Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group

Welcome to the Neuropathy group.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet other people who are dealing with neuropathy. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with neuropathy, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by volunteer patient Mentor John (@johnbishop) and fellow members when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.
Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What concerns would you like to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@carlyschneider

Oh wow! You’ve been through the ringer! If I’m reading this correct, did your pain symptoms increase after taking vitamin D??? Hoping you can find the best solutions for you to manage your pain.

Jump to this post

Yes! All pain symptoms increased with the first dose and lasted the whole week. When I told the doctor, he said that it was my bones "re-mineralizing" from years of being low and that it caused "the cortex" to swell, which in turn causes pain....I did find a forum where other people experienced the same thing. So, at least I felt validated. It's all just too crazy to even think about sometimes.

I'm just getting where it's hard for me to even walk. i have always exercised regularly and have the means to do so, just don't have the strength.

@pixiejacq

I'm new to the group, I have Type 2 Diabetes x 15 years and on an Insulin Pump (my choice). I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy about 10 yrs ago via EMG. Since that time, my pain, numbness, etc. have increased to where I am in constant, unrelenting pain 24/7. My feet, legs and hands. I've tried to manage it with Tylenol, but in the last 6 months it's become unbearable and I can barely walk, function or sleep. I went to my internist and he is recommending Cymbalta. I have a real phobia of taking oral meds and having side effects - like "breaking" something to "fix" something else type thinking (I hope that makes sense). Has anyone had good results from taking Cymbalta? Thank you!

Jump to this post

I am on Cymbalta, and it’s supposed to help with nerve pain and depression. I don’t know if it works at all because I was already on it when I got peripheral neuropathy. I have tremendous pain and numbness in both legs snd ankles.

@spacewatcher

I'm just getting where it's hard for me to even walk. i have always exercised regularly and have the means to do so, just don't have the strength.

Jump to this post

Hi @spacewalker - Do you have any family or friends that to go out for walks? I have similar issues with walking due to my lower back. I do make it a point to get 5,000+ steps daily with my exercise bike/cross-trainer and when the weather is nice I try to take a walk around the neighborhood. There is a discussion that you might consider joining and meeting other members discussing walking:

Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/lets-go-walking-join-me-for-a-virtual-walking-support-group/

Here are some tips that help you build more strength -- 5 Strength-Training Moves Every Walker Should Be Doing: https://www.prevention.com/fitness/a20461006/strength-training-exercises-for-your-walking-muscles/

@johnbishop

Hi @carlyschneider, I can understand the still processing the diagnosis. It is a lot to take in and it's easy to get buried by anxiety. It's good that you are researching and advocating for yourself. Have you considered any alternative treatments or therapy to see if they might offer some relief from your symptoms?

Have you heard of Myofascial Release Therapy (MFR)? There is a discussion started by @jenniferhunter where you can learn more about it - https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/myofascial-release-therapy-mfr-for-treating-compression-and-pain/. @artscaping has found considerable relief from her MFR sessions and may be able to share more information with you.

The Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy also has some complementary and integrative therapies for neuropathy on their website -- https://www.foundationforpn.org/living-well/integrative-therapies/

Jump to this post

Good afternoon @carlyschneider. I'm @artscaping or just Chris. John Bishop has asked me to introduce my experience with MFR, Myofascial Release therapy. If you have seen the video in this section then you have a pretty good idea of how fascia connects everything in our bodies. When it becomes restricted or tight, it hurts. A therapist has to have very sensitive hands to be able to find the restrictions. If you have accepted your diagnosis then you understand that there is no cure for SFN.,,,,,,and that it progresses in different ways and on different time schedules for different individuals.

Five years ago, I started with MFR sessions every other week and that was enough to mitigate the symptoms of SFN so that quality of life was maintained. Now, I have two MFR sessions a week plus at-home treatments I can manage by myself or with props. I actually moved here lock, stock, and barrel in part because the MFR therapist is excellent. The other reason was that I could not handle the wildfires on my mountain.

Two realities: 1. sometimes when an area in the body needs a great deal of work, you may not feel results for 24 hours. 2. sometimes when a restriction is super tight, it does not release without some discomfort/pain. You just have to let your MFR therapist know your tolerance level and when the source of the pain has been reached. It is such a relief.

May you be free of suffering and the causes of suffering.
Chris

@artscaping

Good afternoon @carlyschneider. I'm @artscaping or just Chris. John Bishop has asked me to introduce my experience with MFR, Myofascial Release therapy. If you have seen the video in this section then you have a pretty good idea of how fascia connects everything in our bodies. When it becomes restricted or tight, it hurts. A therapist has to have very sensitive hands to be able to find the restrictions. If you have accepted your diagnosis then you understand that there is no cure for SFN.,,,,,,and that it progresses in different ways and on different time schedules for different individuals.

Five years ago, I started with MFR sessions every other week and that was enough to mitigate the symptoms of SFN so that quality of life was maintained. Now, I have two MFR sessions a week plus at-home treatments I can manage by myself or with props. I actually moved here lock, stock, and barrel in part because the MFR therapist is excellent. The other reason was that I could not handle the wildfires on my mountain.

Two realities: 1. sometimes when an area in the body needs a great deal of work, you may not feel results for 24 hours. 2. sometimes when a restriction is super tight, it does not release without some discomfort/pain. You just have to let your MFR therapist know your tolerance level and when the source of the pain has been reached. It is such a relief.

May you be free of suffering and the causes of suffering.
Chris

Jump to this post

Thank you Chris @artscaping for your insight and for reaching out. Honestly, I don’t think I’ve accepted this yet. I’m sure many on here share my story of feeling like the rug was ripped out from under them. Last year, I was a healthy, active 42 year old woman chasing my 5 year old son around, exercising regularly, enjoying hikes and my new treadmill and bam, within a year, all of that stopped. I’m still in shock. I’m still figuring out the cause and looking into treatments.

Can you tell me how you got started on MFR? Had you tried other treatments? I haven’t seen the video so I will look for it. I’m interested in hearing about everything that is out there! IVIG was recommended to me. Medications were also recommend which is a path I don’t want to go down if possible, at least not yet. Thank you again for your time and I look forward to learning more about MFR.
Carly

@carlyschneider

Thank you Chris @artscaping for your insight and for reaching out. Honestly, I don’t think I’ve accepted this yet. I’m sure many on here share my story of feeling like the rug was ripped out from under them. Last year, I was a healthy, active 42 year old woman chasing my 5 year old son around, exercising regularly, enjoying hikes and my new treadmill and bam, within a year, all of that stopped. I’m still in shock. I’m still figuring out the cause and looking into treatments.

Can you tell me how you got started on MFR? Had you tried other treatments? I haven’t seen the video so I will look for it. I’m interested in hearing about everything that is out there! IVIG was recommended to me. Medications were also recommend which is a path I don’t want to go down if possible, at least not yet. Thank you again for your time and I look forward to learning more about MFR.
Carly

Jump to this post

Good evening. I get it and understand your need. I am going to ask @jenniferhunter, another mentor with significant experience to step in and explain to you why MFR may be right for you. She will also direct you to the discussion on Connect.
Chris

@artscaping

Good evening. I get it and understand your need. I am going to ask @jenniferhunter, another mentor with significant experience to step in and explain to you why MFR may be right for you. She will also direct you to the discussion on Connect.
Chris

Jump to this post

Thank you Chris, take good care 😊

@carlyschneider

Carly

Jump to this post

@carlyschneider if there is a physical treatment that can make you feel alive again, it is MFR. Other things are important too like eating to reduce inflammation and eating foods that help your body detox. You have to get everything in balance. What happens with injuries, illness, stress or bad postural habits is our bodies can get stuck and stop moving properly. Muscles create waste products too after exercise and need to be stretched to re-establish circulation of fluids and carry those waste products away. Sometimes it is too easy to just believe a diagnosis that tells you there is no hope of returning to what was your normal. I see that as a challenge to figure out why and hope I can try to make things better for myself.

I was introduced to MFR therapy 11 years ago for treatment of thoracic outlet syndrome which is an entrapment of nerves and blood vessels between the collar bone and rib cage. There are several places where nerves can get compressed between overly tight muscles or muscles that develop scar tissue because of an injury. It does seem crazy, but imagine yourself in a stretchy suit of elastic strings, and that those strings also grow internally in your body and connect everything. That is the role of fascia and it can shift between being a semisolid to a liquid and reshape itself. It allows the fluid exchange of lymph which carries away waste products and also conducts electricity. Injuries and surgery create scar tissue in the fascia that makes knots, and then it doesn't move and glide. The body gets stuck causing pain and inflammation. What if we can unstick this problem? Yes there is hope because that is what myofascial release does when a therapist applies a shearing force which starts the fascia stretching and gliding again. It can't promise a cure for a disease, but if there is a physical part of the problem, it can help. It does get stuck, dehydrated tissue re-hydrated again.

Working with a PT who could feel my tight spots, educated me about the physical issues that I have, and I can feel where it is tight and when it releases which makes it tingle slightly. Sometimes if something is seriously stuck, it may be a bit uncomfortable when sh works on it. This understanding also helps me figure out how to stretch things on my own which helps my PT get farther ahead during our sessions. I have also been through cervical spine surgery and ankle surgery for a fracture, and MFR has been a part of all of that recovery.

Here is our MFR discussion. The first pages have the most information in links which I started to catalog the topic. This isn't invasive; it's just physical therapy, and if this helps you improve without medication... wonderful. I also am a patient of functional medicine which tries to prevent problems by addressing the source of the problem and correcting biochemistry without drugs to treat symptoms. Does MFR sound like something you would want to explore?

https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/myofascial-release-therapy-mfr-for-treating-compression-and-pain/

I am new to this group so a little background. I have a sever narrowing of the neural foramen bilaterally, small diffuse disc bulge but no associated spinal canal stenosis but severe right facet degeneration. My neuropathy presents as progressive numbness and tingling in feet and legs. Feet now feel like bags of sand and I am concerned the progression is advancing quickly. I maintain a 45 minute yoga routine with some mild weights. I take 600 mg of gabapentin and am at 2500 mg of acetaminophen. Sadly, am not getting satisfaction from medical practitioners. I have learned more reading posts in this group than i have learned from neurologist or spine surgeon. COVID 19 has certainly affected access to these practitioners. Finally, I live in Canada. We can rave about our medical system until you need it. It is certainly nice to have easy access to original diagnosis but the government funding determines progress of therapy

Please sign in or register to post a reply.