Liver transplant - Let's support each other

Posted by lmctif @lmctif, Oct 29, 2018

What topics do people who are waiting for a liver transplant want to talk about? Who has had a liver transplant and wants to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Transplants Support Group.

@coreyb77

@rrichardparker I am a new member and looking to be a part of a community to share my experiences and learn from others. My transplant started on March 10, 2023 and concluded March 12, 2023 (there was a complication) so I still have moments when communicating with people who can relate to some of what I'm dealing with.

Jump to this post

Congratulations and welcome,
I had several complications following my liver transplant in October 2020. If you're willing please share and maybe someone will have experienced some of the same complications. 🤗❤️🇨🇦

@robertj936

Hello,,,,,, My son age 35 has a MELD score of 44 because of Alcohol consumption. We are trying to get a liver transplant he needs to survive. We are getting turned down at all the hospitals as they see him as very high risk. Any suggestions of where to go would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Robert

Jump to this post

@robertj936, As a mother and as a patient who has received a liver transpant, I can feel your frustration and anguish with the current situation regarding your son. I am sorry that you are getting turned down by transplant hospitals at this time, however the reason it that excess alcohol consumption is a disqualifying condition. Alcohol is toxic to the liver and a potential recipient must first prove that he/she can refrain from alcohol.

I would like to share this link with you/and your son. He is not alone. Please join the conversation and discover how others are working to qualify for transplants.
- Alcohol Withdrawal Program Required for Transplant
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/alcohol-withdrawal-program-required-for-transplant/

Has his doctor encouraged him ot seek alcohol counseling?

Your son has to give up alcohol and prove that he has for at least 6 months before he will be considered for a liver transplant. If he does not do this he will die. My MELD score peaked at 30 and never came down. Luckily I survived long enough to receive a liver transplant. However, I gave up alcohol and proved it by attending online AA meetings at intherooms.com The shock of knowing I would die gave me the motivation to do this. Stress to your son that if he wants to live he has to do this. Note centers will know if he has given up alcohol by his liver enzyme tests and/or PETH tests. These are tests for alcohol abuse and cannot be faked.

@rosemarya

Hi, @anniejax04 and Welcome to Mayo Connect. I am a transplant recipient, and I understand how you are feeling as you approach the date of your liver transplant evaluation. I can assure you that you are not alone.
Are you currently a patient at Mayo? If not, you will be amazed at the coordinated care and the focused attention on you-the patient. You should have received a detailed schedule of all of your appointments. Yes, it is going to be like a marathon and you will sleep well afterwards!

My advice is to bring a notebook to take notes and write questins, and a tote bag for all of the information that you will be given. Bring some snacks and a bottle of water in case you don't have time for eating. Of course a light sweater is a necessity because the buildings are always cold!

I will be looking for some transplant patients from Phoenix to connect with, In the meantime, I have located a discussion that has been ongoing for a long time. Like any conversation, it does veer off course. Yu might want to look at the beginning (oldest) comments first.
- Transplant Evaluation - What to expect
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/transplant-evaluation-what-to-expect/

Annie,
Will you be traveling to Phoenix? Have you arranged lodging? Is someone coming with you to be a 2nd set of ears? What is your biggest concern right now? Do you have any questions about any of the tests?

Jump to this post

Yes, I will be at the Phoenix Campus with my husband as my support. My biggest concern is that I have yet to receive a schedule.

@anniejax04

Yes, I will be at the Phoenix Campus with my husband as my support. My biggest concern is that I have yet to receive a schedule.

Jump to this post

@anniejax04, Annie, I have lost track of time (although I'm sure you haven't), and I just noticed that your husband's appointment is almost here! Did you get a schedule, yet?

The appointment is for me, my husband is coming with as my support team.

I have not received a schedule for my appointment.

@anniejax04

The appointment is for me, my husband is coming with as my support team.

I have not received a schedule for my appointment.

Jump to this post

Annie, If this is your first appointment/meeting with the transplant team, it is possible that there is not a defined schedule.
When I had my initial appointment with my local transplant dept in KY, it was a long day that included labs, consults and meeting member of the team like social worker, nurse, dietician, and a transplant surgeon. The entire process was explained, and my husband and I had the opportunity to ask questions. It was a long day, but a very informative day. It was frightening and also comforting. We learned that there was a whole team of people who were experts with the medical knowledge who were there for us. We became part of a team that day!

However, if this is an appointment for the evaluation to determine eligibility for the transplant wait list, it involves several days of medical scans/tests. For this "evaluation" you will have several days of scheduled appointments. Many transplant patients call it a marathon. And if this is your situation, I suggest that you contact Mayo about schedule.

Have you signed up on the Mayo Clinic Patient Portal yet? You should be able to do that as soon as you receive your patient number. It is where you can access your Mayo information, including scheduling.

Annie, I transplanted at Mayo Rochester, and I know that you are going to be surrounded by the best of care at Mayo Phoenix!❤️

@rosemarya

Annie, If this is your first appointment/meeting with the transplant team, it is possible that there is not a defined schedule.
When I had my initial appointment with my local transplant dept in KY, it was a long day that included labs, consults and meeting member of the team like social worker, nurse, dietician, and a transplant surgeon. The entire process was explained, and my husband and I had the opportunity to ask questions. It was a long day, but a very informative day. It was frightening and also comforting. We learned that there was a whole team of people who were experts with the medical knowledge who were there for us. We became part of a team that day!

However, if this is an appointment for the evaluation to determine eligibility for the transplant wait list, it involves several days of medical scans/tests. For this "evaluation" you will have several days of scheduled appointments. Many transplant patients call it a marathon. And if this is your situation, I suggest that you contact Mayo about schedule.

Have you signed up on the Mayo Clinic Patient Portal yet? You should be able to do that as soon as you receive your patient number. It is where you can access your Mayo information, including scheduling.

Annie, I transplanted at Mayo Rochester, and I know that you are going to be surrounded by the best of care at Mayo Phoenix!❤️

Jump to this post

I appreciate you very much!! Thank you for all the information. I do have an account with Mayo Patient Portal.

I trust I will be in good hands, however, I’m nervous about the appointment.

It’s reassuring to know that you had a successful transplant!

@anniejax04

I appreciate you very much!! Thank you for all the information. I do have an account with Mayo Patient Portal.

I trust I will be in good hands, however, I’m nervous about the appointment.

It’s reassuring to know that you had a successful transplant!

Jump to this post

You will do well!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.