This and That and Talk - My Transplant

Posted by Rosemary, Volunteer Mentor @rosemarya, Apr 9, 2017

As our Mayo Connect community grows, I am constantly meeting organ transplant members on a wide variety of forums with a wide range of issues that are not directly transplant specific. However, because we are all transplant recipients, we have a special connection: a unique journey and best of all - a new life! We don't always need help or advice. Many times we just want to chat with someone like us! That is my purpose in starting This and That and Talk.

Drop in and say 'Hi'. You are welcome anytime.

What do you want t to talk about? What words can you offer to someone who is on the journey? Do you have any questions for another recipient?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Transplants Support Group.

@cmael

My biopsies took about 3 hrs.
and I did not have to stay in the hospital. I was in Rochester for a length of time during both biopsies, but not because of them.

Jump to this post

Same here! Outpatient procedure, and there is a waiting and observation period afterward to monitor vital signs, and that the urine is passing. I was able to enjoy a sandwich and beverage during that wait, and chat with my husband.

Taarthi - A neat thing to realize, is that the transplanted kidney is easier to access for the biopsy than the native kidneys, since it is in lower abdomen.

@rosemarya

Same here! Outpatient procedure, and there is a waiting and observation period afterward to monitor vital signs, and that the urine is passing. I was able to enjoy a sandwich and beverage during that wait, and chat with my husband.

Taarthi - A neat thing to realize, is that the transplanted kidney is easier to access for the biopsy than the native kidneys, since it is in lower abdomen.

Jump to this post

oh yea, excellent point about the location of the new kidney! 🙂

@taarthi

oh yea, excellent point about the location of the new kidney! 🙂

Jump to this post

taarthi, The location of the kidney was pointed out to me by a very kind nurse when she sensed my concern about the procedure:-)

I hope that your wait time is going smoothly for you. Have you already packed your bags? I suggest that you pack a hand lotion that you enjoy, and a lipstick/lipgloss, maybe even a pair of ear rings (things that will make you feel good) as you complete your recovery. Also a pair of soft warm sweatpants will be nice to change into after you get rid of the hospital gown;-)

@rosemarya @taarthi the hospital I was in for my knee replacement is a “scent free zone”, no scented creams allowed so you might want to check on that at your hospital. It seemed rather restrictive since all the rooms are private but the hospital personnel must have requested that. Some scents can be quite strong.
JK

@contentandwell

@rosemarya @taarthi the hospital I was in for my knee replacement is a “scent free zone”, no scented creams allowed so you might want to check on that at your hospital. It seemed rather restrictive since all the rooms are private but the hospital personnel must have requested that. Some scents can be quite strong.
JK

Jump to this post

Thank you for pointing this out!
It does raise a question for me, now, because I was thinking about the 'original scent' daily type of hand lotions (like baby lotion for example). They are not heavily scented or perfumed. This is interesting, because there are many individuals who are sensitive to perfumes.

You are absolutely right in suggesting to check with the hospital, first.

Hi all,
We just opened a new Page on Connect where we share all of Mayo Clinic Radio's broadcasts. We're slowly uploading all the past episodes. Here's one you'll all be interested in:

Gift of Life Transplant House
Mary Wilder, director of the Gift of Life Transplant House, and house resident John Roise give an inside look at how staying at Gift of Life helps eases the financial and emotional burdens of a transplant journey.
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/podcasts/newsfeed/gift-of-life-transplant-house-mayo-clinic-radio/

Stay tuned. You will see more transplant related podcasts coming as we continue uploading them. Simply filter by category: Transplant.

taarthi, As your big day approaches, I thought you might like to take a look at this. I realize that you are the recipient, however, I think you will find comfort in learning how much coordination and care go into the living donor process.

Living Kidney Donation Surgery Play-by-Play
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/transplant/newsfeed/living-kidney-donation-surgery-play-by-play/

@contentandwell

JK

Jump to this post

Thanks for bringing the 'scent' issue to my attention! Here is a discussion from the Lung Health Group: Fragrances and Asthma / Allergies
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/fragrances-and-asthma-allergies/

@rosemarya just got the call at 12:30 this afternoon. I'm scheduled for surgery today at 5pm. Wish me luck!!

@gaylea1

@rosemarya just got the call at 12:30 this afternoon. I'm scheduled for surgery today at 5pm. Wish me luck!!

Jump to this post

@rosemarya liver transplant. On wait list for 17 months.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.