Osteoporosis meds: How do they work?

Posted by grandmabubblestwin @grandmabubblestwin, Nov 11, 2016

I've been reading about osteoporosis and this is what I've seen so far: An individual builds bone until about age 30 then they begin to lose bone. Osteo meds do not help you build bone, they may actually prevent the natural bone building process but they do help you retain the bone you have but can make bone brittle. Correct?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Osteoporosis & Bone Health Support Group.

Forteo, Tymlos and Evenity build bone.

@windyshores

Forteo, Tymlos and Evenity build bone.

Jump to this post

Good Afternoon, what does reclast do for us? Also Sunday night the tortoise will begin five clicks using a new pen. Stay tuned. How is 667 going? KLH

@kilh

Good Afternoon, what does reclast do for us? Also Sunday night the tortoise will begin five clicks using a new pen. Stay tuned. How is 667 going? KLH

Jump to this post

667 is going well....I skipped today because I had my third Pfizer. Yesterday I did 5 in preparation and felt sick than on 6 so it seems it is no longer even dependent on dose. It just varies from day to day. Glad you are on 5! That is enough to help a lot and 6 is even better. My doc says 6 is a great help.

@windyshores

667 is going well....I skipped today because I had my third Pfizer. Yesterday I did 5 in preparation and felt sick than on 6 so it seems it is no longer even dependent on dose. It just varies from day to day. Glad you are on 5! That is enough to help a lot and 6 is even better. My doc says 6 is a great help.

Jump to this post

We had our third jab Friday at 1300. This is the first one that my arm is really sore and still is from my shoulder down. It is sore to the touch. The other half had no problem. Had my labs drawn this past week my Ca and VB25 and everything else is fine. My PA said looks good and keep up the good work. Happy I am going to five starting Sunday night for two weeks. My docs are happy with this two-week interval. So the tortoise shall move at a slow pace. The hare needs to keep a steady pace and stay ahead. But not feel sick. Stay well and I will check in on you next week.

@artscaping

Good afternoon @delo6. Welcome to Connect. You are asking a good question about osteoporosis and I see that you too are confused by the medications, their effectiveness, and the potential side effects. The purpose of Connect, by the way, is to provide a place to share concerns and questions. All posts are read by moderators so that you can trust the authenticity of the words.

So, let me start by telling you that as soon as I began Boniva, one of many bisphosphonates, I had a serious negative reaction and had to stop immediately. I then spent several months researching the bone-building
options, Foreo and Tymlos. Since that time Evenity has been added as an option. I chose Tymlos and had daily injections for two years without any side effects. I was able to become stable or slightly improved when it was time for proof from a Dexascan.

Recently, I "graduated" to Prolia to try to make sure that the new bone stayed in place. Prolia is the only non-bisphosphonate for the stabilizing efforts after building bone. I will have my second injection this month and once again there have been no negative side effects.

I wish you well in your decision-making process. It is not easy. Are you seeing an endocrinologist right now?

May you be free of suffering and the causes of suffering.
Chris

Jump to this post

Thank you for the email. No, I did not see an endocrinologist. I went to an Integrated medicine doctor for another health issue and she wanted me to take bone density scan. She said my t-score was at a high risk for fracture and she wanted me to take Prolia. After reading about it and saw it advertised on tv I didn't want to take it. I don't know if what I read would refer to everyone but it seems if you take it and try to get off of it, you are likely to have a fracture. That defeats the purpose. I ordered a hip protect to wear.
I am going to a naturopath doctor soon as I finish all the paper work that he want from me. He wants a history seems to me.
Thank you for your concern and I wish you the best,.

@kilh

Jump to this post

I took Reclast and now some dental/facial surgeons will not touch me because of it. I need implants but they said Reclast destroyed bone in my mouth and the chances of an implant failing is much higher because of the Reclast. I am not a doctor or dentist but do trust my primary doctor completely. She didn't know about the dental implications of using Reclast.

@tmtm4

I took Reclast and now some dental/facial surgeons will not touch me because of it. I need implants but they said Reclast destroyed bone in my mouth and the chances of an implant failing is much higher because of the Reclast. I am not a doctor or dentist but do trust my primary doctor completely. She didn't know about the dental implications of using Reclast.

Jump to this post

If I read this correctly you say your physician was not aware of “dental implications”?

This is disturbing on several levels …

@butterflywings

If I read this correctly you say your physician was not aware of “dental implications”?

This is disturbing on several levels …

Jump to this post

Doctors cannot know everything! I did not have any dental issues when I first started the Reclast. She was trying to save my back as I was in pretty poor shape. My shoulder surgeon kept saying you have thin bones. I had no idea what he meant. I could be mad at him for not contacting my primary then. He has done my last four shoulder replacements/now Reverses. I could be mad at everyone since everyone makes mistakes. I trust my primary, my shoulder surgeon, my foot surgeon, and my Rheumatologist.
I just want help deciding what to do going forward!

I’m sorry if my comment upset you but apparently I did read it correctly.

We are all in this experimental situation because of what our doctors DON’T KNOW. Your doctors do not need you to defend them - they should know all there is to know about a medication they are prescribing for you. Therein lies the problem, they don’t.

Going forward, you will find good information and support here. My hope is you find what you need and disregard the comments and information not important to you.

@butterflywings

I’m sorry if my comment upset you but apparently I did read it correctly.

We are all in this experimental situation because of what our doctors DON’T KNOW. Your doctors do not need you to defend them - they should know all there is to know about a medication they are prescribing for you. Therein lies the problem, they don’t.

Going forward, you will find good information and support here. My hope is you find what you need and disregard the comments and information not important to you.

Jump to this post

Thank you. That was a kind email!
I think I came on too strong & I am the one who should apologize. We are all in the same boat so if you find out anything more, please keep me updated. I am so tired of hurting; scared for my future.
Take care.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.