Grover's Disease: What works to help find relief?

Posted by 43219876x @43219876x, Sep 23, 2016

I have been diagnosed with Grover's disease under my breasts. I had a biopsy for diagnosis. Tried topical ointment with no really good results. Any ideas?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Skin Health Support Group.

@coreylynn

Thank you, 6 months now and nothing really working. I will try witch hazel! Why not??

Jump to this post

Posted most of this previously. There is an update at the end.

In 1992, at age 51, I had a large melanoma removed from my back. At that time I was getting a lot of seborrheic keratoses, and some actinic keratoses, and had a kind of rash of small red spots on my chest. I saw another dermatologist who biopsied the red spots which turned out to be Grover's Disease. Other then annual full body exams for a possible recurring meloma and a few basal cell carcinomas removed, I didn't have any more problems until January 2007. The Grover's was always there but didn't seem to bother me.

At the end of 2006, I retired and moved from a foggy climate to a more dry climate. By January 2007, I started having terrible itching on my chest and back. A new dermatologist again biopsied the red spots and they were still Grover's. He prescribed ointments, including a pretty expensive one (Dovenex), but none of them helped very much. The only thing that sort of worked, out of many tried, was Eucerin Itch Relief. Most of the time I was reading and posting on a website called Skincell. There were many people with many wild (IMO) theories as to what causes Grover's. Some attributed it to the mercury in their dental fillings and were having all their fillings removed and redone. In addition to the itching, the red spots often got a little crusty and would sting if I got sweaty.

I finally got an appointment with Dr. Jack Resneck at UCSF in June 2008. He prescribed Gabapentin (Neurontin), 300 mg every night and the itch went away. It was gone until about June 2021 when it started coming back slowly. I don't know if the Gabapentin really worked or the disease just went away for 13 years.

UCSF was across two bridges and about 35 miles away so I had found a dermatologist closer to home for my annual exams. As the itch bacame as bad as it's ever been, I've tried to get the new dermatologist and my PCP to prescribe something to help. The derm prescribed Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream, which can cause or worsen glaucoma. As my wife has some serious glaucoma, I couldn't risk it. I used the Eucerin Itch Relief for a few months then my PCP prescribed Hydroxyzine which gives me some relief as it makes me go to sleep. When it wears off after about six to seven hours, the itching comes back. To honest, I'm not sure if the widespread ketatoses don't also itch.
Apparently, the website Skincell is no longer what it used to be and this site is one where I can find other people discussing Grovers. I was hoping there had been some kind of breakthrough in the last 15 years. Apparently not. I'm now also on the Facebook Grover's page.
I'm curious about the Cilantro and Chlorella smoothie approace but I'm one of those people to whom Cilantro tastes like soap.
9/1/23 Update: I've been taking Cilantro and Chlorella capsules for 4 months today. No help. I've also been using Eucerin Calming Body Wash for about 5 months which seems to help on a sporadic basis. Still using Eucerin Itch Relief when it gets real bad which helps for sever hours and taking the Hydroxyzine.
Assuming the 13 years with no itch was due to the Gabapentin and not the "transient" part of this disease, I would have to recommend trying the Gabapentin to anyone new to this misery. Just remember, nothing seems to work for everybody.

@itchyrich

In 1992, at age 51, I had a large melanoma removed from my back. At that time I was getting a lot of seborrheic keratoses, and some actinic keratoses, and had a kind of rash of small red spots on my chest. I saw another dermatologist who biopsied the red spots which turned out to be Grover's Disease. Other then annual full body exams for a possible recurring meloma and a few basal cell carcinomas removed, I didn't have any more problems until January 2007. The Grover's was always there but didn't seem to bother me.

At the end of 2006, I retired and moved from a foggy climate to a more dry climate. By January 2007, I started having terrible itching on my chest and back. A new dermatologist again biopsied the red spots and they were still Grover's. He prescribed ointments, including a pretty expensive one (Dovenex), but none of them helped very much. The only thing that sort of worked, out of many tried, was Eucerin Itch Relief. Most of the time I was reading and posting on a website called Skincell. There were many people with many wild (IMO) theories as to what causes Grover's. Some attributed it to the mercury in their dental fillings and were having all their fillings removed and redone. In addition to the itching, the red spots often got a little crusty and would sting if I got sweaty.

I finally got an appointment with Dr. Jack Resneck at UCSF in June 2008. He prescribed Gabapentin (Neurontin), 300 mg every night and the itch went away. It was gone until about June 2021 when it started coming back slowly. I don't know if the Gabapentin really worked or the disease just went away for 13 years.

UCSF was across two bridges and about 35 miles away so I had found a dermatologist closer to home for my annual exams. As the itch bacame as bad as it's ever been, I've tried to get the new dermatologist and my PCP to prescribe something to help. The derm prescribed Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream, which can cause or worsen glaucoma. As my wife has some serious glaucoma, I couldn't risk it. I used the Eucerin Itch Relief for a few months then my PCP prescribed Hydroxyzine which gives me some relief as it makes me go to sleep. When it wears off after about six to seven hours, the itching comes back. To honest, I'm not sure if the widespread ketatoses don't also itch.
Apparently, the website Skincell is no longer what it used to be and this site is one where I can find other people discussing Grovers. I was hoping there had been some kind of breakthrough in the last 15 years. Apparently not. I'm now also on the Facebook Grover's page.
I'm curious about the Cilantro and Chlorella smoothie approace but I'm one of those people to whom Cilantro tastes like soap.
9/1/23 Update: I've been taking Cilantro and Chlorella capsules for 4 months today. No help. I've also been using Eucerin Calming Body Wash for about 5 months which seems to help on a sporadic basis. Still using Eucerin Itch Relief when it gets real bad which helps for sever hours and taking the Hydroxyzine.
Assuming the 13 years with no itch was due to the Gabapentin and not the "transient" part of this disease, I would have to recommend trying the Gabapentin to anyone new to this misery. Just remember, nothing seems to work for everybody.

Jump to this post

First of all I’m sorry, I too have GD and have tried everything. Unfortunately gabapentin and hydroxizin are horrible drugs and cause memory impairment. Antihistamines do too!! Because it is considered a rare disease no one has taken the time to study it and no cure is possible. All the treatments are temporary relief and I do understand how you get to that point, it really wears you down mentally. It seems to cycle and flare at times. I’m still searching for the best natural treatment. I’d like to keep my memory intact.
Cilantro did nothing for me either . I use aveeno restorative body was and cream. Anti itch creams make mine worse.😩

@itchyrich

Jump to this post

It's awful that we have to suffer like this. I believe I was misdiagnosed with Miliaria (heat rash) rather than GD 20 years ago. This is when I lived in San Diego (originally from Boston area), which was a dry climate. I was getting a lot of seborrheic keratoses as well. I went to two separate dermatologist and neither did a biopsy, I was only given clobatasol . Clobatasol never worked so I suffered, but the heat rash was only on one side of my back. I moved to Southwest Florida 7 1/2 years ago, which is very hot and humid all year long. The dermatologist also diagnosed me with Miliaria and gave me more clobatasol. Every annual f/up she said it was Miliaria. I got COVID twice, the 2nd time was on Christmas of 2022 but stayed very sick all through January and February of 2023. Needless to say the Miliaria spread to my stomach and chest. I went to my dermatologist and saw the PA this time and she immediately said that looks like Grover's Disease. She did a couple biopsies and sure enough it was positive for GD. They tried to give me clobatasol again and I said no. The gave me Fluocinonide cream 0.05% which worked a little bit but came back once stopped. She then gave me Triamcinolone Cream which also works temporarily and came back once stopped. She prescribed Hydroxyzine but I had side effects. I tried Chlorella but my liver readings came back very high on my blood work. I don't like fresh cilantro smoothies so I take cilantro drops nightly which helps with my burning and stabbing (I don't itch). Someone mentioned on the Facebook group that they put deodorant on their chest and stomach where they have spots and sweat. I actually tried it for the last three days and it's helping. I was shocked. I believe the gentleman who runs the Facebook page says the deodorants that work have aluminum chlorohydrate in them. He explained early research for GD thought it was a sweat disease. Chlorohydrate Aluminum stops by blocking the sweat by binding with the proteins in the sweat to form a proactive membrane over the epidermis that blocks and seals off the sweat glands also shrinking them. I started to sweat where I have GD spots since COVID, I never did before. Hopefully the deodorant will continue to help along with the cilantro oil. I wish you the best!

@itchyrich

Jump to this post

Gabapentin is the only thing that seems to work for me, too.

@griffin1120

Gabapentin is the only thing that seems to work for me, too.

Jump to this post

Just extremely bad for your memory 😩

@jaffsa

It's awful that we have to suffer like this. I believe I was misdiagnosed with Miliaria (heat rash) rather than GD 20 years ago. This is when I lived in San Diego (originally from Boston area), which was a dry climate. I was getting a lot of seborrheic keratoses as well. I went to two separate dermatologist and neither did a biopsy, I was only given clobatasol . Clobatasol never worked so I suffered, but the heat rash was only on one side of my back. I moved to Southwest Florida 7 1/2 years ago, which is very hot and humid all year long. The dermatologist also diagnosed me with Miliaria and gave me more clobatasol. Every annual f/up she said it was Miliaria. I got COVID twice, the 2nd time was on Christmas of 2022 but stayed very sick all through January and February of 2023. Needless to say the Miliaria spread to my stomach and chest. I went to my dermatologist and saw the PA this time and she immediately said that looks like Grover's Disease. She did a couple biopsies and sure enough it was positive for GD. They tried to give me clobatasol again and I said no. The gave me Fluocinonide cream 0.05% which worked a little bit but came back once stopped. She then gave me Triamcinolone Cream which also works temporarily and came back once stopped. She prescribed Hydroxyzine but I had side effects. I tried Chlorella but my liver readings came back very high on my blood work. I don't like fresh cilantro smoothies so I take cilantro drops nightly which helps with my burning and stabbing (I don't itch). Someone mentioned on the Facebook group that they put deodorant on their chest and stomach where they have spots and sweat. I actually tried it for the last three days and it's helping. I was shocked. I believe the gentleman who runs the Facebook page says the deodorants that work have aluminum chlorohydrate in them. He explained early research for GD thought it was a sweat disease. Chlorohydrate Aluminum stops by blocking the sweat by binding with the proteins in the sweat to form a proactive membrane over the epidermis that blocks and seals off the sweat glands also shrinking them. I started to sweat where I have GD spots since COVID, I never did before. Hopefully the deodorant will continue to help along with the cilantro oil. I wish you the best!

Jump to this post

Just a couple of thoughts. It's not deodorant that works but anti-perspirant, which contains aluminum. Even though there is no clinical proof that topical aluminum products cause cancer, many people have stopped using it for this reason. For sure it interrupts the sweat function, and I would be reluctant to use it all over my body for this reason. Sweat is nature's way of cooling the body, and keeping cool is a central tenet of fighting Grover's. Just something to think about and perhaps research further. Secondly, be aware gabapentin can have some nasty side effects and can be addictive. Since you used it for a long time without problems, it may be safe for you. I thought it would be safe for me because I had taken gabapentin for over a year for post herpetic neuralgia following a very bad case of shingles, but when I took it for Grover's my calves and ankles swelled and, after less than a month's use, I had awful withdrawal symptoms for about a week when I quit, including rock bottom depression. Others report memory loss. There's a Facebook group which discusses gabapentin that you might want to take a look at.

@bjwilliams

Just a couple of thoughts. It's not deodorant that works but anti-perspirant, which contains aluminum. Even though there is no clinical proof that topical aluminum products cause cancer, many people have stopped using it for this reason. For sure it interrupts the sweat function, and I would be reluctant to use it all over my body for this reason. Sweat is nature's way of cooling the body, and keeping cool is a central tenet of fighting Grover's. Just something to think about and perhaps research further. Secondly, be aware gabapentin can have some nasty side effects and can be addictive. Since you used it for a long time without problems, it may be safe for you. I thought it would be safe for me because I had taken gabapentin for over a year for post herpetic neuralgia following a very bad case of shingles, but when I took it for Grover's my calves and ankles swelled and, after less than a month's use, I had awful withdrawal symptoms for about a week when I quit, including rock bottom depression. Others report memory loss. There's a Facebook group which discusses gabapentin that you might want to take a look at.

Jump to this post

Thanks for the heads up about aluminum products causing cancer, I was not aware of that. My Grover's Disease is directly caused by sweating. I sweat in those areas whether I'm inside or outside which never happened prior to these new outbreaks. May I'll try the baby rash cream Destin and Gold Bond Powder someone mentioned. Hopefully, those are safe! I've never taken gabapentin, but it appears the other person in this post mentioned it. I'm aware that gabapentin has horrible side effects and would never take it. Im trying to stay away from medication if I can.

@jaffsa

Thanks for the heads up about aluminum products causing cancer, I was not aware of that. My Grover's Disease is directly caused by sweating. I sweat in those areas whether I'm inside or outside which never happened prior to these new outbreaks. May I'll try the baby rash cream Destin and Gold Bond Powder someone mentioned. Hopefully, those are safe! I've never taken gabapentin, but it appears the other person in this post mentioned it. I'm aware that gabapentin has horrible side effects and would never take it. Im trying to stay away from medication if I can.

Jump to this post

Aluminum is tied to Parkinson's, Alzeheimers and Grover's Disease. This is based on aluminum staying in your body like the heavy metal mercury and others. Cilantro, as well as Oregano and other herbs, can chelete your blood naturally. Your blood can be filtered or chelated to remove heavy metals by doctors. I doubt medical plans or medicare would approve of this as a treatment and pay for it because it has not been proven it helps with GD. No other treatment ever gave me relief. They gave me hope, but were a waste of money. If cilantro doesn't put your GD in remission as it did for me back in 2019, at least it will pull out heavy metals that have accumulated which may cause other diseases. I don't like the taste, but I chug it down like a tonic-holding my breath. I only do this several times a month now just for maintanence.

@gardeningjunkie

Aluminum is tied to Parkinson's, Alzeheimers and Grover's Disease. This is based on aluminum staying in your body like the heavy metal mercury and others. Cilantro, as well as Oregano and other herbs, can chelete your blood naturally. Your blood can be filtered or chelated to remove heavy metals by doctors. I doubt medical plans or medicare would approve of this as a treatment and pay for it because it has not been proven it helps with GD. No other treatment ever gave me relief. They gave me hope, but were a waste of money. If cilantro doesn't put your GD in remission as it did for me back in 2019, at least it will pull out heavy metals that have accumulated which may cause other diseases. I don't like the taste, but I chug it down like a tonic-holding my breath. I only do this several times a month now just for maintanence.

Jump to this post

Very interesting! Thank you for those details. I love oregano and will try the fresh cilantro again. Do you drink the blended cilantro by itself or in a smoothie? If it's in a smoothie, do you have a recipe you like the best?

@jaffsa

Very interesting! Thank you for those details. I love oregano and will try the fresh cilantro again. Do you drink the blended cilantro by itself or in a smoothie? If it's in a smoothie, do you have a recipe you like the best?

Jump to this post

Initially I added 1/2 bunch, fresh or fresh frozen, to my tasty morning smoothie- almond milk, probiotic plain yogurt, frozen fruit like banana, blueberries and etc., collegen powder and raw egg. It overpowered the drink, in a bad way and I couldn't taste the other flavors.
I accepted I could never adjust to the taste and now make a simple tonic- 1/2 bunch fresh or fresh frozen, enough water to liquify, about 1/2 cup of water in a blender until blended completely and drink quickly without breathing. The taste is barely noticeable.
In the Ozarks, zone 6, the herb Oregano grows beautifully all year round and doesn't die out, whereas I've never been able to get cilantro to thrive even for a month or more.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.