Sleep Apnea and adjusting to a CPAP machine: Tips?

Posted by vickiw @vickiw, Sep 24, 2016

I'm confused on what to do on CPAP. I hate it and am trying to find a dentist that will take my insurance for a dental device. What would happen if I stop using my CPAP while I'm waiting for one?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Sleep Health Support Group.

I'm getting fitted for a CPAP device on Monday. Sorry to read you hate it. How long did you try the device? I've heard it takes a while to get used to.

I have used a CPAP for over three years and I love it. It may take some getting used to but it helps me breathe so much better. I think it is my best friend. I know it will get me breathing again when I stop in the night. I think you need to give it a chance. It is a life support to me. Hope you keep trying until you find something you feel more comfortable with.

@mollyb1968

I have used a CPAP for over three years and I love it. It may take some getting used to but it helps me breathe so much better. I think it is my best friend. I know it will get me breathing again when I stop in the night. I think you need to give it a chance. It is a life support to me. Hope you keep trying until you find something you feel more comfortable with.

Jump to this post

Hi Molly,
What mask do you use? I have tried several full face masks and they all seem to leak. This may be a fitting issue, but I have tried for the last year to find the proper fitting mask for me. My provider has two to three to choose from and I don't know where to go from here, Thank you for bring the subject of being your best frien up. I sleep much better but only for short periods due to leaks and rearranging my mask!

@mollyb1968

Jump to this post

What kind of mask do you use. I'm getting one tomorrow. I'm hoping it also works for me.

@mollyb1968

Jump to this post

Same problems as you~leaks and rearranging the tubing keep me from sleeping well. Battling with this for many years and have tried numerous types of masks. Have never felt the benefits that others speak of. Is it even worth it to continue?<br><br>

@mollyb1968

Jump to this post

Hello,
I have the AirFit F10 Full Face Mask System. I hope all goes well for you tomorrow! Cpap therapy can make a big difference in your overall health and how you feel. Keep in touch and nice meeting you.

@mollyb1968

Jump to this post

Hello,
It is great to know that someone else has the same problems. I keep trying because I know the health benefits and did notice a small difference in sleep quality if only for a few hours. But feeling wonderful as other people I have talked with has not yet happened for me either. I have been non compliant for a year and am trying again always hoping something will change. What mask do you have if I may ask? Nice to meet you.

nasal pillow an tape my mouth shut but I gave up on the cpap the other nite I just cant sleep with it on

I'm going to try an get a dental device to wear I have been on the cpap for 6 months an cant deal with it

@vickiw

I'm going to try an get a dental device to wear I have been on the cpap for 6 months an cant deal with it

Jump to this post

Good morning,

I have heard about the dental devices and their improvement. My dentist recently had training regarding sleep apnea and dental devices. He advised they are not as efficient as Cpap, but are getting there. Please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing. Nice talking with you.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.