This and That and Talk - My Transplant

Posted by Rosemary, Volunteer Mentor @rosemarya, Apr 9, 2017

As our Mayo Connect community grows, I am constantly meeting organ transplant members on a wide variety of forums with a wide range of issues that are not directly transplant specific. However, because we are all transplant recipients, we have a special connection: a unique journey and best of all - a new life! We don't always need help or advice. Many times we just want to chat with someone like us! That is my purpose in starting This and That and Talk.

Drop in and say 'Hi'. You are welcome anytime.

What do you want t to talk about? What words can you offer to someone who is on the journey? Do you have any questions for another recipient?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Transplants Support Group.

I made a run to the grocery this morning after church. WooHoo! I don't have to go there tomorrow:-) (I hope)
My husband and I will have a quiet and relaxing Christmas. We will attend Christmas Eve service together at his church, and Christmas morning at my church. I have picked my violin back up since transplant, and I will be playing some hymns. That has long been our tradition, even when the boys were young. My brother-in-law will join us for Dinner on Christmas and our boys will be here on Saturday. There will be 6 adults and 5yr old granddaughter who is celebrating her birthday.

@rosemarya

I made a run to the grocery this morning after church. WooHoo! I don't have to go there tomorrow:-) (I hope)
My husband and I will have a quiet and relaxing Christmas. We will attend Christmas Eve service together at his church, and Christmas morning at my church. I have picked my violin back up since transplant, and I will be playing some hymns. That has long been our tradition, even when the boys were young. My brother-in-law will join us for Dinner on Christmas and our boys will be here on Saturday. There will be 6 adults and 5yr old granddaughter who is celebrating her birthday.

Jump to this post

@rosemarya sounds like nice times, and being spread out gives you breathing time. I hope to get to midnight mass on Christmas Eve but it will depend on how tired I am. I go alone. My son is not a church-goer but when he lived here he would go with me.
I went to the supermarket today but I still have to go tomorrow, and will have to go on Wednesday too, to get some things very fresh like bread or rolls. I used to make those things but now I do not.
JK

@rosemarya

Jump to this post

@rosemarya That sounds like a fine plan! The granddaughter may be quite the center of attention, I bet! How wonderful to use your musical talent and play hymns for others.
@contentandwell Be careful in the stores! We stopped yesterday to top off fresh things, and boy howdy it sure was packed. We are going out of town for a few days, so no need to get many supplies in.
Ginger

@gingerw

@rosemarya That sounds like a fine plan! The granddaughter may be quite the center of attention, I bet! How wonderful to use your musical talent and play hymns for others.
@contentandwell Be careful in the stores! We stopped yesterday to top off fresh things, and boy howdy it sure was packed. We are going out of town for a few days, so no need to get many supplies in.
Ginger

Jump to this post

Ginger, I hope you and your husband will have an opportunity to relax and enjoy some time together. Have a safe trip:-)

Thanks for your kind words. I have to tell you the whole truth: I have found that by playing music at church, I always have a 'safe' reserved seat that is away from the crowd/germs. It is also a way for me to give back to those wonderful people who prayed and supported me and my husband when I was so very ill before my transplant.

@rosemarya

Ginger, I hope you and your husband will have an opportunity to relax and enjoy some time together. Have a safe trip:-)

Thanks for your kind words. I have to tell you the whole truth: I have found that by playing music at church, I always have a 'safe' reserved seat that is away from the crowd/germs. It is also a way for me to give back to those wonderful people who prayed and supported me and my husband when I was so very ill before my transplant.

Jump to this post

@rosemarya You made me laugh! A childhood friend of mine was blessed with a naturally high soprano voice. [we sang duets thru Jr and Sr high school] She often told me the same thing, as she sang for services, weddings and funerals. What a wonderful gift to your fellow church members.
Ginger

@rosemarya

Jump to this post

@rosemarya Your church is lucky to have such talent to play their music. At my church there is an organist and a soloist. I realize, they take what they can get but I generally cringe when any of the soloists sing. I wish the music was a bit better, but I guess there is a lack of volunteer talent up here.
JK

@rosemarya

Jump to this post

@contentandwell

@rosemarya Your church is lucky to have such talent to play their music. At my church there is an organist and a soloist. I realize, they take what they can get but I generally cringe when any of the soloists sing. I wish the music was a bit better, but I guess there is a lack of volunteer talent up here.
JK

Jump to this post

@rosemarya I have to update my comments about the music in my church. I went to the midnight mass on Christmas and the music was lovely. There was a very good choir. I guess the Masses I generally attend just do not get the choir. It was so nice, and the church was surprisingly only about half-full. I had anticipated a much larger attendance at that Mass. I really enjoyed it despite almost falling asleep at one part of the liturgy.
JK

In reply to @jeanne5009 "@rosemarya" + (show)

Hi, Jeanne. I am getting prepared for the family coming here tomorrow. The verdict is out on whether several small celebrations are easier, or more difficult! Between birthdays, and coordinating work schedules during the holidays, it has been interesting. Luckily, me and my husband are retired and can be flexible.
How are you getting along? Has any of the itching subsided? Any recent liver news? What are your thoughts about this "liver stuff' as the new year arrives?

@rosemarya

Jump to this post

Ginger, How was the time away?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.