Sleep Apnea and adjusting to a CPAP machine: Tips?

Posted by vickiw @vickiw, Sep 24, 2016

I'm confused on what to do on CPAP. I hate it and am trying to find a dentist that will take my insurance for a dental device. What would happen if I stop using my CPAP while I'm waiting for one?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Sleep Health Support Group.

@dawn_giacabazi

There is a new mask that works great and you do not have to worry about your mouth opening. It is fits over your mouth but under your nose. I love it. Best mask I've ever used.

Jump to this post

You can get a chin strap at your supplier where you get your face mask. A chin strap goes over your head and under your chin to keep your mouth closed. It does not work for me though as I am overweight and have a big double chin that causes the chin strap to just slide off. If you do not have a double chin this may very well work for you.

@dawn_giacabazi

There is a new mask that works great and you do not have to worry about your mouth opening. It is fits over your mouth but under your nose. I love it. Best mask I've ever used.

Jump to this post

My hospital based DME provider but most Durable Medical Equipment providers have The Phillip products. They are the most used in sleep apnea patients.

I have had mine about a year now. I LOVE mine. I have tried about 5 others with much discomfort and leaks. Now I have an occasional 1 % leakage whet before I was at 50% nightly.

Mouth breathers will definitely love the comfort!!!
Dawn

I have had severe obstructive sleep apnea for over 20 years. It's gotten especially worse in the last 3 or 4 years. I can easily fall asleep at a red light while driving. A couple weeks ago I had a fender bender because of it and many near misses. A year ago I was relieved of my duties at work because I was always tired and forgetful. I was passed up for a promotion. I've tried using many different CPAPs, masks, pressures, etc. but nothing works. Even when I use it faithfully, I'm still excessively tired during the day. The doctors I've seen have all said to keep using it, it's the best treatment for this condition. I'm a 60-year-old female, 5' and 150 pounds (I had bariatric surgery 6 months and lost 60 lbs). I was hoping the weight loss would help, but sadly, it has not. I'm desperate, I'd like to know if anyone else has this problem?

@mzzmimm

I have had severe obstructive sleep apnea for over 20 years. It's gotten especially worse in the last 3 or 4 years. I can easily fall asleep at a red light while driving. A couple weeks ago I had a fender bender because of it and many near misses. A year ago I was relieved of my duties at work because I was always tired and forgetful. I was passed up for a promotion. I've tried using many different CPAPs, masks, pressures, etc. but nothing works. Even when I use it faithfully, I'm still excessively tired during the day. The doctors I've seen have all said to keep using it, it's the best treatment for this condition. I'm a 60-year-old female, 5' and 150 pounds (I had bariatric surgery 6 months and lost 60 lbs). I was hoping the weight loss would help, but sadly, it has not. I'm desperate, I'd like to know if anyone else has this problem?

Jump to this post

Do you have a CPAP and not a Bi-PAP? That is a machine that automatically adjusts to the pressure you need. Have you been to your doctor that treats you for your sleep apnea to have the machine read to see how it is treating your sleep apnea? That should tell your doctor if the sleep apnea is really being treated. If so, then it has to be something else, which you need to talk to your doctor about. Be emphatic as this is a real problem for you. Have you been on your machine faithfully for a long time? It can take up to 6 months or more to catch up on your sleep after starting on a CPAP. I wish you the best in coming up with a solution for your problem.

@mzzmimm

Jump to this post

don't feel badim unable to use mine cause I cant handle anything on my face an the air blowing down my throat.im working with a ent for surgery for it

@mzzmimm

Jump to this post

I had a cpap then switched docs an he put me on a apap my problem is mask I cant handle anything on my face an the air blowing down my throat I have not used mine in almost a month an half I sleep propted up an sleep real good an not tired during the day unless I had hard day at work im working with a ent rite now t see what surgery would help me

@mzzmimm

Jump to this post

@mzzmimm

I've been using a CPAP faithfully for a long time - more than 15 years. My life was radically improved when I started using it. I don't suppose the sleep doctor mentioned narcolepsy? I am tired a lot of the time, but not because of sleep issues. Several of my meds cause drowsiness, and drowsiness is a side effect of lots of illnesses. I sat down to write this note, and more than an hour later, I dragged myself awake.

Jim

@mzzmimm

Jump to this post

Thank you for your reply. I have a CPAP. I haven't seen a sleep apnea doctor for a year. I think I'm going to ask for a new doctor. I've used my machine faithfully for a couple months now. Previously, I've used it for months with no result.

@mzzmimm

Jump to this post

I am changing doctors.

@mzzmimm

Jump to this post

My doctor has never mentioned Narcolepsy.  I used to take quite a bit of meds, but since I lost the weight, am on only a few.  Thanks for your response.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.