Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group

Welcome to the Neuropathy group.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet other people who are dealing with neuropathy. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with neuropathy, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by volunteer patient Mentor John (@johnbishop) and fellow members when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.
Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What concerns would you like to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@artist01

Thanks again, Toni. Your posts are some of the ones I "save", because they contain tips I'm sure I'll use. I'm restricted by not being able to physically go to a grocery store so I'm not able to keep up with all the amazing food adventures available in today's world. Who ever thought there would be chocolate covered frozen bananas! I'm catching on to ordering from Amazon, and I can get delivery from one of the grocers in town, but not knowing what's available makes it difficult without shopping in person.
I'm going to Google strabismus and diploma. Not familiar to me.
Warm regards, Laurie PS I'm so impressed with how you care for your Mom. Bravo!

Jump to this post

You’re welcome Laurie @artist01. Thank you. I always have helped my elders out of respect as long as they want the help. I understand the current technology and try to help them feel less isolated because of the virus. More recently, I have finally been able to video chat with an older woman who I have known for years. I give her credit for her abilities to follow my directions. She is happy to be able to see me now. Before we phoned each other. Using technology, I have also figured out a way to tutor high school students. On the screen they can follow my notes as I write. They do the same to show me problems or questions. It works out well remotely. In the beginning I tutored in person at the high school but with the pandemic I didn’t want to take the chance.
Laurie, sometimes you may be able to see the items available for shopping by either going to the store’s website or by downloading their app. I have an Ipad which makes it much easier. I bring my Ipad with me after creating my list. The app tells me in order in which aisle to find my listed items. It makes shopping very quick. Usually in 30 minutes I am done. My husband loves it. He follows it too to get the items into the cart.
I do the same for my mother who has a grocery store within short walking distance for her. We video chat so I can tell her where to find the items using her cell phone.

The more you use the internet on your device the easier it will become. No worries. You are doing well to earn a diploma, lol.

Wow, you are aware of the challenges with the double vision. I am glad you finally found to overcome it. My double vision is a deficit from the AVM. I had to figure that out for myself too. I did see 2 neuro ophthalmologist and put the information together.
I have to be cautious to not fall. It does slightly improve with time. I am hoping it finally settles before the surgery. I have no choice but to wait for 100% medical coverage starting 2/1/2022. So I don’t mind. The outcome will be better in the long run. Sometimes I cover my bad eye to give myself a break. It helps temporarily.
Keep on practicing with your device! I believe the frozen chocolate covered banana are called Dianas Bananas Baby Bananas, dark chocolate. I hope your grocery story carries it. The popsicles are called Chloe’s Dark Chocolate Pops. Hugs, Toni

@bustrbrwn22

@jakedduck1 is it too personal for me to ask why you say you won’t be here long?

Jump to this post

@bustrbrwn22
Nope, not personal at all.
As often as I fall and hit my head I'm surprised I haven't bled out by now. My house looks like a slaughterhouse half the time. If I ever have Status seizures again I’m finished for sure if I'm alone. I may have a roommate from New Jersey shortly (I hope). The nut loves to cook, imagine that.

@jakedduck1

@bustrbrwn22
As often as I fall and hit my head I'm surprised I haven't bled out by now. My house looks like a slaughterhouse half the time. If I ever have Status seizures again I’m finished for sure if I'm alone. I may have a roommate from New Jersey shortly (I hope). The nut loves to cook, imagine that.

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1. I am glad you are going to have a roommate. I live alone too and I always wonder what would happen if something happens to me. I hope you don't fall again. You have such a positive attitude albeit the issues you have. Two thumbs up to you. The thought of roommate did come across my mind... for a few seconds. Well, you take care now, I'm sure many of us here in connect enjoy your posts. Keep them coming!!

@avmcbellar

You’re welcome Laurie @artist01. Thank you. I always have helped my elders out of respect as long as they want the help. I understand the current technology and try to help them feel less isolated because of the virus. More recently, I have finally been able to video chat with an older woman who I have known for years. I give her credit for her abilities to follow my directions. She is happy to be able to see me now. Before we phoned each other. Using technology, I have also figured out a way to tutor high school students. On the screen they can follow my notes as I write. They do the same to show me problems or questions. It works out well remotely. In the beginning I tutored in person at the high school but with the pandemic I didn’t want to take the chance.
Laurie, sometimes you may be able to see the items available for shopping by either going to the store’s website or by downloading their app. I have an Ipad which makes it much easier. I bring my Ipad with me after creating my list. The app tells me in order in which aisle to find my listed items. It makes shopping very quick. Usually in 30 minutes I am done. My husband loves it. He follows it too to get the items into the cart.
I do the same for my mother who has a grocery store within short walking distance for her. We video chat so I can tell her where to find the items using her cell phone.

The more you use the internet on your device the easier it will become. No worries. You are doing well to earn a diploma, lol.

Wow, you are aware of the challenges with the double vision. I am glad you finally found to overcome it. My double vision is a deficit from the AVM. I had to figure that out for myself too. I did see 2 neuro ophthalmologist and put the information together.
I have to be cautious to not fall. It does slightly improve with time. I am hoping it finally settles before the surgery. I have no choice but to wait for 100% medical coverage starting 2/1/2022. So I don’t mind. The outcome will be better in the long run. Sometimes I cover my bad eye to give myself a break. It helps temporarily.
Keep on practicing with your device! I believe the frozen chocolate covered banana are called Dianas Bananas Baby Bananas, dark chocolate. I hope your grocery story carries it. The popsicles are called Chloe’s Dark Chocolate Pops. Hugs, Toni

Jump to this post

Hi Toni. Thankyou for everything. I sure know about having to cover your bad eye. When I developed this awful Giant Cell Arteritis, the first symptom to alert the doctors was that I suddenly went blind in my right eye...just what is so dangerous about that disease. Actually, I had attended our E.R. FIVE different weeks because I was feeling so unwell and experiencing temporal pain. Long story short, I have about 1/6th sight in that eye, which confuses my brain and causes an awful mess of my head. I often cover that eye, just for a break - just like you! Hugs, Laurie

@jakedduck1

Carob? not familiar with that.
Not opposed to trying it UNLESS it's similar to that “VILE” dark chocolate. For people who can endure that choke-inducing poison known as coffee I can understand how they can think dark chocolate might not be too bad. Of course they are wrong but you just can't figure some people. Are you listening Mary @imallears, lol
Take care,
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1
Hi Leonard, you wouldn't like carob. If I remember right it's not as sweet as dark chocolate and maybe kind of nutty tasting. I don't use it. I think they have carob chips for making cookies.
As for the dark chocolate and coffee comments, I am laughing my heart healthy self off. You are a hoot.

FL Mary

@jakedduck1

@bustrbrwn22

Jump to this post

When I was in end stage liver disease, living alone, and regularly in need of emergency care, my friends chipped in and got me a mobile monitor for times when my support person could not be there. It was a blessing. If you fall they call immediately and if you don’t answer, an emergency vehicle is sent. It’s not too expensive and it was definitely comforting. There are several out there. The one I had was called MobileHelp. I too hope you get your roommate, but just in case...

@faithwalker007

You are never weak or complaining for voicing a question, a concern, or fear to your medical provider about your health. If ANY medical provider makes you feel that way about YOU or your CARE, @bustrbrwn22 report them immediately to your state medical board, and find another provider as soon as possible.
Your very life may depend on it... not only mental health, but physical health.
I’ve had family members nearly killed from this neglect and blatant dismissive type of care— a brother who ended up at the Mayo with over 200 ulcers throughout his digestive tract and a mother who almost died from error upon error of Prescription orders in the cardiac unit because the doctor was too lazy to study her chart.
I ended up SLEEPING next to her bed and double checking every single medication order prior to being given by the nurse after her double stent placement just so I knew she would get to go home. I ended up stopping a glyburide order (she’s not diabetic), a tamoxifen order (still pissed about that one), and fixing her thyroid dosage that they calculated wrong when switching to their available brand.
YOU are the quarterback of your body. You are the one who determines if the person treating it actually respects it or not. Respecting you is one thing, make sure that the person has taken the time to get to know your case and your complaint enough that they respect THAT MORE.
If you don’t know why they are giving you a medication, ask them! Then follow with that information with a blind question to your pharmacist. That means ask your pharmacist something like: Can you tell me what this medication is for? I was really too nervous today at the doctor’s office to remember anything If the information doesn’t match up, ask the pharmacist and then the doctor. Find out what you are taking and why, the side effects and precautions to watch for.
DO YOUR RESEARCH. Nothing you take for a disease is natural for your body even if it’s “natural.” It’s a foreign body and your body MAY NOT LIKE IT AND REJECT IT in ways you won’t like.
When YOU ARE SATISFIED, THEN take your medicine. The times of the blind leading the blind are over. Patients are active participants in their care now.
I’ve told you this before, @bustrbrwn22 you are the one who matters. It’s YOUR body. You are not an experiment.

Jump to this post

Hello. These are good truths here. Bravo for you looking out for your mother and all who have needed that. Most people are so intimidated by our healthcare providers because in a very real sense, they hold the quality of our lives in their hands.

It is extremely difficult for the lay person to advocate for themselves and to equip themselves with the knowledge they need to do so. Having worked with over 80 providers in my 20+ years in patient care, I really got a good sense that they are just like us in many ways. Yet, I can still be intimated easily.

Patients have rights and Kaiser Permanente encourages them to become familiar with what they are with handouts, mailings and brochures on the wall. I love that. Their customer service will encourage patients to make a complaint when they call with a problem!

I care very deeply about each one of you and wish for you the very best everything.

Many blessings, Sunnyflower

@jesfactsmon

@sunnyflower @jakedduck1
Wow you guys, I am starting to feel like I am at my high school reunion with all the 68 year olds here, of which I too am one. (I miss Eisenhower 😊) Best, Hank

Jump to this post

I know! It's hard to be so close to 70!! Where did the time go? #$?! :%_$&?? ⌚🤔🥴🥺😲

@jakedduck1

@faithwalker007
Be careful getting prescriptions from nurse practitioners. After I demanded she check with the doctor she came back and reluctantly admitted I was right. You should tell doctors you may have had Stephen Johnson Syndrome. I believe antibiotics cause the most most SJS cases.
Take care,
Jake

Jump to this post

Jake, I 'm wondering if your nurse practioner was a little put off when you asked her to check with the doctor bc she/he practices under their own license unlike physician assistants who practice under a doctor's license? I am out of order on these messages so please forgive me if I am off here. Good for you to ask anyway! Sunnyflower

Please sign in or register to post a reply.