Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group

Welcome to the Neuropathy group.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet other people who are dealing with neuropathy. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with neuropathy, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by volunteer patient Mentor John (@johnbishop) and fellow members when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.
Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What concerns would you like to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@fredamm

I had trigeminal neuralgia when I was 77 (now82) for two years on the right side of my face from my ear to the center of my jaw; Worst pain anyone can imagine. It drove me crazy. Had a novacaine injection from a pain doctor--the pain got way worse. Finally, I had a back molar removed, then I had another one removed (root canal tooth), THEN, slowly the real pain went away. Now I just have a slight sensation along the jawline. The only relief during that time were cannabis gummy bears my son had gotten in Colorado. I cut the bear into 10 pieces--10 mg at a time to help me sleep. Have compassion for your poor father.

Jump to this post

I'm so glad you finally got some relief! Thank you

@kskill39

My toes hurt with or without socks. It feels like every nail is ingrown

Jump to this post

Hi @kskill39, I noticed you haven't posted in awhile and was just wondering how you are doing with your feet and toes in particular. You mentioned they hurt with or without socks. I have a few hammer toes on each foot and sometimes the toenails seem to dig in and cause a little pain. I try to keep them trimmed but it can be difficult. Before I had to start wearing compression socks I found some really soft socks made from bamboo fiber that were really comfortable and seemed to make my feet feel much better.

Are you still having pain with your toes?

@jetsetter

I'm so glad you finally got some relief! Thank you

Jump to this post

Thank you.

@kwfinnie

thankyou for an overview of your experiences. You gave me insight to alternatives for me. I have not been diagnosed with any specific disease for my neuropathy. I was just told that there was not anything that could be done. That I had to live with it. Are you losing balance. I am very unsure on my feet and the posibility of a serious fall is frightening. May God bless you and keep you. Kathy

Jump to this post

@kwfinnie @fredamm I wish a medication could be found to relieve the pain in my feet and ankles. Actually, instead of 7-9 pain pre IVig, I don't really notice the pain. It's there, and some things trigger it, like standing still, driving and sitting down, which seems kinda weird, but after sitting for a while, the pain decreases.

I do have balance problems, and sometimes I get dizzy. If I don't take action, I'd pass out. The balance tends to be when I stand up and turn. And I'd be in trouble if I had to do a sobriety test like you see on Cops. I have at this point mild autonomic neuropathy.

Some of the balance and dizziness could be related to my heart. I recently did a 7 day monitor, and it registered 1620 SVT episodes, the longest one lasting 26 minutes. It's a condition that causes tachycardia.

Time to have our nightly couples devotion, so I need to stop. The Lord bless you, as well.

Jim

@venki

Take Nerve conduction test.

Jump to this post

I have a Hair salon. A lady came in saying she had Prenthial Nerapthy. Her feet hurt so bad. She also could not sleep. I told her my sister takes an old anti-depressant to sleep! This lady asked her Doc for Elivil..like my sister takes. Now her FEET DON"T HURT! So another lady came in, the same problem! I told her! She got the old anti-depressant Elivil from her Doc! Now her feet don't hurt! Just saying!!!!!

This Neuropathy is pretty interesting. In many ways it is elusive. I do take duloxetine (Cymbalta ) plus the pregabilin. Most of the time it relieves a good amount of the pain. Then, for some reason, can't pinpoint it, it will flare up. I try all the tricks mentioned in this sharing column. I even walked in the snow to cool off my feet. It felt good. As was said, standing still is the killer.
Good luck everyone. Stay calm and carry on. 🙂

@hair127

I have a Hair salon. A lady came in saying she had Prenthial Nerapthy. Her feet hurt so bad. She also could not sleep. I told her my sister takes an old anti-depressant to sleep! This lady asked her Doc for Elivil..like my sister takes. Now her FEET DON"T HURT! So another lady came in, the same problem! I told her! She got the old anti-depressant Elivil from her Doc! Now her feet don't hurt! Just saying!!!!!

Jump to this post

The generic name for Elavil is amitriptyline. Neurologists commonly prescribe it for pain control in PN. It is what I take. I couldn't tolerate gabapentin or Lyrica. They affected my mood.

@pacer3702

The generic name for Elavil is amitriptyline. Neurologists commonly prescribe it for pain control in PN. It is what I take. I couldn't tolerate gabapentin or Lyrica. They affected my mood.

Jump to this post

My pain management Dr put me on amitriptyline, for radiating nerve pain. What are some of the side effects of this drug over long term?

@saylor479

My pain management Dr put me on amitriptyline, for radiating nerve pain. What are some of the side effects of this drug over long term?

Jump to this post

Hi @saylor479, Here's some information I found on side effects of Amitriptyline.

"Amitriptyline is safe to take for a long time. There do not seem to be any lasting harmful effects from taking it for many months or years." --- Amitriptyline: an antidepressant medicine - NHS: https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/amitriptyline-for-depression/

Neuropathy and Acupucture. Has anyone had success with it?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.