaul

unsubscribe

Jump to this post

please unsubscribe my email

Please sign in or register to post a reply.