Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group

Welcome to the Neuropathy group.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet other people who are dealing with neuropathy. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with neuropathy, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by volunteer patient Mentor John (@johnbishop) and fellow members when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.
Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What concerns would you like to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

Hello--always find good information from our group. Can someone recommend a well-padded sneaker? My peripheral neuropathy is worse in my feet. Thank you.

@frankie7

Hello--always find good information from our group. Can someone recommend a well-padded sneaker? My peripheral neuropathy is worse in my feet. Thank you.

Jump to this post

Try Hoka. They are a walking/running shoe but are very cushioned. If you have a specialty running store in your area, they will have them and be happy to fit you.

@amybeau

Try Hoka. They are a walking/running shoe but are very cushioned. If you have a specialty running store in your area, they will have them and be happy to fit you.

Jump to this post

Thank you so much for this information! Appreciate it.

@frankie7

Thank you so much for this information! Appreciate it.

Jump to this post

@frankie7, There is also a discussion on shoes for neuropathy that you might want to read through here - https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/does-anyone-find-that-a-brand-of-shoes-helps-your-foot-neuropathy/

@johnbishop

Hello @tanilyn, Welcome to Connect, an online community where patients and caregivers share their experiences, find support and exchange information with others.

Do you mind sharing what you were searching for when you found Connect?

Jump to this post

Thank you very much. I was recently diagnosed w Peripheral nueropathy. It started as mononueropathy in my toes. Since thn it has spread to both feet and numbness and tingiling goes up both legs, making it difficult to walk. The feeling also goes up to my abdomen and back area, making it tight. They since put me on Gapapintin.. Which didn't seem to work, so the neurologist switched me to lyrica, which I seemed to be getting worst. Now, I'm back on gabapintin. He hasn't ran any test yet. It sort of seems like he's playing with my life. I am a diabetic. I just need a little guidance and support, since this is all new to me. Thank you 🙂

@tanilyn

Thank you very much. I was recently diagnosed w Peripheral nueropathy. It started as mononueropathy in my toes. Since thn it has spread to both feet and numbness and tingiling goes up both legs, making it difficult to walk. The feeling also goes up to my abdomen and back area, making it tight. They since put me on Gapapintin.. Which didn't seem to work, so the neurologist switched me to lyrica, which I seemed to be getting worst. Now, I'm back on gabapintin. He hasn't ran any test yet. It sort of seems like he's playing with my life. I am a diabetic. I just need a little guidance and support, since this is all new to me. Thank you 🙂

Jump to this post

There is another discussion on diabetic neuropathy you might want to read through to learn what others have shared -- Diabetic Neuropathy progressing?: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/diabetic-neuropathy-progressing/

How are you doing with your diabetes? Do they think your neuropathy is caused by your diabetes?

@amybeau

Jump to this post

Just wanted to support the Hoka recommendation. very padded. They also have very padded, rubber slides for around the house.

@clanzafame

Just wanted to support the Hoka recommendation. very padded. They also have very padded, rubber slides for around the house.

Jump to this post

And I also want to add my positive support for Hoka. I have just tried them for three days of my walks. These creations are not heavy although their appearance may cause you to think that. The support from the wider and thicker sole material makes me feel safer, more grounded. The arch support is spot on for me. I had to try a few different ones to find these.

Chris

@artscaping

And I also want to add my positive support for Hoka. I have just tried them for three days of my walks. These creations are not heavy although their appearance may cause you to think that. The support from the wider and thicker sole material makes me feel safer, more grounded. The arch support is spot on for me. I had to try a few different ones to find these.

Chris

Jump to this post

Which style of Hokas did you get Chris? I also need the padding in serious arch support as I have pronation in my left foot which causes me to walk incorrectly on my right foot and I can’t find insert that work for me.

@bcool123

Which style of Hokas did you get Chris? I also need the padding in serious arch support as I have pronation in my left foot which causes me to walk incorrectly on my right foot and I can’t find insert that work for me.

Jump to this post

Hi there @bcool123 and I think It is time I welcomed you to Connect and the Neuropathy group. My Hoka walking running shoes are Women's Gaviota 3. I had the laces switched to the stretchy ones so I don't have the added risk of my shoes coming untied and then me tripping over the laces and falling.

I wore them again this morning. Just heavenly....I can walk much further without any pain or discomfort. They also have a 30 day guarantee at the store where I made my purchase. They want you to be happy. I also tried them on with the socks I normally wear just to make sure that the socks wouldn't be an irritant.

O.K. Let's go walking. Where are you? And what is the condition you working on?

May you be safe, protected and free of inner and outer harm.
Chris

Please sign in or register to post a reply.