This and That and Talk - My Transplant

Posted by Rosemary, Volunteer Mentor @rosemarya, Apr 9, 2017

As our Mayo Connect community grows, I am constantly meeting organ transplant members on a wide variety of forums with a wide range of issues that are not directly transplant specific. However, because we are all transplant recipients, we have a special connection: a unique journey and best of all - a new life! We don't always need help or advice. Many times we just want to chat with someone like us! That is my purpose in starting This and That and Talk.

Drop in and say 'Hi'. You are welcome anytime.

What do you want t to talk about? What words can you offer to someone who is on the journey? Do you have any questions for another recipient?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Transplants Support Group.

@gaylea1

@rosemarya Hi Rosemary. Well after the 3 surgeries last month I'm back to hospital again tomorrow morning. Numbers are trending too high again and they believe blocked bile ducts are the reason this time. I looked into this and apparently almost 50% of liver transplant patients go through the same thing. I am just sharing my experiences so that others can be aware that once the transplant is done there can be all sorts of complications. Some people will have none. So far angioplast, artery repair, type 2 diabetes and blocked bile ducts have been on my list. Every stage is a step forward though.

Jump to this post

My transplant journey had plenty of twists and turns also. At the very outset my pre-coordinator told me that my transplant was not a cure all. It would be an exchange of one set of problems for another. I came through the surgery with flying colors. I was out of the hospital in 5 days thinking “ that wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be “. My first setback came when I came down with CMV. I used to describe my symptoms as having mono on steroids. We worked our way through that and I thought I was in the clear. Then came the big one GVHD. There is nothing that will scare you more than going online and reading the medical studies on your condition or having your medical team tell you it’s a condition so rare in solid organ transplants that they don’t know how to test for confirmation or even how to treat it. All you can do at that point is trust your team. So there will be setbacks and there will be good days & bad days and eventually things will calm down & it will be smooth sailing. Keep your spirits up and maintain a positive attitude.

@des46893

My transplant journey had plenty of twists and turns also. At the very outset my pre-coordinator told me that my transplant was not a cure all. It would be an exchange of one set of problems for another. I came through the surgery with flying colors. I was out of the hospital in 5 days thinking “ that wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be “. My first setback came when I came down with CMV. I used to describe my symptoms as having mono on steroids. We worked our way through that and I thought I was in the clear. Then came the big one GVHD. There is nothing that will scare you more than going online and reading the medical studies on your condition or having your medical team tell you it’s a condition so rare in solid organ transplants that they don’t know how to test for confirmation or even how to treat it. All you can do at that point is trust your team. So there will be setbacks and there will be good days & bad days and eventually things will calm down & it will be smooth sailing. Keep your spirits up and maintain a positive attitude.

Jump to this post

@des46893 It is good to be aware of the potential problems, but also to keep in mind that those problems are less frequent than having everything go successfully. As you said, GVHD is apparently very rare, and I had not heard of CMV either.
Things went along better than I ever imagined when I had my liver transplant. I thought being older (69 at the time of transplant) that I might have more problems than I did but I was great, very quickly.
@gaylea1 I am sure these bumps in the road will get over quickly and things will be smooth sailing after that. Keep us informed.
JK

Hello, members of the Transplants group. I know many of you have gotten to know @contentandwell in discussions here, and thought you'd enjoy reading more about her in today's Connect member spotlight.

Check out the Member Spotlights and read the latest story about @contentandwell:
– Tech-Lover, Researcher and Cook: Meet @contentandwell https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/about-connect/newsfeed/tech-lover-researcher-and-cook-meet-contentandwell/

Be sure to subscribe (+Follow) the About Connect page https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/about-connect/ and see new member spotlights published every 2 weeks.

@gaylea1

@rosemarya Hi Rosemary. Well after the 3 surgeries last month I'm back to hospital again tomorrow morning. Numbers are trending too high again and they believe blocked bile ducts are the reason this time. I looked into this and apparently almost 50% of liver transplant patients go through the same thing. I am just sharing my experiences so that others can be aware that once the transplant is done there can be all sorts of complications. Some people will have none. So far angioplast, artery repair, type 2 diabetes and blocked bile ducts have been on my list. Every stage is a step forward though.

Jump to this post

@rosemarya @contentandwell @jeanne5009 Since my last post I've had the ERCP procedure (scope to insert stent to unblock bile duct) and it failed. They managed to rattle my pancreas which ended up with me having pancreatitis. The symptons being severe nausea, vomiting and pain. I was unable to hold anything down including my immunosuppresents and other meds. I've been back in hospital since last Thursday waiting for this to be resolved. I will be scheduled for another ERCP to try and get the stent in again. 🤞🤞that it works this time and that I don't get pancreatitis again. Hopefully soon I'll be on the right track. I WILL SURVIVE! Lol...new mantra.

@gaylea1

@rosemarya @contentandwell @jeanne5009 Since my last post I've had the ERCP procedure (scope to insert stent to unblock bile duct) and it failed. They managed to rattle my pancreas which ended up with me having pancreatitis. The symptons being severe nausea, vomiting and pain. I was unable to hold anything down including my immunosuppresents and other meds. I've been back in hospital since last Thursday waiting for this to be resolved. I will be scheduled for another ERCP to try and get the stent in again. 🤞🤞that it works this time and that I don't get pancreatitis again. Hopefully soon I'll be on the right track. I WILL SURVIVE! Lol...new mantra.

Jump to this post

Gaylea, It is nice to hear from you. I do wish the circumstances were different, but they will be soon.
I admire your attitude and new mantra! My belief is that it be the strength that your body needs to keep recovering. My husband and i were told to expect 'bumps' along the way, and that is how we always look at any complicating factor. I have learned that sometimes what is a major thing for me, is actually a routine procedure for the experts. So even if something comes out with unexpected results they know how to proceed.

How do you feel now? Are you able to get out of bed while waiting for the next ERCP?
I wish I could come by and sit with you for a while, I thing we would have lots to talk about! Have you ever heard anything from @parmcat about the liver transplant support group he was starting? That would be so convenient for you.

If you want some good, non-transplant conversation to occupy your mind and promote your positivity, I recommend the following discussions. Both are in Just Want to TaltkDiscussions:
-Gratitude Discussion Group - I think you will already know some of the members
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/gratitude-discussion-group/?orderby=DESC#thread-new-comment
-Art for Healing
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/art-for-healing/

I look forward to your next update. Hugs and prayers.

@gaylea1

Jump to this post

@gaylea1 You really have been through a lot, but you still sound very positive. That's key I think.
I hope the next ERCP does not fail. Yes, you will survive and come through with flying colors. Your strength will win out.
JK

@rosemarya

Gaylea, It is nice to hear from you. I do wish the circumstances were different, but they will be soon.
I admire your attitude and new mantra! My belief is that it be the strength that your body needs to keep recovering. My husband and i were told to expect 'bumps' along the way, and that is how we always look at any complicating factor. I have learned that sometimes what is a major thing for me, is actually a routine procedure for the experts. So even if something comes out with unexpected results they know how to proceed.

How do you feel now? Are you able to get out of bed while waiting for the next ERCP?
I wish I could come by and sit with you for a while, I thing we would have lots to talk about! Have you ever heard anything from @parmcat about the liver transplant support group he was starting? That would be so convenient for you.

If you want some good, non-transplant conversation to occupy your mind and promote your positivity, I recommend the following discussions. Both are in Just Want to TaltkDiscussions:
-Gratitude Discussion Group - I think you will already know some of the members
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/gratitude-discussion-group/?orderby=DESC#thread-new-comment
-Art for Healing
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/art-for-healing/

I look forward to your next update. Hugs and prayers.

Jump to this post

@rosemarya Hello Rosemary. I am in and out of bed. I walk a lot on my own. So my mobility is really good.
It would be lovely to talk with you in person. I am content though just knowing you are there cheering me on.
I never did hear anything more from parmcat.
Thank uou for the great resources to talk.
Hopefully I will have better news on my next post. I'll be in hospital a few days yet.
Gayle

@contentandwell

@des46893 It is good to be aware of the potential problems, but also to keep in mind that those problems are less frequent than having everything go successfully. As you said, GVHD is apparently very rare, and I had not heard of CMV either.
Things went along better than I ever imagined when I had my liver transplant. I thought being older (69 at the time of transplant) that I might have more problems than I did but I was great, very quickly.
@gaylea1 I am sure these bumps in the road will get over quickly and things will be smooth sailing after that. Keep us informed.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell I will definitely keep you updated. Thanks so much for caring. It meand a lot.
Gayle

@contentandwell

@gaylea1 I didn't have many of your complications, but the diabetes one is pretty common I think due to prednisone. I had to be on insulin for a while until they decreased my prednisone dosage.
I hope the bile duct problem is easily resolved. Looking forward to hearing that that everything is A-ok.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell I will be rescheduled for another ERCP once I recover from the last attempt.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.