Osteoporosis meds: How do they work?

Posted by grandmabubblestwin @grandmabubblestwin, Nov 11, 2016

I've been reading about osteoporosis and this is what I've seen so far: An individual builds bone until about age 30 then they begin to lose bone. Osteo meds do not help you build bone, they may actually prevent the natural bone building process but they do help you retain the bone you have but can make bone brittle. Correct?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Osteoporosis & Bone Health Support Group.

@jakedduck1

@contentandwell
Good morning,
People should get enough boron the body needs in a healthy diet. The problem with supplements is there are people that seem to believe if a little bits good a lot more is better. There have been studies that are showing people are taking far more vitamins and minerals than their bodies need which may cause problems. Boron is helpful in so many body functions and is needed for good bone health as well. Here is a list of some crucial vitamins and minerals and a couple other nutrients for good bone health which is also good for overall health.

Calcium
Magnesium (Mg):
Chromium
Silica
Zinc
Manganese
Copper
Boron
Strontium
Vitamin A
Vitamin B6
Folate (vitamin B-9
Vitamin B12
Vitamins K1 and K2
Potassium
Phosphorus
Vitamin C
Vitamin D
Fats
Protein
Good health and happiness,
Jake

Jump to this post

I would like to know on what you are basing the claim for Strontium being necessary? Can you give me a reference for that? After the atomic bombs were dropped in WWII, they found on X-ray what looked like bone growth. It was that strontium was hanging out in the bones, making it look like bone growth - sort of the way Reclast, Prollia, Tymlos, and other "bone growth" drugs look like new bone. However, once you stop taking these drugs, the "new" bone disappears. Strontium ratelate is banned in Europe. because it can cause cardiac events. To date, I have found no proof that strontium in any form causes bone growth. This website may or may not be allowed by the moderators - It speaks to the use of strontium: https://americanbonehealth.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/BONESENSE-on-Strontium_FINAL.pdf.d. Please let me know if you have something that supports the use of strontium in any form.

Also, please be careful with Silica. You don't need that much of it. If you supplement with silica, be very careful as you can cause kidney damage very easily.

Vitamin K1 works on blood coagulation - not on bones. It is Vitamin K2 (mk4 mk7) that works on bones in humans.

Check your multivitamins and other supplements for copper, manganese, chromium, silica, etc. to see if you are covered. Many vitamins have enough to cover you.

As to boron, if you have osteoporosis, you may not be getting enough from food. Nobody knows how much you need for certain. You could get maybe 3-5 mg by eating a bowl of prunes every day. But if you are taking it for arthritis or fibromyalgia relief - you will need 6-9 mg. The upper limit for boron in the human body is 20 mg/day.

It is best to eat your calcium in food. You do have to allow for things like oxalates which can challenge absorption of calcium. I keep track of how much calcium I got in my food during the day, then only take a supplement for the amount I need to make it to 1,200 mg at the end of the day. Also, bear in mind that you can only absorb 500 mg TOTAL of magnesium and calcium every 4-6 hours.

You should talk to your doctor or nutritionist before you make changes to you diet or before auditing supplements. I have to say that or the moderators will bust me. However, I have not had one doctor yet who knew anything about nutrients and bone loss.

@parrotqueen

I would like to know on what you are basing the claim for Strontium being necessary? Can you give me a reference for that? After the atomic bombs were dropped in WWII, they found on X-ray what looked like bone growth. It was that strontium was hanging out in the bones, making it look like bone growth - sort of the way Reclast, Prollia, Tymlos, and other "bone growth" drugs look like new bone. However, once you stop taking these drugs, the "new" bone disappears. Strontium ratelate is banned in Europe. because it can cause cardiac events. To date, I have found no proof that strontium in any form causes bone growth. This website may or may not be allowed by the moderators - It speaks to the use of strontium: https://americanbonehealth.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/BONESENSE-on-Strontium_FINAL.pdf.d. Please let me know if you have something that supports the use of strontium in any form.

Also, please be careful with Silica. You don't need that much of it. If you supplement with silica, be very careful as you can cause kidney damage very easily.

Vitamin K1 works on blood coagulation - not on bones. It is Vitamin K2 (mk4 mk7) that works on bones in humans.

Check your multivitamins and other supplements for copper, manganese, chromium, silica, etc. to see if you are covered. Many vitamins have enough to cover you.

As to boron, if you have osteoporosis, you may not be getting enough from food. Nobody knows how much you need for certain. You could get maybe 3-5 mg by eating a bowl of prunes every day. But if you are taking it for arthritis or fibromyalgia relief - you will need 6-9 mg. The upper limit for boron in the human body is 20 mg/day.

It is best to eat your calcium in food. You do have to allow for things like oxalates which can challenge absorption of calcium. I keep track of how much calcium I got in my food during the day, then only take a supplement for the amount I need to make it to 1,200 mg at the end of the day. Also, bear in mind that you can only absorb 500 mg TOTAL of magnesium and calcium every 4-6 hours.

You should talk to your doctor or nutritionist before you make changes to you diet or before auditing supplements. I have to say that or the moderators will bust me. However, I have not had one doctor yet who knew anything about nutrients and bone loss.

Jump to this post

Also, once you have mastered all the above, then you need to watch out for the anti-nutrients. Anti-nutrients are forms of the above that keep you from absorbing ANY of the above. I won't go into that unless you all feel ready to hear it.

@jakedduck1

@parrotqueen
Thank you for the olive oil tip. I take two potassium citrate pills for kidney stones and they are fairly large and uncoated. Although I usually just got them down with my other 16 pills I’m going to try your suggestion.
Thanks again.
Jake

Jump to this post

If you have kidney stones, you need to be taking Vitamin K2 (mk4, mk7). Vitamin K2 keeps calcium from going to your kidneys or your arteries - it sends calcium straight to the bones. Here is something you should probably read - I've been allowed to post this in the past, but if it gets taken down, Google Chris Masterjohn The Ultimate Vitamin K2 Resource. https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/blog/2016/12/09/the-ultimate-vitamin-k2-resource

@lioness

another way is put it in applesauce

Jump to this post

Sadly, I do not get applesauce on my no-sugar diet. Green apple (half of a green apple to be exact) is all I can have - and even that is sometimes too much sugar for me. I get hives.

@jakedduck1

@imallears
With the wide variety of food (for the sake of this message we will call it food but I think you know what I’m thinking ) you eat I doubt you’re deficient in any vitamins or minerals or any other nutrients. So, have you consumed any other bazaar concoctions lately that will freak & totally gross me out?
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakeduckk1
I can’t think of anything that might gross you out that’s in my freezer right now except for ground bison whichI like better than regular ground meat. I have eaten my fair share of sushi lately and do like the seaweed that’s made....on the side. I don’t think you like fish but you know all the sushi is raw...my favorites being salmon, spicy tuna and eel. My wine is normal. I made shepherds pie last week (or cottage pie since it wasn’t lamb) and I’m making pecan crusted orange roughy tonight.
But I’ll be sure to update you when I think something is bizarre enough to tell you about.
Oh I had mussels in white wine.... but that’s not gross.

FL Mary

@parrotqueen

Sadly, I do not get applesauce on my no-sugar diet. Green apple (half of a green apple to be exact) is all I can have - and even that is sometimes too much sugar for me. I get hives.

Jump to this post

@parrotqueen

Hi,

I’ve made my own applesauce which is fairly simple and you could use the green apples. I sometimes get a Publix brand of applesauce that just has apples and citric acid..no added sugar...but it doesn’t say what kind of apples.

FL Mary

@parrotqueen

Also, once you have mastered all the above, then you need to watch out for the anti-nutrients. Anti-nutrients are forms of the above that keep you from absorbing ANY of the above. I won't go into that unless you all feel ready to hear it.

Jump to this post

@parrotqueen

You are right about the anti nutrients...food or even other vitamins and meds. It needs a lot of individual research though and I have eliminated some foods from my diet...not drastically...after researching. This is such a time consuming occupation that a lot of people are not up to and there is so much misinformation out there, as you know. We can only do the best we can but I agree that research is so vital if we are to stay ahead of the game. Be mindful what you put into your body.

FL Mary

@imallears

@jakeduckk1
I can’t think of anything that might gross you out that’s in my freezer right now except for ground bison whichI like better than regular ground meat. I have eaten my fair share of sushi lately and do like the seaweed that’s made....on the side. I don’t think you like fish but you know all the sushi is raw...my favorites being salmon, spicy tuna and eel. My wine is normal. I made shepherds pie last week (or cottage pie since it wasn’t lamb) and I’m making pecan crusted orange roughy tonight.
But I’ll be sure to update you when I think something is bizarre enough to tell you about.
Oh I had mussels in white wine.... but that’s not gross.

FL Mary

Jump to this post

@imallears
Sashimi, At least the Little I ate, I didn’t care for it. They didn’t have any flavor and I didn’t like the squishy texture. Maybe the spicy would’ve went down easier although I imagine the texture was probably similar. Hours for seaweed, I have some Japanese friend and the mother and father always used to have it around it was like chewing grass. I felt like a cow chewing it cud. Maybe it comes in other forms but I don’t think I’d be anxious to try it.
I am actually considering getting some wild salmon and probably broiling it, of course by the time I get through with it no telling what it will taste like, It probably won’t taste anything like it’s suppose too.
Muscles are pretty gross, had to kill the flavor with wine. As you well now I can take care of your wine needs although they may not be quite as normal as you’re used too.
Bon appétit,
Jake

@imallears

@lioness
Hmm...yum applesauce. Before I heard about olive oil , if I had trouble with a too large a vitamin ( especially the ones not in a capsule) I filled my mouth up with water , squeezed the tablet into my mouth with my head down, and flushed it down my throat. Head down seemed to work better than tilting the head up which is kind of a intuitive way when we take pills. People with gag reflexes sometimes have a hard time.
Wish I could use a square of dark chocolate lol. Right now I swallow 5-6 vitamins daily all at once..some large , some tiny and one that’s not coated.

@jakeduck1 would say that , if I can eat Octopus, I can swallow anything.

FL Mary

Jump to this post

@imallers You can always melt the dr. chocolate the pill would slip down easy with it Of course cool it off first . haha

@lioness

@imallers You can always melt the dr. chocolate the pill would slip down easy with it Of course cool it off first . haha

Jump to this post

I like that line of thought.....chocolate on just about anything would be a winner for me, Lioness!! LOL!!!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.