Osteoporosis meds: How do they work?

Posted by grandmabubblestwin @grandmabubblestwin, Nov 11, 2016

I've been reading about osteoporosis and this is what I've seen so far: An individual builds bone until about age 30 then they begin to lose bone. Osteo meds do not help you build bone, they may actually prevent the natural bone building process but they do help you retain the bone you have but can make bone brittle. Correct?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Osteoporosis & Bone Health Support Group.

@evysar26

Thank you for your input @dkapustin . That is exactly what my Primary care MD told me..that the benefits of having Prolia injections putweighs the bad side effects considering I have a fractured spine already and a finding of severe osteoporosis.

I am looking to more comments regarding these treatments.

Thank you very much!!!

Jump to this post

thank you, i surely will, after clearance from my doctor.

I am now on one of the self-injectable bone builders. For me avoiding the risk of developing a weak spine that can get compression fractures, was worth the risk of the medication, which in studies I read did have a good potential of increasing density in the spine. Osteoporosis, according to my endocrinologist and most of what I have read, is a disease. Even if you take vitamins and exercise, your bones may still lose density. When I learned in my early 50's that I had osteoporosis in spine and osteopenia elsewhere, I started walking for an hour at least 4 days a week, and lifting weights on days I did not walk. I used bisphosphantes for a few years. My density did increase, but then began to fall. People's situations and their balancing of risks are different. Vitamin D is recommended in nearly everything I read; testing levels of D seems to be part of the standard protocol for osteo. My D level is normal, but I still take some Vitamin D supplements. I try to get all necessary calcium from food sources, which may help with absorption. I nonetheless decided to try the bone builder recommended by my physician to increase some density before I lose more. I have no other significant medical issues and want to be able to stay active. For me, the most difficult part of this pharmaceutical was getting insurance company pre-approval. To qualify, you have to have tried other therapy, and to have at least -2.5. Bone-builders are not something you try if your condition does not warrant it. Anyway, my point is that a good endocrinologist will evaluate your factors with you. Good luck whatever decision you reach.

I have been diagnosed with severe osteo of the spine and mild in the hips. Have been advised to begin either Forteo or Tymlos. I have read some horrific side effects and am concerned. Anyone have any of the side effects or had a good experience? I am still researching. Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to Connect @beckyc,

I moved your discussion and combined it with this existing discussion as I thought it would be beneficial for you to be introduced to the many members who have discussed their experiences with osteoporosis and the various treatments.
If you click on VIEW & REPLY in your email notification, you will see the whole discussion and can join in, meet, and participate with other members talking about their or their loved ones' experiences.

Here's some more information about Forteo and Tymlos:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/osteoporosis/in-depth/osteoporosis-treatment/art-20046869

You might also wish to view these discussions on Connect where
– Tymlos, daily injectable https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/tymlos-daily-injectable/
– Prolia treatment for osteoporosis https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/prolix-treatment-for-osteoporosis/
– Treating osteoperosis https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/hi-im-new-to-the-site-and-am-interested-in-treating-osteoperosis/

@beckyc, may I ask what concerns you the most about these medications?

I have read other review of severe pain, hair loss, teeth falling out fatigue so severe they couldn’t work, and after that some had no improvement after the two years. I am hoping these are very rare so am still researching. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Beckyc

@beckyc

I have been diagnosed with severe osteo of the spine and mild in the hips. Have been advised to begin either Forteo or Tymlos. I have read some horrific side effects and am concerned. Anyone have any of the side effects or had a good experience? I am still researching. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jump to this post

No Becky it was just one pill a month.....with the weekly pill I had pain and it would just get better on the Thursday and I would be due for the next pill on Saturday......I,was,told,at the time that I could have a yearly injection....this I didn't try.....Beryl

@beckyc

Jump to this post

Thank you. I am being advised to take either Forteo or Tymlos which is an injectable daily for two years. Still researching.

@beckyc

Jump to this post

Well seems like you need to do something so research away I am sure you will feel more in control of things that way....Beryl

First let me say I have not read this entire thread and I’m no expert so forgive me if repeat things.
I do have Osteopenia and I hope not Osteoporosis from 50+ years of taking Anticonvulsants. I have an appointment for a Dexa scan which I hope doesn’t show Osteoporosis.
I have read about doctors ordering Medications of one kind or another due to Osteoporosis but have yet to read about testing that was done prior to getting the prescriptions. But your vit D level should be between 50-60. Also if you live north of Atlanta Ga don’t expect to get any vitamin D from the sun. You need to be at a low latitude. If your taking calcium you should also take an equal amount of magnesium. You should eat a healthy diet and take in 1200mg of calcium 700 in your diet and 500 as a supplement. There are approximately 20 or more vitamins needed. Also exercise is important like walking or weight bearing exercises. Also some medications can deplete Calcium. Calcium alone won’t do to trick. Bone health is complex and more than I understand.

@beckyc

I have read other review of severe pain, hair loss, teeth falling out fatigue so severe they couldn’t work, and after that some had no improvement after the two years. I am hoping these are very rare so am still researching. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Beckyc

Jump to this post

@beckyc I have Osteopenia but do eat alot of green foods ,Romaine lettuce Kale Spiniach all these have alot of calcium in them your food is most important in diseases ,exercise,rest and spring water My girlfriend has osteoporosis really bad and scoliosis this is what her Dr told her plus some weight bearing ,swimming is good.She had injections of Prolia almost killed her and Fosemax had dental problems She takes 5000 mg Vi t D3 vi t K,a good vit.mineral pill like Centrum and is doing great after starting her regimen.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.