Osteoporosis meds: How do they work?

Posted by grandmabubblestwin @grandmabubblestwin, Nov 11, 2016

I've been reading about osteoporosis and this is what I've seen so far: An individual builds bone until about age 30 then they begin to lose bone. Osteo meds do not help you build bone, they may actually prevent the natural bone building process but they do help you retain the bone you have but can make bone brittle. Correct?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Osteoporosis & Bone Health Support Group.

@lioness

@contentandwell Glad your doing research There are to many of those bone builders that the Dr prescribes will cause problems with your jaw and teeth . OUr babies took a lot of calcium from out teeth .

Jump to this post

@lioness. When I was pregnant I was made aware of that so I was proactive and drank a lot of milk and ate cheese. It’s been since then that I’ve had a problem. When I fractured a vertebra when I was in my 50s they immediately assumed I had osteoporosis but a scan showed my bones to much stronger than typical for my age. I just fell very hard on a concrete stairway.
JK

@contentandwell

@lioness. When I was pregnant I was made aware of that so I was proactive and drank a lot of milk and ate cheese. It’s been since then that I’ve had a problem. When I fractured a vertebra when I was in my 50s they immediately assumed I had osteoporosis but a scan showed my bones to much stronger than typical for my age. I just fell very hard on a concrete stairway.
JK

Jump to this post

@lioness. You are right, it did hurt! The next morning I went to Cedars and found out I had broken a vertebra -it was my first time in CA, to visit my son.
The doctor gave me enough meds so I would be able to fly home a couple of days later.
JK

I was recently diagnosed with osteoporosis in the lumbar region, L1-L4. I have refused all the medications and started on a new diet and exercise regimen, thanks in big part to the discussions here. I requested a current CTX test for comparison purposes in 6 months. I can't find what might be a "good" result right now, or is this score only useful as a baseline?

@doverbey

I was recently diagnosed with osteoporosis in the lumbar region, L1-L4. I have refused all the medications and started on a new diet and exercise regimen, thanks in big part to the discussions here. I requested a current CTX test for comparison purposes in 6 months. I can't find what might be a "good" result right now, or is this score only useful as a baseline?

Jump to this post

Hello, @doverbey - sounds like you've taken a constructive approach to your new diagnosis of osteoporosis with the new diet and exercise regimen. Glad to hear the discussions on Mayo Clinic Connect have encouraged you along that path.

Hoping that other members here like @contentandwell @dazlin @lioness @dazlin @maryfrommissouri will have some input for you on what would be a good result of a computed tomography X-Ray (CTX) test right now, as you are trying to get one to have some comparison at 6 months from now.

How are you feeling with the lifestyle changes you've made so far, doverbey? What prompted you to go the non-medication route for your osteoporosis?

@lisalucier

Hello, @doverbey - sounds like you've taken a constructive approach to your new diagnosis of osteoporosis with the new diet and exercise regimen. Glad to hear the discussions on Mayo Clinic Connect have encouraged you along that path.

Hoping that other members here like @contentandwell @dazlin @lioness @dazlin @maryfrommissouri will have some input for you on what would be a good result of a computed tomography X-Ray (CTX) test right now, as you are trying to get one to have some comparison at 6 months from now.

How are you feeling with the lifestyle changes you've made so far, doverbey? What prompted you to go the non-medication route for your osteoporosis?

Jump to this post

@doverbey Id like to add my welcome to you . Thanks Lisa . We are a caring supportive group who try to help if we can . I too have osteoporosis. Even though Im a retired nurse and have seen what some meds can so to people I have gone and take all naturel alternatives as they where here before chemicals . I started about 6 months ago to add more calcium my Dr. told me Caltrate was the best of 1200 mg split the dose to 6 ,6 then Vit D3, also Vit K both 1@both forms of 2 You can do your own research on them. ALso magnesium the bones need minerals that is what you can get a lot from food by some you need a supplement . I take Boron also it is a mineral . ALso like you said exercise not the strenuous kind but a lot of stretching and weight lifting not supper but this is important for osteo. also. This is my regimen .. A lady on here is also on this regiment and will have her bone density done soon Am waiting to hear how hers has helped. Good luck and keep us posted we care here and if you just want to talk we are here to listen also.

@lisalucier

Jump to this post

I am feeling great about the changes I've made to diet, supplements, and exercise. From the hours of research I have now devoted to this, I feel confident that I can at least hold the line on progression. I also consulted with a nutritionist and went to a compounding pharmacist which made the cocktail of supplements SO MUCH easier to figure out. In all the discussions here about which supplements and how to mix and match, I was overwhelmed. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND, if there is an accredited compounding pharmacy near others who are trying to figure this out, to consult with them. That was a very well spent two hours. I had never even heard of this until the nutritionist suggested that pharmacy.

The drugs sounded way too aggressive, fraught with possible side effects, and questionable results. I have a regular MD (and now an Endocrinologist) but I have always felt that one needs a "buyer beware" perspective when it comes to medical advice. I am in excellent health other than this diagnosis. Retrospectively, I can easily see how this happened in terms of my diet (generally good but not good enough) and exercise (not enough and not the right types for osteo).

I am really very grateful for this community which is where I have learned the most.

@doverbey

I am feeling great about the changes I've made to diet, supplements, and exercise. From the hours of research I have now devoted to this, I feel confident that I can at least hold the line on progression. I also consulted with a nutritionist and went to a compounding pharmacist which made the cocktail of supplements SO MUCH easier to figure out. In all the discussions here about which supplements and how to mix and match, I was overwhelmed. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND, if there is an accredited compounding pharmacy near others who are trying to figure this out, to consult with them. That was a very well spent two hours. I had never even heard of this until the nutritionist suggested that pharmacy.

The drugs sounded way too aggressive, fraught with possible side effects, and questionable results. I have a regular MD (and now an Endocrinologist) but I have always felt that one needs a "buyer beware" perspective when it comes to medical advice. I am in excellent health other than this diagnosis. Retrospectively, I can easily see how this happened in terms of my diet (generally good but not good enough) and exercise (not enough and not the right types for osteo).

I am really very grateful for this community which is where I have learned the most.

Jump to this post

@doverbey
Hello,

A Compounding pharmacy is an excellent idea also for any type of RX drug. I use a compounded bone and joint formula along with an anti inflammatory formula. These pharmacies are generally cheaper too. While we all do our research on vitamins I think we may be taking too many. Some may be inhibiting the effectiveness of others. Interactions with foods is a big concern. Foods high in oxalates for example, decrease the absorption of calcium into the body.

It’s a delicate balancing act that practioners devoted to nutrition are still learning about. At least we can all agree that diet and exercise have to be part of our goal. My concern is that so many people I personally know are just popping a plethora of vitamins, usually the least expensive or “house” brand, or relying on Amazon reviews. That money would be better spent buying the right foods.

If everyone were as concerned about good health as the people here on the Mayo forum are, the obesity epidemic in this country would diminish along with a host of the contributing diseases and illnesses.

I’m going off target here. Okay everyone, get off the computer and go take a walk😉

FL Mary

I believe I am in the minority here but how can anyone possibly think that they no more than a doctor who has studied medicine for 9+ years as well as thousands of hours of research? Every medication has possible side effects but they are known. A concoction made by a pharmacist & recommended by a nutritionist (with a combined 4 years of study) without known side effects is playing with your life. 🙂

@jmweissler
Hi,

My husband got his Pharmacy degree back in the 1960s and , at that time, pharmacy school was 5 years. He went on to earn a PhD in marine biology,
however. I knew many pharmacy students and how tough pharmacy school was and not everyone could qualify or stay the course.

Pharmacists today are required to have a PharmD or doctorate in pharmacy equivalent to 6 years of study. Pharmacists have the pharmacological knowledge of drugs that Doctors do not have but Doctors are the ones who prescribe these drugs. Pharmacy school is difficult and challenging. Students are taught Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Physiology, Genetics, Cell structure, Disease Neurobiology, Drug design and Delivery etc. They have an in depth knowledge of the chemistry of drugs that Doctors just don’t have. So many pharmacists go on to medical school They have to pass the same types of test to get into Pharmacy school that potential Doctors do to get into Medical School.

Doctors do research on diseases and illnesses for their patients with knowledge based on years of study and experience .....Pharmacists do research on the chemistry of drugs, how they interact with other drugs, how they are delivered into the system.....thousands of hours and abstracts written on the efficiency of these drugs and their impact on the human body. So yes......I would recommend a knowledgeable educated pharmacist to talk to about any medication. They can assess your health background and issues and advise. Even Nurse Practioners know more about drug chemistry.

So we can’t have one without the other. Pharmacists are not just pill pushers. I think a nutritionist is a good start because food is our best medicine.

FL Mary

Please sign in or register to post a reply.