Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group

Welcome to the Neuropathy group.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet other people who are dealing with neuropathy. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with neuropathy, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by volunteer patient Mentor John (@johnbishop) and fellow members when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.
Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What concerns would you like to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@donnagautreaux

Thank you for your reply. My B-12 (as far as I know), has not been checked. But my neurologist is running numerous blood tests. I understand you getting tired of seeing doctors….. I’ve been doing the same thing. I went through all the heart testing last week with my cardiologist, and have been to numerous other doctors and testing as well. I’m exhausted, but I will fight this… whatever is causing these symptoms. Thank you got your support and understanding!

Jump to this post

Also, very important to check B-6 levels since a higher than normal level can result in B-6 toxicity resulting in neuropathy. Many doctors are unaware of this thinking that since B-6 is water soluble, that the excess will be eliminated naturally.

Thank you oi am having quite a bit of pain in my legs feet and ankles. Terrible muscle spams and i dont sleep at all. Trying to find a great neurologist. Want to be tested and this is getting to me emitionally. I live in tulsa

The cold Chicago weather can effect my fingers and my feet equally. My fingers tingle less in warmer temperatures.
Wearing kid gloves all four seasons keep my hands warm when I shop at the market.
Unfortunately, the grasp in my hands can cause me to drop things especially table utensils. Being aware of my situation, I focus more the grasp of items.
It can be very frustrating to experience this condition.
I’m glad the MAYO Clinic Forum covers many conditions. We learn so much from each other.

@tony24

I was wondering if anyone has learned a way or a treatment to regain strength from nerve damage from neuropathy? When I google it, it seems pretty bleak but I still want to have some hope. Is there any supplements that could improve muscle strength? etc....

Jump to this post

for me personally, my Dr prescribed PT & I do many exercises to keep up strength & dexterity in my arms & legs & feet & hands I'm not sure they help in the short term, but hope they slow down progression & keep me able to function (somewhat) normally. At the very least it gives me a small sense of control over this nasty disorder. ...also as an aside I'm 64 & need to gain muscle & it's slow even w/ PT 3x a week so I'm trying DAA, D-Aspartic Acid, natural & no neg side effects, only on week two, hopeing to see results by week 8-12. Ed

@edraff

for me personally, my Dr prescribed PT & I do many exercises to keep up strength & dexterity in my arms & legs & feet & hands I'm not sure they help in the short term, but hope they slow down progression & keep me able to function (somewhat) normally. At the very least it gives me a small sense of control over this nasty disorder. ...also as an aside I'm 64 & need to gain muscle & it's slow even w/ PT 3x a week so I'm trying DAA, D-Aspartic Acid, natural & no neg side effects, only on week two, hopeing to see results by week 8-12. Ed

Jump to this post

Thanks for your reply. I hope to be able to do some exercises in the future. Even if it doesn't do much for me physically I think mentally it could help. I would imagine your exercises are helping you with a lot of things. Keep going. I hope the best for you.

@vsunshine

Thank you, Colleen. I was diagnosed with PN a couple years ago at Mayo Clinic and it has become more severe. I feel fortunate to only have to deal with it at night, when I have severe leg and foot cramps that continually interrupt my sleep. For the past week, I have been going to a chiropractor, who has completely eliminated the cramps with spinal adjustments, Tens treatments and the nightly application of a roll-on solution called Muscle Pain. It has done wonders for my sleep and attitude. I am a very active 115 lb. 77 year young female and am not ready to sit down. I know the condition will progressively get worse, but want to be prepared for what to do by reading this site to see what others are doing. Thank you for taking the time to help your community.

Jump to this post

Thank you everyone. Wishing us all improvement. The following thought is not new but more prominent in my mind. This Peripheral Neuropathy is susceptible to our emotions more than I ever imagined. I’m actively pursuing that realization. Keep you posted.

@edraff

Jump to this post

My doc recomended using Creatine to build muscle strength. It comes as a powder and you mix about 5 grams into water or milk. I also take whey protein powder mixed in too. Take this right before exercicing. There are many studies that show this works to build muscle and I did notice it working for me. Suggested dosages are on the container. These powders are often used by body builders.

I have neuropathy on the bottom of my feet, and in my calves and also in my left palm. I have no pain, only numbness which causes problems with balance. This coupled with essential tremors and orthostatic tremors adds to the balance issue. I currently need a walker to walk outside but can sometimes walk (gingerly!) at home without an aid.
Every doctor I have seen says that neuropathy is "incurable" Has anyone found anything to deal with this problem?
Ms Tess

@ellenshe

I have neuropathy on the bottom of my feet, and in my calves and also in my left palm. I have no pain, only numbness which causes problems with balance. This coupled with essential tremors and orthostatic tremors adds to the balance issue. I currently need a walker to walk outside but can sometimes walk (gingerly!) at home without an aid.
Every doctor I have seen says that neuropathy is "incurable" Has anyone found anything to deal with this problem?
Ms Tess

Jump to this post

Hi, i also can't walk without walker, every doctor says it can't be reversed,.

@crossette

My doc recomended using Creatine to build muscle strength. It comes as a powder and you mix about 5 grams into water or milk. I also take whey protein powder mixed in too. Take this right before exercicing. There are many studies that show this works to build muscle and I did notice it working for me. Suggested dosages are on the container. These powders are often used by body builders.

Jump to this post

Yes Creatine works well esp prevents lactic acid buildup & I used for many years. As I got older though it didn't work as well, I workout pretty hard & even 20 years ago would be building muscle with this routine, so now thats why im trying DAA. Thank you for replying I wish you well

Please sign in or register to post a reply.