Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group

Welcome to the Neuropathy group.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet other people who are dealing with neuropathy. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with neuropathy, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by volunteer patient Mentor John (@johnbishop) and fellow members when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.
Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What concerns would you like to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@colonial1

Thank you everyone. Wishing us all improvement. The following thought is not new but more prominent in my mind. This Peripheral Neuropathy is susceptible to our emotions more than I ever imagined. I’m actively pursuing that realization. Keep you posted.

Jump to this post

Thank you for responding and sharing.
Pursuing counseling and bought a gym membership solely for winter and treadmill. It’s a beginning. I like the protein powder idea.

Thank you. I look forward to learning more what others may be doing to relieve their Neuropathy symptoms. I generally have no pain as yet, but do experience numbness in both feet and some in my hands/finger tips. I have type 2 diabetes which is responsible for my neuropathy. I would love to get some level of relief in my feet.

Kevin

@crossette

My doc recomended using Creatine to build muscle strength. It comes as a powder and you mix about 5 grams into water or milk. I also take whey protein powder mixed in too. Take this right before exercicing. There are many studies that show this works to build muscle and I did notice it working for me. Suggested dosages are on the container. These powders are often used by body builders.

Jump to this post

What brand Creatine are you using? I work out daily and seems I have reached a plateau in weight and if I skip a few days seems I lose muscle mass. Being 68 I assume age has something to do with it, but looking for options to enhance my workouts and building muscle.

Thanks

@jagtejchawla03

Hi, i also can't walk without walker, every doctor says it can't be reversed,.

Jump to this post

Have you checked with loma linda University? Or any other neuropathy clinic? I have not for my neuropathy I am on intermediate dose gabapentin.

I just joined this conversation. I have been diagnosed with peripheral sensory neuropathy, small fiber neuropathy, and pudendal neuralgia. I have pain every day. I am interested in learning how others are dealing with the chronic pain.

@jhumm

I found this quote in a 12 page article in the Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine, " peripheral neuropathy is the most common reason for an outpatient neurology visits in the United States and accounts for over $10 billion in healthcare spending each year."
If this is the case I can't understand why it isn't taken more seriously.
https://www.ccjm.org/content/ccjom/85/10/801.full.pdf

Jump to this post

My name is Michael and I agree. I've had idiopathic peripheral neuropathy for around 15 years (I'm 73 now). It's mostly in my right foot. I'm pretty sure mine was caused by decreased blood flow to my lower legs. I also have atherosclerosis which has forced me to have stents and finally a quadruple bypass in 2018. A vascular surgeon has performed a couple of operations trying to open up some of the blockages in my arteries in my right leg with poor results. And I have Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Nice combination, huh?

Exercise helps. I try to do a mile every other day on my treadmill and some Pilates work other days. My Dr. has given me an Rx for a topical cream that my compounding pharmacy makes that helps. It has this long name: Gaba/Keta/Clon/Amit/Lido 10/10/0.2/2/5% Active. I usually rub it on in the morning and it lasts for a few hours. I also find a TENS machine helps a little - I use it almost every evening. And some devices that squeeze and release both my calves (I'm hoping that increases the blood flow).

Other than that, I feel fine!

@romans8

I just joined this conversation. I have been diagnosed with peripheral sensory neuropathy, small fiber neuropathy, and pudendal neuralgia. I have pain every day. I am interested in learning how others are dealing with the chronic pain.

Jump to this post

Have had gabapentin? I have feet and leg nerve pain. At first a hot bath would let me get to sleep,now I have had to have gabapentin to sleep.

@cgs

Have had gabapentin? I have feet and leg nerve pain. At first a hot bath would let me get to sleep,now I have had to have gabapentin to sleep.

Jump to this post

Ihad badsideeffectsandIhav enopainwithmyneuropahty

Idonotkn owanyoneandhav eprob lemmswithmykey boardtyin g thin g s

I saw your email today and decided to join the group immediately. I have extensive experience in self help groups and know as time passes this group will be very important to me. Briefly, I am 80 years of age and diagnosed, like John, with bilateral idiopathic neuropathy with symptoms extending well beyond medical treatment. I am not diabetic. While I think I should live in the moment each day I cannot stop worrying about what the future holds in store for me. Thank you all for being here for me and more from me later

Please sign in or register to post a reply.