This and That and Talk - My Transplant

Posted by Rosemary, Volunteer Mentor @rosemarya, Apr 9, 2017

As our Mayo Connect community grows, I am constantly meeting organ transplant members on a wide variety of forums with a wide range of issues that are not directly transplant specific. However, because we are all transplant recipients, we have a special connection: a unique journey and best of all - a new life! We don't always need help or advice. Many times we just want to chat with someone like us! That is my purpose in starting This and That and Talk.

Drop in and say 'Hi'. You are welcome anytime.

What do you want t to talk about? What words can you offer to someone who is on the journey? Do you have any questions for another recipient?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Transplants Support Group.

@contentandwell

@jeanne5009 I hope your friend is doing well, he is lucky to have you there for him.
That's terrible that your phone was stolen! When I was in the hospital I was sent down for an endoscopy. When I was "under" someone stole my brand new UGG slippers off my feet! I was furious, they were a gift, and they are not inexpensive.
JK

Jump to this post

Thieves prey on distracted people I guess.
My friend is doing a little better. I'm hoping that he can be released so we can follow up with the good gastro dr in the other hospital to decide what to do with the cyst on his pancreas
Gary is like a brother to me and has no living family. He has taken me to Mayo for my evaluation and lots of dr visits never thinking he might be in worse shape than me...I'm trying to pay it forward. I also realize I am risking my own health hanging out at hospital.....

@jeanne5009

Gaylea1
I had my phone stolen in the ER while acting as an advocate for a friend with a pancreatic emergency after gall bladder surgery. Imagine! So I lost everything and am just now getting to your unhappy news.
My friend Gary has had 2 ERCP procedures this week and finally they transferred him to another hospital 20 miles away to fperform an endoscopy ultrasound to remove a 10mm stone! Now he has pancretItis and may have to stay a few more days.They also found a very enlarged prostate and a cyst on his pancreas which may be cancerous. This is a guy who has never been sick or hospitalized. I am using all of our knowledge and experience that we get here at Connect to bring him out of his frustration and nasty mood..lol
You seem to be going thru something similar. You must be exhausted and wondering what comes next. Just know I am thinking of you and praying for God to give you strength and the doctors the skills to get you back to your happy life again.

Jump to this post

@jeanne5009 ..I am so sorry to hear about your phone. Seems like there are no 'safe' places anymore. I am nervous about this 2nd ERCP as I also developed pancreatitis with the first attempt. Because of that they admitted me to hospital twice and this time I'm not going home until we know for sure I recover fully. I am tired but have a great system worked out with my nurses to deal with the pain and nausea. Thanks for your healing thoughts.

@gaylea1

@jeanne5009 ..I am so sorry to hear about your phone. Seems like there are no 'safe' places anymore. I am nervous about this 2nd ERCP as I also developed pancreatitis with the first attempt. Because of that they admitted me to hospital twice and this time I'm not going home until we know for sure I recover fully. I am tired but have a great system worked out with my nurses to deal with the pain and nausea. Thanks for your healing thoughts.

Jump to this post

@gaylea1
What are they looking to do with this ERCP?

@gaylea1

@contentandwell @rosemarya My time back home (3 days) didn't last long. Back in the hospital since last Thurs (today is Sun). My next ERCP is scheduled for tomorrow morning. If the stent can't be inserted internally they will have to place a drain externally or in the worst scenario open me up (again) and surgically correct. That would be 3 surgeries in 2 months. Oh well....whatever it takes to come out on the other side.

Jump to this post

Gaylea, you can count on my prayers.

@jeanne5009

Gaylea1
I had my phone stolen in the ER while acting as an advocate for a friend with a pancreatic emergency after gall bladder surgery. Imagine! So I lost everything and am just now getting to your unhappy news.
My friend Gary has had 2 ERCP procedures this week and finally they transferred him to another hospital 20 miles away to fperform an endoscopy ultrasound to remove a 10mm stone! Now he has pancretItis and may have to stay a few more days.They also found a very enlarged prostate and a cyst on his pancreas which may be cancerous. This is a guy who has never been sick or hospitalized. I am using all of our knowledge and experience that we get here at Connect to bring him out of his frustration and nasty mood..lol
You seem to be going thru something similar. You must be exhausted and wondering what comes next. Just know I am thinking of you and praying for God to give you strength and the doctors the skills to get you back to your happy life again.

Jump to this post

Jeanne, How awful for you to have your phone stolen. How wonderful that you stick with your friend at his side. One day at a time, I hope and pray that his condition improves.

@jeanne5009

@gaylea1
What are they looking to do with this ERCP?

Jump to this post

@jeanne5009 This procedure is to unblock a bile duct with a stent. My numbers aren't falling and with ultra sound and other tests they found the duct narrowed.

@gaylea1

@jeanne5009 This procedure is to unblock a bile duct with a stent. My numbers aren't falling and with ultra sound and other tests they found the duct narrowed.

Jump to this post

@gaylea1. Prayers for a productive procedure.

@gaylea1

Jump to this post

Gaylea, I am thinking about you. I want you to know that I am remembering you in my prayers.

@jeanne5009

Thieves prey on distracted people I guess.
My friend is doing a little better. I'm hoping that he can be released so we can follow up with the good gastro dr in the other hospital to decide what to do with the cyst on his pancreas
Gary is like a brother to me and has no living family. He has taken me to Mayo for my evaluation and lots of dr visits never thinking he might be in worse shape than me...I'm trying to pay it forward. I also realize I am risking my own health hanging out at hospital.....

Jump to this post

Jeanne, How is your friend getting along? I hope that he has found a gastro who can make a diagnosis and treatment.
How about you? Were you able to avoid picking up bothersome germs while hanging out at the hospital? I hope that you are getting some rest during all of this.

@rosemarya

Jeanne, How is your friend getting along? I hope that he has found a gastro who can make a diagnosis and treatment.
How about you? Were you able to avoid picking up bothersome germs while hanging out at the hospital? I hope that you are getting some rest during all of this.

Jump to this post

@rosemarya
Hopefully Gary will be discharged on Monday. Poor guy has been through it! 2 ERCP then one with ultra sound that produced a 9mm stone. He also has a cyst on his pancreas that will have to be addressed soon. The plan is to find the right doctors, hospital, and insurance. The local hospital is a disaster as are the group of gastros he got stuck with! All lessons learned tie into my issues so it was good I could help.
Had my own 6 mo. Ct scan..waiting for results. One of the residents was sick and needed to NOT be in the hospital. Hoping I don't get it.Im taking extra Vit C as a precaution.
Itchy rash still around. Met a guy in the hospital with Cirrohsis and we compared notes. Lots going on around here.
I'm thinking of Gaylea and all the strength she must have. God is watching over her I am sure.We all need his help.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.