Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group

Welcome to the Neuropathy group.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet other people who are dealing with neuropathy. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with neuropathy, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by volunteer patient Mentor John (@johnbishop) and fellow members when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.
Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What concerns would you like to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@mayofeb2020

@jesfactsmon. I read somewhere here in connect that cocoa powder is very high caffeine, I cannot tolerate caffeine at all. I can eat a little of TJ's dark chocolate and I have to eat it by noon so it doesn't affect my sleep. Ugh. Is there anything else that's just as good?

Jump to this post

Hi Hank @jesfactsmon I don’t know the definition of “high caffeine” in chocolate but it does contain some caffeine. A serving should not be a problem i.e. if you can stop, lol. Have you tried carob? Toni

@avmcbellar
Sugar isn't at all worrisome to me. Maybe it should be but it's not. I won't be here long so I'm going to enjoy my sugar. I've already given up many foods and drinks I love to help me be healthier. If sugar is going to finish me off so be it.
Health & Happiness,
Jake

@avmcbellar

Hi Hank @jesfactsmon I don’t know the definition of “high caffeine” in chocolate but it does contain some caffeine. A serving should not be a problem i.e. if you can stop, lol. Have you tried carob? Toni

Jump to this post

Goto to spice/baking section if food store. They have 3 chocolate bars for cooking. 1) only cocoa - Blah., 2) semi sweet - too sweet, 3) bitter sweet- fabulous . Better than any chocolate bar I ever tasted. I eat the whole thing if alone. Better 1/2 for self and friend.

@jakedduck1

@avmcbellar
Sugar isn't at all worrisome to me. Maybe it should be but it's not. I won't be here long so I'm going to enjoy my sugar. I've already given up many foods and drinks I love to help me be healthier. If sugar is going to finish me off so be it.
Health & Happiness,
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 What! You're just a kid. I thought I wouldn't be here long too, but that was 40 years ago!!

@artist01

@avmcbellar Thankyou SO much for your informative reply. Yes, you sure would expect seniors' rez's to cater to the needs of us old folks, but that's the nature of the beast, here. It's a great place, and the meals are excellent, but I can't eat them! (still looking for that pony!)
During dinner this evening I was talking about all this with my friend, and she is giving me a brand new Bullet that she's never used! I found the pony!! 😆
I'll check out Amazon for the smoothie mixes and, also, maybe I can find frozen food that's been cooked. Maybe not though?
I do use lactose free dairy milk for my cereal and coffee with no problem 😊.
I can't get to a store to shop but have just discovered Amazon and learning how to order, with not too much difficulty. Makes me feel like Thoroughly Modern Millie.
Thanks again

Jump to this post

@artist01 you Thoroughly Modern Millie are doing quite well, even found the pony! 😀Now you have no excuse for whipping up a smoothie. You’re welcome! I am grateful to be able to help. I do the same for my mother but all remotely. I order whatever she needs from Amazon and let her know when it gets delivered to her door. So far so good. She will be 91 this year. Video chatting with her everyday allows me to help her with her low vision. Besides not being able to see she has diabetes. Between her language barrier and not driving she is very limited. With my help she remains independent with living in her own apartment. I pretty much manage her rides, finances, medical visits, phone calls, and some foods while she does the rest like cooking and cleaning. She does well managing the Ipad and cell phone I had set up for her. I guess she has also become a Thoroughly Modern Minnie, lol. You do what is necessary for survival in today’s world.
For a better variety why not try foods more tolerable to you. Besides cooked vegetables, you may find treats like frozen raw banana( in pieces or whole) chocolate covered. I have found popsicles made of only water, banana, and chocolate powder. Surprisingly, they tasted better than I had previously thought. There is more variety available in foods. You just need to find it. I will be happy to help if you have questions. By the way, did you ever have any issues with strabismus or diplopia? I am waiting for the corrective surgery to take place in a year from now. In the meantime I manage as best as I can. Can’t wait for that day to come. Best wishes to you. Toni

Carob? not familiar with that.
Not opposed to trying it UNLESS it's similar to that “VILE” dark chocolate. For people who can endure that choke-inducing poison known as coffee I can understand how they can think dark chocolate might not be too bad. Of course they are wrong but you just can't figure some people. Are you listening Mary @imallears, lol
Take care,
Jake

@avmcbellar

@artist01 you Thoroughly Modern Millie are doing quite well, even found the pony! 😀Now you have no excuse for whipping up a smoothie. You’re welcome! I am grateful to be able to help. I do the same for my mother but all remotely. I order whatever she needs from Amazon and let her know when it gets delivered to her door. So far so good. She will be 91 this year. Video chatting with her everyday allows me to help her with her low vision. Besides not being able to see she has diabetes. Between her language barrier and not driving she is very limited. With my help she remains independent with living in her own apartment. I pretty much manage her rides, finances, medical visits, phone calls, and some foods while she does the rest like cooking and cleaning. She does well managing the Ipad and cell phone I had set up for her. I guess she has also become a Thoroughly Modern Minnie, lol. You do what is necessary for survival in today’s world.
For a better variety why not try foods more tolerable to you. Besides cooked vegetables, you may find treats like frozen raw banana( in pieces or whole) chocolate covered. I have found popsicles made of only water, banana, and chocolate powder. Surprisingly, they tasted better than I had previously thought. There is more variety available in foods. You just need to find it. I will be happy to help if you have questions. By the way, did you ever have any issues with strabismus or diplopia? I am waiting for the corrective surgery to take place in a year from now. In the meantime I manage as best as I can. Can’t wait for that day to come. Best wishes to you. Toni

Jump to this post

Thanks again, Toni. Your posts are some of the ones I "save", because they contain tips I'm sure I'll use. I'm restricted by not being able to physically go to a grocery store so I'm not able to keep up with all the amazing food adventures available in today's world. Who ever thought there would be chocolate covered frozen bananas! I'm catching on to ordering from Amazon, and I can get delivery from one of the grocers in town, but not knowing what's available makes it difficult without shopping in person.
I'm going to Google strabismus and diploma. Not familiar to me.
Warm regards, Laurie PS I'm so impressed with how you care for your Mom. Bravo!

@avmcbellar

Jump to this post

Toni, bless your sweet heart for looking out for your mom!.! ❤️

@jesfactsmon

@sunnyflower @jakedduck1
Wow you guys, I am starting to feel like I am at my high school reunion with all the 68 year olds here, of which I too am one. (I miss Eisenhower 😊) Best, Hank

Jump to this post

Hank, I miss the ole days too when people were more respectful.

@avmcbellar

Jump to this post

Hi again Toni. I just Googled strabismus and diplopia. My gosh, you have those conditions? You must be so happy to be getting corrective surgery. It's sad that you have to wait a year for surgery, though.
I had a "lazy eye" all my life and it really ruined my first 70 years. (I'm 85 now) The strangest symptom of it was that I went cross-eyed when I ate, so I was always terrified to eat in the presence of others. Even my extended family made fun of me. It made dating a terrifying experience, and very much influenced choices I made in my life.
Good news though...at age 70, I had my first of 3 cataract surgeries, and amazingly, the condition was totally corrected. No corrective eye glasses or anything. I now thoroughly enjoy dining with friends and family, or making direct eye contact without fear of eye-crossing! I hope you're going to enjoy the same news after your surgery. You have so much to look forward to. X0 Laurie

Please sign in or register to post a reply.