Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group

Welcome to the Neuropathy group.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet other people who are dealing with neuropathy. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with neuropathy, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by volunteer patient Mentor John (@johnbishop) and fellow members when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.
Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What concerns would you like to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

So, is thee a widely held view among neuropathy patients that diet change provides big improvement in symptoms?

@total99

So, is thee a widely held view among neuropathy patients that diet change provides big improvement in symptoms?

Jump to this post

@total99, I think diet and nutrition are definitely a piece of the puzzle especially with the elimination of processed foods and sugar. I still have my bad days with the eating part but they are now few and far between. I know it has helped with my neuropathy as well as a few other conditions I have. I suppose it might boil down to how we each define big improvement. Here's what the Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy says about it - https://www.foundationforpn.org/living-well/lifestyle/

@mfobrien36

Don't laugh... I may have hit on something by accident that might help some of you. Most nights I use a foot cream on my "neuro-pathetic" feet just to keep them soft. I have the type of neuropathy that causes me to feel everything; for example - I can't stand on the bathmat in my tub/shower as the little nubs really hurt. I get sharp, shooting pains in my toes and it wakes me up at night several times. I've tried gabapentin - didn't work at all! SO... the other night, I picked up my Ben Gay - by accident - rather than my foot cream and before I realized my mistake (how'd you miss the smell?) I had rubbed it on my foot and ankle. It felt kinda good... so I rubbed it on the other foot. I slept through the night. The first time in many a month. I thought this likely was a fluke, but decided last night to try it again... it worked again and today both feet feel some better. Usually, night time is when my feet bother me most so I was delighted. Don't know if it is a fluke or not, or if the Anti-neuropathy fairies have visited me while I sleep (I'm Irish so it could happen) but it seems like a cheap thing to try. I know it sounds goofy but if putting a bar of soap between your sheets wasn't considered too "strange" a suggestion - maybe this might work for somebody besides me. I doubt whether it would work on feet/ankles etc. that have open sores, though... that might really hurt.

Jump to this post

Thanks for the tip, I will try it! Sleeping through the night is one of my biggest problems. I can sleep about 3 hours before my feet & hands wake me up with being almost completely numb! Lidocaine cream helps sometimes & found a 5% Lidocaine gel which works slightly better.

@auntieqd

Thanks for the tip, I will try it! Sleeping through the night is one of my biggest problems. I can sleep about 3 hours before my feet & hands wake me up with being almost completely numb! Lidocaine cream helps sometimes & found a 5% Lidocaine gel which works slightly better.

Jump to this post

Welcome @auntieqd, I'm glad to see that you connected with @mfobrien36 and hopefully found something to help you sleep better through the night. The Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy also has some tips/suggestions to help with sleep here - https://www.foundationforpn.org/living-well/lifestyle/managing-peripheral-neuropathy/

Do you mind sharing a little more about your neuropathy diagnosis and symptoms?

@auntieqd

Jump to this post

@auntieqd @mfobrien36 I have small fiber peripheral polyneuropathy, and it shows up mostly in my feet and ankles. It began in my toes and heels, but has gradually taken over both of my feet and has been making its way up my legs. So far, above my ankles, I just have pins and needles usually, up to my groin. I tried every medication my numerous doctors have thrown at me, with no pain relief except for morphine sulfate contin.

Capsaicin works for some people (not me - it just burns), but lidocaine cream 5% numbs my feet and ankles so I can go to sleep.

In 2017 I had a spinal cord stimulator implant, and it was wonderful! I'd forgotten how it felt not to be in pain. Unfortunately, after a year it started losing its effectiveness, though I still have it, and it probably helps a little. Last year I had a dorsal root ganglion stimulator trial, but it had no effect.

Four months ago I started IVig infusions, and the 4th round of infusion last Monday and Tuesday has brought me some good relief. The pain has been way down to 2 or 3! I still have the annoying pins and needles, but the burning pain is nearly gone. My neurologist said that I'll know it's working if the pain is reduced for 2 or 3 weeks, and then the 4th week will be back up to 7-9 pain level. I REALLY hope it continues to work.

I've heard that Blue Emu works like lidocaine cream for some people. Have you soaked your feet in cold water? It has numbed the pain for me for an hour or so. The other day I took off my slipper sandals and walked in the snow barefoot for a few minutes. It felt kinda good, actually. I remember doing it when I was a kid, living in upstate New York.

Have you tried doing a really light massage on your legs? I find different places to tickle/massage, and I feel a pleasant feeling in my feet and ankles. I use a telescoping back scratcher and just slowly slide it up and down, using just the weight of the scratcher, with no pressure. Kinda strange the things we find that either relieve the pain or distract us from it.

BTW, I switched from morphine to buprenorphine a few months ago, but it doesn't do the job that morphine did. It's an opioid, but behaves differently from morphine, and I guess it's supposed to be better for sfpn. I'm not convinced.

Cherries. Are maraschino cherries OK? I'd happily eat a bunch of those every day.

Gotta stop writing and get to sleep. I think my Bipap machine helps me sleep through most of the pain.

Jim

@writer99

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked out the ingredients and the only one I could be allergic to are chia seeds. I have multiple allergies, and can be allergic to almost anything...and have! So I will try to locate another protein powder. Now if I could only remember the one I used to take?
I do use buckwheat which I find very good for health. I eat it as a cereal and also can be used in many vegetarian/vegan recipes.
Take care.

Jump to this post

Ugh. I’m sorry you’re allergic to so many foods. I eat a lot of chia seeds and nuts. I’ve used a protein powder with just peas as the source; maybe that could work for you. I haven’t tried buckwheat…thanks for the suggestion. I put it on my shopping list. I do cook hulled barley once a week and eat it mixed in with soup or even fruit salad. Very healthy.

@athenalee

Ugh. I’m sorry you’re allergic to so many foods. I eat a lot of chia seeds and nuts. I’ve used a protein powder with just peas as the source; maybe that could work for you. I haven’t tried buckwheat…thanks for the suggestion. I put it on my shopping list. I do cook hulled barley once a week and eat it mixed in with soup or even fruit salad. Very healthy.

Jump to this post

I hope you like it! I buy it from Birkett Mills, as it's not available here at Whole Foods. Birkett has many buckwheat products, also recipes. Have fun perusing the site. Take care.

@jimhd

@auntieqd @mfobrien36 I have small fiber peripheral polyneuropathy, and it shows up mostly in my feet and ankles. It began in my toes and heels, but has gradually taken over both of my feet and has been making its way up my legs. So far, above my ankles, I just have pins and needles usually, up to my groin. I tried every medication my numerous doctors have thrown at me, with no pain relief except for morphine sulfate contin.

Capsaicin works for some people (not me - it just burns), but lidocaine cream 5% numbs my feet and ankles so I can go to sleep.

In 2017 I had a spinal cord stimulator implant, and it was wonderful! I'd forgotten how it felt not to be in pain. Unfortunately, after a year it started losing its effectiveness, though I still have it, and it probably helps a little. Last year I had a dorsal root ganglion stimulator trial, but it had no effect.

Four months ago I started IVig infusions, and the 4th round of infusion last Monday and Tuesday has brought me some good relief. The pain has been way down to 2 or 3! I still have the annoying pins and needles, but the burning pain is nearly gone. My neurologist said that I'll know it's working if the pain is reduced for 2 or 3 weeks, and then the 4th week will be back up to 7-9 pain level. I REALLY hope it continues to work.

I've heard that Blue Emu works like lidocaine cream for some people. Have you soaked your feet in cold water? It has numbed the pain for me for an hour or so. The other day I took off my slipper sandals and walked in the snow barefoot for a few minutes. It felt kinda good, actually. I remember doing it when I was a kid, living in upstate New York.

Have you tried doing a really light massage on your legs? I find different places to tickle/massage, and I feel a pleasant feeling in my feet and ankles. I use a telescoping back scratcher and just slowly slide it up and down, using just the weight of the scratcher, with no pressure. Kinda strange the things we find that either relieve the pain or distract us from it.

BTW, I switched from morphine to buprenorphine a few months ago, but it doesn't do the job that morphine did. It's an opioid, but behaves differently from morphine, and I guess it's supposed to be better for sfpn. I'm not convinced.

Cherries. Are maraschino cherries OK? I'd happily eat a bunch of those every day.

Gotta stop writing and get to sleep. I think my Bipap machine helps me sleep through most of the pain.

Jim

Jump to this post

thankyou for an overview of your experiences. You gave me insight to alternatives for me. I have not been diagnosed with any specific disease for my neuropathy. I was just told that there was not anything that could be done. That I had to live with it. Are you losing balance. I am very unsure on my feet and the posibility of a serious fall is frightening. May God bless you and keep you. Kathy

@jetsetter

My father developed trigeminal neuralgia about 3 years ago. He is 95 years old.

Jump to this post

I had trigeminal neuralgia when I was 77 (now82) for two years on the right side of my face from my ear to the center of my jaw; Worst pain anyone can imagine. It drove me crazy. Had a novacaine injection from a pain doctor--the pain got way worse. Finally, I had a back molar removed, then I had another one removed (root canal tooth), THEN, slowly the real pain went away. Now I just have a slight sensation along the jawline. The only relief during that time were cannabis gummy bears my son had gotten in Colorado. I cut the bear into 10 pieces--10 mg at a time to help me sleep. Have compassion for your poor father.

@jimhd

Jim

Jump to this post

I have the burning feet and the pins and needles, plus it feels like some
little things are crawling under my skin. Also, feels like I'm walking on gravel. I'm pretty active, but I cannot just stand still. I walk my dog 2-3 times a day. The walking feels good, but when I stop--yikes!.
I use capsaicin cream on part of my legs. What helps me most is cannabis pills at might--2mg THC, one mg CBD before I go to bed. It helps to keep my legs up in the recliner. I do wear compression socks. They help a great deal. Part of my neuropathy comes from compressed nerves in my back. I have had 2 steroid injections and they seem to help. The one in June lasted at least 4 months. Had one recently--wait and see.
IMPORTANT: I take Lyrica, pregabilin, 50 mg, 2 x. a day. I was without for 5 days and the burning and pain came back. I guess it works.
Neuropathy is something you have to try to keep in check and do things to make yourself comfortable. Hang in there.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.