Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group

Welcome to the Neuropathy group.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet other people who are dealing with neuropathy. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with neuropathy, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by volunteer patient Mentor John (@johnbishop) and fellow members when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.
Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What concerns would you like to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@tony24

I was wondering if anyone has learned a way or a treatment to regain strength from nerve damage from neuropathy? When I google it, it seems pretty bleak but I still want to have some hope. Is there any supplements that could improve muscle strength? etc....

Jump to this post

Tony24
I find that riding a stationary bike improves my leg strength.
I go to the gym and ride the bike for 5 miles and walk the track for 1 mile and it really improves muscle strength in my lower extremities. I try to do this three times a week when I am feeling well.
Kim

@michael149

Ihad badsideeffectsandIhav enopainwithmyneuropahty

Jump to this post

I thank God you have no pain. I hope you can have someone help you.

Itakeonehalfpillofeffexortwiceadayandapthelpsmeeercise3timesadayat9amand1pmand5pm

@ga33

I saw your email today and decided to join the group immediately. I have extensive experience in self help groups and know as time passes this group will be very important to me. Briefly, I am 80 years of age and diagnosed, like John, with bilateral idiopathic neuropathy with symptoms extending well beyond medical treatment. I am not diabetic. While I think I should live in the moment each day I cannot stop worrying about what the future holds in store for me. Thank you all for being here for me and more from me later

Jump to this post

I understand,I am 73 and have diabetic neuropath
I take gabapentin and think and pray about the future and how it will be here in this life. I hope that there may be a medical treatment or discovery soon. I am ok on my medication I pray it will improve or at least stay as it is.

@michael149

Itakeonehalfpillofeffexortwiceadayandapthelpsmeeercise3timesadayat9amand1pmand5pm

Jump to this post

Hi @michael149, Welcome to Connect. It sounds like are taking effexor to help with your neuropathy along with PT that helps you exercise 3 times a day. Sorry you are having trouble with your keyboard and typing. If you are looking for other treatments to try, the Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy has a list here - https://www.foundationforpn.org/treatments/.

Did I read your first post correctly that you have no pain with your neuropathy?

@ga33

I saw your email today and decided to join the group immediately. I have extensive experience in self help groups and know as time passes this group will be very important to me. Briefly, I am 80 years of age and diagnosed, like John, with bilateral idiopathic neuropathy with symptoms extending well beyond medical treatment. I am not diabetic. While I think I should live in the moment each day I cannot stop worrying about what the future holds in store for me. Thank you all for being here for me and more from me later

Jump to this post

Hi @ga33, Welcome to Connect. Glad you found this discussion. It does help to live one day at a time and enjoy it the best you can. What helps me is to stay as active as I can and learn something new everyday...sometimes that something new is something I relearned 🙃

Do you have pain with your neuropathy or is it mostly numbness like mine?

@johnbishop

Hi @michael149, Welcome to Connect. It sounds like are taking effexor to help with your neuropathy along with PT that helps you exercise 3 times a day. Sorry you are having trouble with your keyboard and typing. If you are looking for other treatments to try, the Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy has a list here - https://www.foundationforpn.org/treatments/.

Did I read your first post correctly that you have no pain with your neuropathy?

Jump to this post

correct Ihav en opain b utsomelackofcoordin ation of mybodyan dpermanen tnumb nessinmyfeet-Itiscausedb ytaking haldolf or48yrsforse veretourettesyn drome-Iha v etriedev erydrug for neuropathyaccordin g tommyneurologist

@ga33

Jump to this post

Hi I'm new here as well and I find it really helpful to converse with people that have similar problems. Everyone here seems really nice and helpful. It's a safe place and who knows maybe one of us will find a cure and share it here first lol. you never know. But people know stuff and their therapies could be helpful to you. I've found listening to Youtube, binaural beats for nerve regeneration to be helpful. Anyways welcome and keep living in the present moment and have hope.

@kimegraves

Tony24
I find that riding a stationary bike improves my leg strength.
I go to the gym and ride the bike for 5 miles and walk the track for 1 mile and it really improves muscle strength in my lower extremities. I try to do this three times a week when I am feeling well.
Kim

Jump to this post

Thank you @kimegraves I appreciate your reply. I might have to give that a try. I have low energy and doing stuff is hard, I guess you could call it exercise intolerance but I don't know. I would like to move more and increase my strength, thanks for the advice and always stay hopeful.

Can neuropathy be cured if not diabetes related

Please sign in or register to post a reply.