Osteoporosis meds: How do they work?

Posted by grandmabubblestwin @grandmabubblestwin, Nov 11, 2016

I've been reading about osteoporosis and this is what I've seen so far: An individual builds bone until about age 30 then they begin to lose bone. Osteo meds do not help you build bone, they may actually prevent the natural bone building process but they do help you retain the bone you have but can make bone brittle. Correct?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Osteoporosis & Bone Health Support Group.

@imallears I loved your analysis of a pharmacist versus Dr,s on medicine I always check with my pharmacist if there is a interaction between what I'm on to a new drug the Dr prescribed she catches it and calls the Dr We do need both plus your own research on supplements

@doverbey

I was recently diagnosed with osteoporosis in the lumbar region, L1-L4. I have refused all the medications and started on a new diet and exercise regimen, thanks in big part to the discussions here. I requested a current CTX test for comparison purposes in 6 months. I can't find what might be a "good" result right now, or is this score only useful as a baseline?

Jump to this post

@doverbey @lisalucier Is a CTX test the same as a DEXA scan? If not I am not familiar with what it is. If you are having a second DEXA I know you should try to have it on the same machine because the machines can vary, even at the same facility.

I did have osteopenia but it has progressed to osteoporosis and will probably continue to get worse due to having to take prednisone, maybe for the rest of my life. With that being a large part of my problem, I do not think that dietary changes would be enough to compensate so I plan to start on one of the medications after April. Every drug has side effects and I have been told that the risk of them from the osteoporosis drugs is around 1 in 10,000. I know many women on these drugs who have had no problems at all.
For DEXA scans I have read that bone rebuilding is a very slow process so you would not see much improvement in six months, you need to wait a year.
What do your doctors think about you attacking the problem with just diet modifications? Do they feel that will be sufficient to keep your osteoporosis from progressing?
Strength building exercises are very important too of course. I generally go to the gym at my health club three times a week, alternating with the pool.
JK

@jmweissler

I believe I am in the minority here but how can anyone possibly think that they no more than a doctor who has studied medicine for 9+ years as well as thousands of hours of research? Every medication has possible side effects but they are known. A concoction made by a pharmacist & recommended by a nutritionist (with a combined 4 years of study) without known side effects is playing with your life. 🙂

Jump to this post

Oh My Aching Back.... I, for one, know that I am more informed than my doctors about osteoporosis as well as my gut, and my doctors tell me this all the time! Almost all the doctors know to do is prescribe bisphosphonates and other "bone building" drugs - but they don't understand how they work. And they really don't know about nutrition. I have been to countless doctors about osteoporosis - endocrinologists, internists, spine surgeons - you name it, I've been there. There IS a lot to learn about nutrition - I have always been a student of how the human body works and nutrition, and I have a graduate degree in psychology and social work. I worked decades with scientists and medical doctors, even the chief of surgery in a big-city teaching hospital. I have made a point to study the bones in our bodies and nutrition, and I also healed my own gut. I read medical journals like most people read romance novels. Five years ago I was dying - literally dying - because of drugs I was prescribed and the horrible side effects they caused me. I still have to take those drugs, but I had to take myself completely off sugar and heal my gut. I begged my doctors to help me and got no help, and this caused me to be house-bound for over three years, suffering in the worst pain. I got so sick I got to the point of considering suicide. At the last minute, I had an epiphany that paid off. I knew what was wrong with my body, and that's when I went off sugar and changed my life. I developed candida overgrowth because of a low-dose steroid I have to take for adrenal insufficiency. My doctors are in awe of me - and now they take notes when I come in. Since going off sugar, the precancerous cells in my gut are gone! This is not the first time I had to figure out what was wrong with my body and turn things around. Doctors have HUGE caseloads - there is NO WAY they can stay on top of all the research being done in multiple systems in the body as well as nutrition. I have posted this website before, but here it is again: http://www.ConsumerLab.com. ConsumerLab tests supplements to be sure they are what they say they are, they open in the body, and they are the strength they say they are. Twice I have found that something I am taking has too much lead in it thanks to ConsumerLab.com. They also post so many medical journal submissions about various vitamins, minerals, and herbs. I have studied the human body for decades, and I have concentrated on osteoporosis almost exclusively for the past two or three years. One thing no doctor will tell you that will help your body tremendously is to stop eating all forms of sugar. Sugar causes inflammation and inflammation causes disease. Sugar is very bad for your bones. Certain nutrients and minerals are necessary for bone growth and these are pretty much undisputed: Calcium, magnesium, potassium, boron, Vitamin D3, Vitamin K2 (mk4 mk7). Probiotics, a good vitamin C (not ascorbic acid), a good multivitamin, B complex, Omega 3 also help. Every time you eat, you are making a choice to either support your body or hurt your body. Of course you should check with your doctor before you change anything. Talk to a nutritionist. A good functional doctor and a good nutritionist will help you a lot. I also take advantage of a great support group on Facebook (the group is called Osteoporosis Natural Remedies). My bookshelf is nearly collapsing under the weight of all the nutrition books and medical books. My pharmacist and doctors have a complete list of everything I am taking. All of this information is out there if you choose to become informed. I realize it is not for everyone. I have very complex medical issues, and my quality of life has been greatly improved since I took over. I run everything by my infectious disease doctor who is the best doctor I have ever found. She knows a lot about supplements and medicines. When I was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis, a nurse once tried to hang a bag of magnesium for IV - this is death to a person with MG. You need to. become informed. As always, please run everything by your doctor before making changes. I'm not even going to bring up anti-nutrients in this post.

@parrotqueen

Oh My Aching Back.... I, for one, know that I am more informed than my doctors about osteoporosis as well as my gut, and my doctors tell me this all the time! Almost all the doctors know to do is prescribe bisphosphonates and other "bone building" drugs - but they don't understand how they work. And they really don't know about nutrition. I have been to countless doctors about osteoporosis - endocrinologists, internists, spine surgeons - you name it, I've been there. There IS a lot to learn about nutrition - I have always been a student of how the human body works and nutrition, and I have a graduate degree in psychology and social work. I worked decades with scientists and medical doctors, even the chief of surgery in a big-city teaching hospital. I have made a point to study the bones in our bodies and nutrition, and I also healed my own gut. I read medical journals like most people read romance novels. Five years ago I was dying - literally dying - because of drugs I was prescribed and the horrible side effects they caused me. I still have to take those drugs, but I had to take myself completely off sugar and heal my gut. I begged my doctors to help me and got no help, and this caused me to be house-bound for over three years, suffering in the worst pain. I got so sick I got to the point of considering suicide. At the last minute, I had an epiphany that paid off. I knew what was wrong with my body, and that's when I went off sugar and changed my life. I developed candida overgrowth because of a low-dose steroid I have to take for adrenal insufficiency. My doctors are in awe of me - and now they take notes when I come in. Since going off sugar, the precancerous cells in my gut are gone! This is not the first time I had to figure out what was wrong with my body and turn things around. Doctors have HUGE caseloads - there is NO WAY they can stay on top of all the research being done in multiple systems in the body as well as nutrition. I have posted this website before, but here it is again: http://www.ConsumerLab.com. ConsumerLab tests supplements to be sure they are what they say they are, they open in the body, and they are the strength they say they are. Twice I have found that something I am taking has too much lead in it thanks to ConsumerLab.com. They also post so many medical journal submissions about various vitamins, minerals, and herbs. I have studied the human body for decades, and I have concentrated on osteoporosis almost exclusively for the past two or three years. One thing no doctor will tell you that will help your body tremendously is to stop eating all forms of sugar. Sugar causes inflammation and inflammation causes disease. Sugar is very bad for your bones. Certain nutrients and minerals are necessary for bone growth and these are pretty much undisputed: Calcium, magnesium, potassium, boron, Vitamin D3, Vitamin K2 (mk4 mk7). Probiotics, a good vitamin C (not ascorbic acid), a good multivitamin, B complex, Omega 3 also help. Every time you eat, you are making a choice to either support your body or hurt your body. Of course you should check with your doctor before you change anything. Talk to a nutritionist. A good functional doctor and a good nutritionist will help you a lot. I also take advantage of a great support group on Facebook (the group is called Osteoporosis Natural Remedies). My bookshelf is nearly collapsing under the weight of all the nutrition books and medical books. My pharmacist and doctors have a complete list of everything I am taking. All of this information is out there if you choose to become informed. I realize it is not for everyone. I have very complex medical issues, and my quality of life has been greatly improved since I took over. I run everything by my infectious disease doctor who is the best doctor I have ever found. She knows a lot about supplements and medicines. When I was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis, a nurse once tried to hang a bag of magnesium for IV - this is death to a person with MG. You need to. become informed. As always, please run everything by your doctor before making changes. I'm not even going to bring up anti-nutrients in this post.

Jump to this post

Great information! Thank you!

@parrotqueen

Jump to this post

Are you currently taking a bone building drug?

@contentandwell

@doverbey @lisalucier Is a CTX test the same as a DEXA scan? If not I am not familiar with what it is. If you are having a second DEXA I know you should try to have it on the same machine because the machines can vary, even at the same facility.

I did have osteopenia but it has progressed to osteoporosis and will probably continue to get worse due to having to take prednisone, maybe for the rest of my life. With that being a large part of my problem, I do not think that dietary changes would be enough to compensate so I plan to start on one of the medications after April. Every drug has side effects and I have been told that the risk of them from the osteoporosis drugs is around 1 in 10,000. I know many women on these drugs who have had no problems at all.
For DEXA scans I have read that bone rebuilding is a very slow process so you would not see much improvement in six months, you need to wait a year.
What do your doctors think about you attacking the problem with just diet modifications? Do they feel that will be sufficient to keep your osteoporosis from progressing?
Strength building exercises are very important too of course. I generally go to the gym at my health club three times a week, alternating with the pool.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell

@contentandwell CTX is a blood test used for measuring bone formation and resorption (https://www.mayocliniclabs.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/83175) My understanding is that it's often used to measure effectiveness of the osteo drugs without waiting so long before a DEXA might show what's happening. That's my intention in getting the first one as a baseline and then check it again in 6 months to see if there is any difference in those results. And then pay for another DEXA in a year (since my insurance will only pay every two years).

@doverbey

@contentandwell CTX is a blood test used for measuring bone formation and resorption (https://www.mayocliniclabs.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/83175) My understanding is that it's often used to measure effectiveness of the osteo drugs without waiting so long before a DEXA might show what's happening. That's my intention in getting the first one as a baseline and then check it again in 6 months to see if there is any difference in those results. And then pay for another DEXA in a year (since my insurance will only pay every two years).

Jump to this post

@doverbey, I don't think I have welcomed you to Connect yet. So.....let's start with "Hi there." I am very interested in your introduction to the manner in which we can get an idea of how our selected medication is performing. CTX....and the idea of formation and resorption are important. Thank you.
May you find some joy today.
Chris

@doverbey

Jump to this post

@doverbey in your case it will be checking the effectiveness of your diet though, right? That should be interesting. I wonder if many doctors do it since I’ve not heard of it before.
Are you taking supplements, and which vitamins? I e seen boron recommended but the pharmacy at Mass General Hospital told me that can be toxic at some levels so it’s not something they recommend at all.
JK

@contentandwell

@doverbey in your case it will be checking the effectiveness of your diet though, right? That should be interesting. I wonder if many doctors do it since I’ve not heard of it before.
Are you taking supplements, and which vitamins? I e seen boron recommended but the pharmacy at Mass General Hospital told me that can be toxic at some levels so it’s not something they recommend at all.
JK

Jump to this post

People post their improved DEXA scan scores all the time on the Facebook Osteoporosis Natural Remedies group! A lady posted a greatly improved DEXA scan score over the weekend - and all she did was change her diet, take a few supplements, and exercised once a week. I will be posting my score when I do my test in April or so. If you look for that group on Facebook - be aware there is another similar group called Osteoporosis Natural and Rx Remedies (or something to that effect). You will know you are at the group I'm in if you see a cup of tea as the main photo. I encourage people to check that group out because sometimes people post amazing things there - videos, medical journal submissions, etc. There is a nutritionist that hangs out. Lots of good information.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.