Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

@rwinney

Yes, I've remained on Pregabalin (Lyrica).

PRC is a commitment. I'm from NY so I stayed at the hotel across from Mayo for 3 weeks. Others commuted if close enough or stayed at a hotel during the week and drive home on weekends.

Jump to this post

Hi Rachel @rwinney Thank you again for your response. I'm wondering if this program is geared more towards people who are wanting to stop taking opiates?

@greenacres

Hi Rachel @rwinney Thank you again for your response. I'm wondering if this program is geared more towards people who are wanting to stop taking opiates?

Jump to this post

That certainly can be one component, but the program encompasses much more beyond opiate use. As I told my family when I came home...anyone, chronic pain or not, could benefit from the overall approach of various therapies and educational teachings. Also, not all participants take opiates.

I haven't had any real positive results from pain mgt. treatment. Happy to read that others are having positive results.

Does the Mayo Clinic have any aquatic centers for pain in Mn? I find all groups full.

@lvon

Does the Mayo Clinic have any aquatic centers for pain in Mn? I find all groups full.

Jump to this post

What do you mean by aquatic centers for pain? Are you in Minnesota?
Sue

@rwinney

That certainly can be one component, but the program encompasses much more beyond opiate use. As I told my family when I came home...anyone, chronic pain or not, could benefit from the overall approach of various therapies and educational teachings. Also, not all participants take opiates.

Jump to this post

Thank you Rachel @rwinney It seems like it would be difficult not to benefit from a program such as this. I was always fascinated by Jon Kabat Zinn's MBSR program in Mass back when it was featured on Bill Moyer's program in the early 90s.

@kenc

I haven't had any real positive results from pain mgt. treatment. Happy to read that others are having positive results.

Jump to this post

I'm sorry to hear that @kenc. My positive results have been great, but I did have to understand and accept the reality of always have chronic pain and symptoms. Learning to work with them verses against them has been helpful. Cognitive behavioral therapy was a big help and is ongoing for me.

There are many programs out there if you hunt. It's about finding the one that works for you or is accessible to you. Have you considered Mayo's Pain Rehab Center?

@dj123

Hi
My name Dj123
I'm 62 and dealing with pain all my life ,too much to write about in one sitting...
I'm looking for pain relief for my nerve pain in my feet, I been everywhere and tried everything from all medications ,nerve blocks ,accuppuncture, etc.nothing works ,and pain is getting worse .
Any suggestions ?
Thanks

Jump to this post

Hello @dj123, welcome to Connect. Thank you for joining the conversation. I know how frustrated you must be with your chronic pain, I'm sorry. Have you tried pain rehabilitation of any sort yet? Do mind sharing what types, if so?

@sueinmn

What do you mean by aquatic centers for pain? Are you in Minnesota?
Sue

Jump to this post

I am looking for muscle therapy for pain in a pool setting.

@lvon

I am looking for muscle therapy for pain in a pool setting.

Jump to this post

When I needed pool therapy, I began by contacting local PT practices to see who had an ongoing relationship with a location that had a therapeutic pool. Then I chose the most convenient one. They supervised my initial in-pool sessions, then I was able to purchase a pass to use the therapeutic pool on my own (within their schedule) as long as I had at least one session per month with my therapist in the pool. I learned this process when my Mom was similarly treated post-stroke by pool therapy.
These were both done in heated, accessible pools - not a whirlpool. Because it was a therapy pool, and I was an "established" client, I was able to use the various tools they had there.
Sue

Please sign in or register to post a reply.