Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

In reply to @sharonandpaul "unsubscribe" + (show)
@sharonandpaul

unsubscribe

Jump to this post

Follow these prompts from the "Getting Started on Mayo Clinic Connect"
Mute a discussion thread
Sometimes you may wish to follow a group and get every email, but there is a specific discussion that you’re not interested in. You can stop emails for that discussion by muting it.

Go to the discussion.
Click the ellipsis symbol (⋯) below the first post to see Actions for this Discussion, and select Mute this Discussion.

@krisjb1

The expense of clinical trials prohibits research. Research that is funded by pharmaceutical companies results in flawed conclusions which are needed to please the funders. You can fill pages to report all the drugs that have been recalled after clinical trials have approved them as safe and effective.

Jump to this post

As the one time medical research grants authority, the US Government funds $billions into medical research. However, most clinical trials are paid for by the pharmaceutical companies. The trials cost many times $million and can cover several decades and may even be conducted in several continents and many time the trials indicate either the medication is useless or even dangerous and therefore the research is shelved. What I find disturbing though is that most medical research is about treating the disease and not curing it.

@royboy4469

Can you give me a few details as to how it is done and what you do each day, etc. Thank you. Roy

Jump to this post

Hello @royboy4469. I apologize for my delayed response. Thank you for asking about daily life at Mayo's Pain Rehab Center (PRC) . I'd like to include a link to the program which offers good information:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/departments-centers/pain-rehabilitation-center/sections/overview/ovc-20481691

The program is very structured and has a lot of content over 3 weeks. Days consist of goal tracking, morning stretches, cognitive behavioral therapy, physical therapy, lunch, occupational therapy, bio-feedback therapy, pharmaceutical consult, medication taper, socialization, distraction, humor... not necessarily in that order.

I hope this helps to give you a better idea. Are you considering attending PRC?

PS: Fun fact...my Dad's name is Roy and people call him Roy boy. I was drawn to your Connect handle! 😊

@rwinney

Hello @royboy4469. I apologize for my delayed response. Thank you for asking about daily life at Mayo's Pain Rehab Center (PRC) . I'd like to include a link to the program which offers good information:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/departments-centers/pain-rehabilitation-center/sections/overview/ovc-20481691

The program is very structured and has a lot of content over 3 weeks. Days consist of goal tracking, morning stretches, cognitive behavioral therapy, physical therapy, lunch, occupational therapy, bio-feedback therapy, pharmaceutical consult, medication taper, socialization, distraction, humor... not necessarily in that order.

I hope this helps to give you a better idea. Are you considering attending PRC?

PS: Fun fact...my Dad's name is Roy and people call him Roy boy. I was drawn to your Connect handle! 😊

Jump to this post

Hello @rwinney Did you find the Mayo Pain Rehab beneficial for your neuropathic pain and how you managed it?

@greenacres

Hello @rwinney Did you find the Mayo Pain Rehab beneficial for your neuropathic pain and how you managed it?

Jump to this post

Hi. Yes, I did. Mayo PRC helped me to lessen my nerve pain by removing opiates, teaching me how to become more physically active, and how to calm my nervous system down through proper breathing, mindfulness and distraction.

I continue to have nerve pain, hence the title of chronic verses acute, however I now have many tools to manage my chronic issues and not let them get the best of me.

Are you considering the rehab clinic?

Has anyone tried a vagus nerve stimulator for pain?

@rwinney

Hi. Yes, I did. Mayo PRC helped me to lessen my nerve pain by removing opiates, teaching me how to become more physically active, and how to calm my nervous system down through proper breathing, mindfulness and distraction.

I continue to have nerve pain, hence the title of chronic verses acute, however I now have many tools to manage my chronic issues and not let them get the best of me.

Are you considering the rehab clinic?

Jump to this post

Hi @rwinney Removing opiates is a huge step. Congratulations. I was asking for my husband. He's the one who suffers from the nerve pain and he's done quite well managing it overall using distraction making music, walking, acupuncture, meditation. However, lately often it seems like he could use a little extra support. Mayo is an hour drive from our home so I'm not sure he would be willing to commit 3 weeks of a daily regimen of driving there and back not knowing what to expect. I'm so happy to know that you had good results going through the program. Do you take Neurontin or Nortriptyline or any of the first line of defense drugs that neurologists offer for PN?

@greenacres

Hi @rwinney Removing opiates is a huge step. Congratulations. I was asking for my husband. He's the one who suffers from the nerve pain and he's done quite well managing it overall using distraction making music, walking, acupuncture, meditation. However, lately often it seems like he could use a little extra support. Mayo is an hour drive from our home so I'm not sure he would be willing to commit 3 weeks of a daily regimen of driving there and back not knowing what to expect. I'm so happy to know that you had good results going through the program. Do you take Neurontin or Nortriptyline or any of the first line of defense drugs that neurologists offer for PN?

Jump to this post

Yes, I've remained on Pregabalin (Lyrica).

PRC is a commitment. I'm from NY so I stayed at the hotel across from Mayo for 3 weeks. Others commuted if close enough or stayed at a hotel during the week and drive home on weekends.

@sharonandpaul

please unsubscribe my email

Jump to this post

@sharonandpaul were you able to update your notifications with the information @gingerw shared or can I help you?

Hi
My name Dj123
I'm 62 and dealing with pain all my life ,too much to write about in one sitting...
I'm looking for pain relief for my nerve pain in my feet, I been everywhere and tried everything from all medications ,nerve blocks ,accuppuncture, etc.nothing works ,and pain is getting worse .
Any suggestions ?
Thanks

Please sign in or register to post a reply.