This and That and Talk - My Transplant

Posted by Rosemary, Volunteer Mentor @rosemarya, Apr 9, 2017

As our Mayo Connect community grows, I am constantly meeting organ transplant members on a wide variety of forums with a wide range of issues that are not directly transplant specific. However, because we are all transplant recipients, we have a special connection: a unique journey and best of all - a new life! We don't always need help or advice. Many times we just want to chat with someone like us! That is my purpose in starting This and That and Talk.

Drop in and say 'Hi'. You are welcome anytime.

What do you want t to talk about? What words can you offer to someone who is on the journey? Do you have any questions for another recipient?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Transplants Support Group.

@gaylea1

@contentandwell it's wonderful to have such great support. I'm sure your husband and children are happy to see you doing well.

Jump to this post

@gaylea1 it has been great. I didn’t realize until after my transplant that because I was so miserable for about 6 weeks prior my husband thought he was going to lose me - I gained about 35 pounds of fluid.
My transplant was in September and for Christmas not only did my son, daughter, and her fiancé (now husband) totally prepare dinner for us and company, but they gave me a beautiful gift.
JK

Do they do a kidney biopsy after 90 days of kidney transplant? I had a kidney biopsy 15 years ago during my initial diagnosis and it was awful! I really hope I never get to have another biopsy again but I saw online that it is a norm to do a kidney biopsy after a kidney transplant. Is that true?

@taarthi

Do they do a kidney biopsy after 90 days of kidney transplant? I had a kidney biopsy 15 years ago during my initial diagnosis and it was awful! I really hope I never get to have another biopsy again but I saw online that it is a norm to do a kidney biopsy after a kidney transplant. Is that true?

Jump to this post

In reply to @cmael "@taarthi" + (show)

I had a kidney biopsy shortly after transplant due rejection which was treated successfully. I also had one in August as part of my 4 month follow up. Neither one was particularly painful. They do treat the area with Lidocaine or something similar before.

@taarthi my husband had to have a biopsy on his liver after his transplant. They did a topical on his stomach before they did it. All the nerve endings for the liver had been cut so he didn't feel anything. I'm assuming it would be the same for a kidney.
Blessings,
JoDee

@taarthi

Jump to this post

@taarthi - At Mayo Clinic, our post-kidney transplant patients could be scheduled for biopsy at 4 months, 1 year, 2 years, 4 years, 5 years, 7 years, and 10 years after transplant, depending upon the patient's situation. These biopsies show the doctors the inner workings of your kidney to be sure it is functioning correctly, and biopsy is one way to diagnose possible rejection. Not all clinics may have the same schedule, but I would definitely recommend doing what your team thinks you should do. I know it can be uncomfortable and even a bit painful to some people, but it's much better than the alterative of losing a kidney to rejection or non-function.

Thanks everyone! Does the Kidney biopsy require overnight stay at the hospital? I had a 24 hour stay for my first kidney biopsy.

@taarthi

Thanks everyone! Does the Kidney biopsy require overnight stay at the hospital? I had a 24 hour stay for my first kidney biopsy.

Jump to this post

My biopsies took about 3 hrs.
and I did not have to stay in the hospital. I was in Rochester for a length of time during both biopsies, but not because of them.

@cmael

My biopsies took about 3 hrs.
and I did not have to stay in the hospital. I was in Rochester for a length of time during both biopsies, but not because of them.

Jump to this post

Thanks for your response!

@jodeej

@taarthi my husband had to have a biopsy on his liver after his transplant. They did a topical on his stomach before they did it. All the nerve endings for the liver had been cut so he didn't feel anything. I'm assuming it would be the same for a kidney.
Blessings,
JoDee

Jump to this post

I also had a biopsy of liver after transplant. And, Yes - much easier that the ones I had before transplant. I will not need another liver biopsy as long as all continues to go well with my 'new' liver.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.