Osteoporosis meds: How do they work?

Posted by grandmabubblestwin @grandmabubblestwin, Nov 11, 2016

I've been reading about osteoporosis and this is what I've seen so far: An individual builds bone until about age 30 then they begin to lose bone. Osteo meds do not help you build bone, they may actually prevent the natural bone building process but they do help you retain the bone you have but can make bone brittle. Correct?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Osteoporosis & Bone Health Support Group.

@lioness

@contentandwell I'm hoping I can get them with my Medicare insurance I have . If not I,ll look for 4% patches. I think you can put them on anywhere you are hurting. In fact I remember seeing something on T.V. someone used it for the hip. I just started taking Bio-cell supplement its collagen with hyaluronic acid in it I had this shot in 2013 in my thumbs as I have bone.on bone. It really did help haven't need a shot yet. . They just came out with this so am going to try it I know it wont work right away but over time hopefully .

Jump to this post

Thanks, @lioness I will look into them. I would prefer that to having to have another cortisone shot. Thanks too for including my name in responses. When I sometimes have to go through and do some deletions due to such a backlog it helps to alert me that a message is a response to me.
JK

@contentandwell

Thanks, @lioness I will look into them. I would prefer that to having to have another cortisone shot. Thanks too for including my name in responses. When I sometimes have to go through and do some deletions due to such a backlog it helps to alert me that a message is a response to me.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell Your welcome I too have found that including all parties is a good way to go when the response applies effects both TI like the patches and the Lidocaine last along time but the directions say replace it every 12 hours or leave it off for awhile . IT,ll tell you on package . So far all the cortisone is holding and its been 5 days now I'm on this new supplement .

@betterbones

Your question mentioned that some meds do not help you build bone. That used to be true-- until a few years ago, the meds, bisphosphonates and others, slowed the bone turnover. But newer ones that work like a hormone we have, PTH, have resulted in stronger bones. These types of meds have to be injected-- Forteo and Tymlos. Many people on this chatgroup have had bad experiences with meds, but people can have different reactions. I took Fosamax for 5 years without any bad effects. My bone density stabilized then even went up a bit. But when density started down again, my doctor (an endocrinologist) recommended Tymlos, because it has been shown to increase density in the spine. I wanted to build on what I have, not wait until I lose more. I walk on a treadmill for an hour every day and usually lift weights 2-3 times a week-- and have for 8 years, and try to get my calcium from diet, but with exercise and calcium and Vit D I still developed osteoporosis in my spine. I did not like the idea of self injecting but I tried it, and have been on Tymlos for over 6 months, with no side effects after the first week or so as I was getting used to it. Until I have a follow up bone scan, I will not know if it is increasing my density or not. But from this one person's experience, I can say that not everyone will have muscle pain etc. I understand people not wanting to use meds, but for me the natural process of bone loss in the spine is something I wanted to avoid if I could. People's bodies are different, and risks are different. Good luck with whatever decision you make. Exercise is certainly helpful.

Jump to this post

I was recently diagnosed - at 69 - with spinal osteoporosis. (I have had scoliosis since adolescence and osteopenia for many years. No pain, but some stiffness. I avoid standing....was on bisphosphonates in my 50s, but femoral hip score was/is not bad, so new doc advised discontinuation of meds.)
...am seeing an endocrinologist Tuesday and will read relevant med. journal abstracts on medications before then.
...will ask about P.T. I have been doing water exercise, stationary bicycle, and other gym machines on low settings....stopped treadmill because of ankle problem, but could go back now....don’t know how much weight bearing exercise is actually good for spine....will get 2nd opinion before taking meds.
How are you doing with medication, etc.? There is a lot more research needed, so it’s good to share info. Thanks! Lisa

@mslw

I was recently diagnosed - at 69 - with spinal osteoporosis. (I have had scoliosis since adolescence and osteopenia for many years. No pain, but some stiffness. I avoid standing....was on bisphosphonates in my 50s, but femoral hip score was/is not bad, so new doc advised discontinuation of meds.)
...am seeing an endocrinologist Tuesday and will read relevant med. journal abstracts on medications before then.
...will ask about P.T. I have been doing water exercise, stationary bicycle, and other gym machines on low settings....stopped treadmill because of ankle problem, but could go back now....don’t know how much weight bearing exercise is actually good for spine....will get 2nd opinion before taking meds.
How are you doing with medication, etc.? There is a lot more research needed, so it’s good to share info. Thanks! Lisa

Jump to this post

@mslw It sounds as if we are similar points, although I never had scoliosis. I was diagnosed with osteopenia in January 2014 and recently had another DEXA scan and have full-blown, somewhat severe osteoporosis so I am trying to get as informed as possible and to do what will be most helpful.
I hope you will post what the endo says and prescribes -- medications, PT, etc. I too generally do water exercise, recumbent bike and go to the gym. I prefer the elliptical to the treadmill. I have been recovering from a fractured femur fracture so hopefully I will be able to get back to the health club with the water exercises and gym this week. I will be seeing a rheumatologist about my osteoporosis but the earliest I can get is December. I know that some people go to endocrinologists for osteoporosis and some go to rheumatologists and wonder if the two different specialities take different approaches.
From the research I have read so far, and the input I have gotten on Connect, I think Tymlos may be the best medication for me but I won't know until I have the appointment in December.
JK

@jaleen

I came to the same conclusion as you, but based on user comments on a variety of sites, including Mayo Clinic Connect. I have not seen any reports in the media that can be called "bad reports" - the ones I've read have all said that more women with osteoporosis should be taking these drugs. Could you please tell me where you have seen these "bad reports" types of stories?

Jump to this post

I agree. I am trying to decide if I should take fosomax. And the literature I read does list negatives— a jaw problem, atypical fracture of femur, and brittle bones. But they are very small percentages of the whole. They scare me, but if fosomax works for 90percent or more, it may be worth it. Cancer scares me, and it is also a side effect, but again, very small. Now my doc says a holiday is needed— take it for 5 years, take 3 to 5 off, and check bone density. I understand it continues to work for years after, building bones. I want to believe it, but it does scare me a bit.

Hi and know you are not alone with concerns. My dentist shared an article about the warnings and mentioned there is a half life with these drugs. Depending on the drug research does no know what the half life may be. He also mentioned that he has had patients where it that have taken years to heal a dental issue caused by these drugs. My question is if a patients body does not work with the drug what is the antidote? So it is a very good idea you continue to ask questions and do research. Have you read any reports from Canada Medical Society? There is also a European study that may be interesting to read up on about osteoclast drugs and challenges discovered caused by the drugs. Keep up your great research and advocacy for your body.
Best Linda

@maryfrommissouri

I agree. I am trying to decide if I should take fosomax. And the literature I read does list negatives— a jaw problem, atypical fracture of femur, and brittle bones. But they are very small percentages of the whole. They scare me, but if fosomax works for 90percent or more, it may be worth it. Cancer scares me, and it is also a side effect, but again, very small. Now my doc says a holiday is needed— take it for 5 years, take 3 to 5 off, and check bone density. I understand it continues to work for years after, building bones. I want to believe it, but it does scare me a bit.

Jump to this post

I was diagnosed about 10 years ago with osteoporosis and I was prescribed Fosamax. I stopped taking it after a while because I was afraid of the side effects. My DEXA scans have gotten worse since then but I still refused Fosamax or any other medications for this. About 3 days ago I had a regular appointment with my Primary Doctor and she brought up this issue (she knows I don't take the medication). We did discussed all the Pros and Cons at length and she seemed very concerned that I am not taking medication for Osteoarthritis. I Also have RA and take medications for this. I think maybe I'll give Fosamax a try and get my DEXA scan repeated to see what happens.

@maryfrommissouri

Jump to this post

@maryfrommissouri Fosomax builds bone? I thought it just maintained them and that Tymlos and Forteo were the only two that built bones. I definitely will be needing a bone-building medication so I will have to look into that one too. I have a dental hygiene appointment in a week or two, I plan to ask there what they have for input.
JK

@contentandwell

@maryfrommissouri Fosomax builds bone? I thought it just maintained them and that Tymlos and Forteo were the only two that built bones. I definitely will be needing a bone-building medication so I will have to look into that one too. I have a dental hygiene appointment in a week or two, I plan to ask there what they have for input.
JK

Jump to this post

I had a lower back molar that possibly needed to be extracted. My dentist refused to remove the tooth once she knew I had taken bone meds. She felt the risk of jaw fracture wasn't worth removing the tooth, and suggested a second opinion, which i did not pursue...the tooth doesn't cause any real problem. At the time, i had already stopped the meds for at least 1 yr but my drs have told me, they stay in the system up to 4 yrs. Actonel had caused me uncomfortable body aches which had me limping after 15 of walking. I'm trying to eat bone healthy...i have not had another bone density done yet.

@contentandwell

JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell Glad your doing research There are to many of those bone builders that the Dr prescribes will cause problems with your jaw and teeth . OUr babies took a lot of calcium from out teeth .

Please sign in or register to post a reply.