Osteoporosis meds: How do they work?

Posted by grandmabubblestwin @grandmabubblestwin, Nov 11, 2016

I've been reading about osteoporosis and this is what I've seen so far: An individual builds bone until about age 30 then they begin to lose bone. Osteo meds do not help you build bone, they may actually prevent the natural bone building process but they do help you retain the bone you have but can make bone brittle. Correct?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Osteoporosis & Bone Health Support Group.

@tmtm4

Thank you. That was a kind email!
I think I came on too strong & I am the one who should apologize. We are all in the same boat so if you find out anything more, please keep me updated. I am so tired of hurting; scared for my future.
Take care.

Jump to this post

No need to apologize, I recognize your pain and know full well what we are up against. You too please share any new information you think would be helpful.

The "dental implications" of Reclast are very well-known so I wonder if there was a misunderstanding.

@tmtm4

I took Reclast and now some dental/facial surgeons will not touch me because of it. I need implants but they said Reclast destroyed bone in my mouth and the chances of an implant failing is much higher because of the Reclast. I am not a doctor or dentist but do trust my primary doctor completely. She didn't know about the dental implications of using Reclast.

Jump to this post

I can guarantee that my family physician wouldnt have a clue about osteoporosis meds (in this case Reclast) and dental issues.
The endocrinologist does.

@tmtm4

I took Reclast and now some dental/facial surgeons will not touch me because of it. I need implants but they said Reclast destroyed bone in my mouth and the chances of an implant failing is much higher because of the Reclast. I am not a doctor or dentist but do trust my primary doctor completely. She didn't know about the dental implications of using Reclast.

Jump to this post

I had cadaver bone inserted in my gums cause my gums were not thick enough. $$$$

@jaleen

Posted by Jaleen:
Before you go on Prolia, I suggest that you log in on: "Center for Health Journalism" and click on "Prolia: Another wonder drug that wasn't".
I've spent countless hours studying Prolia and every time that I re-examined this medication, I came to the conclusion that, in spite of my severe osteoporosis (at -3.5), the risks of taking this drug far outweigh any promised benefits. I'm eating right, taking calcium and Vitamin D and K along with my regular meds, pole-walking and doing floor exercises. At 85, I feel great and see no reason to change what I am doing. To all persons in the Mayo Clinic chat room, I'd like to say - DO YOUR HOMEWORK ON THIS AND ANY OTHER MEDS THAT PROMISE TO STRENGTHEN YOUR BONES! I've read dozens of user reviews, and for every review that reported improved dexa-scan scores and no side effects, there are at least 5 others who reported that since taking this drug, their lives have been turned upside down with pain and other bad reactions and they warn others on the dangers of this drug! I am glad that, from the start, I decided to say "no" to Prolia or any other drug (such as Forteo) that purports to build bone density. For me, it was the right decision.

Jump to this post

Hi. Thank you for your experience on this. I have been told again and again that I need to take drugs for my -4.3 DEXA scan results. But after having experienced side effects, simply taking Boniva for osteopenia ( couldn’t walk for a week after just one pill) I am loathe to take foteo for two years then be stuck for the rest of my life taking prolia. Forteo doesn’t sound so bad from what I’m reading, however, I am currently not on any drugs at all at the age of 70. And I don’t want to and be stuck for the rest of my life on drugs with side effects. So can you tell me how you’re doing after all this time on your regimen?

@jabjune

Hi. Thank you for your experience on this. I have been told again and again that I need to take drugs for my -4.3 DEXA scan results. But after having experienced side effects, simply taking Boniva for osteopenia ( couldn’t walk for a week after just one pill) I am loathe to take foteo for two years then be stuck for the rest of my life taking prolia. Forteo doesn’t sound so bad from what I’m reading, however, I am currently not on any drugs at all at the age of 70. And I don’t want to and be stuck for the rest of my life on drugs with side effects. So can you tell me how you’re doing after all this time on your regimen?

Jump to this post

@jabjune that is a pretty serious DEXA score as you know. Was that spine or hip?

If you are nervous you could try Tymlos which is very similar to Forteo but has an adjustable dosing pen so you can start low and ramp up if you are nervous.

Many seem to do fine with Evenity which has been said to "turbocharge" growth. I had side effects for 4 days and will be fine until my next injection. I did Evenity after Tymlos to get more progress but you can't do it the other way around.

Many of us are "locking in" gains with Reclast, an infused bisphosphonate that may allow us to stop meds or take med breaks, unlike Prolia.

That is correct...try to keep your bones from becoming brittle is an aging process...like trying to keep your hair from turning gray..companies make billions of dollars promising us to make our bones better..I truly think they cannot....just my opinion...

Bubbles, it is my understanding from reading “ Good Bones”, that Forteo, Tymlos and Evenity build bone.

@windyshores

@jabjune that is a pretty serious DEXA score as you know. Was that spine or hip?

If you are nervous you could try Tymlos which is very similar to Forteo but has an adjustable dosing pen so you can start low and ramp up if you are nervous.

Many seem to do fine with Evenity which has been said to "turbocharge" growth. I had side effects for 4 days and will be fine until my next injection. I did Evenity after Tymlos to get more progress but you can't do it the other way around.

Many of us are "locking in" gains with Reclast, an infused bisphosphonate that may allow us to stop meds or take med breaks, unlike Prolia.

Jump to this post

So glad to hear you only had 4 days of side effects. Coming up on my 10th month shots this week, and no noticeable major issues. Hope you have a similar experience with your series. Have an appt. with doc next month to talk about what is next. Really concerned about the timing of it all.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.