Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@missoreo

I keep saying I want to start walking. I have been battling agoraphobia so it’s hard for me to go for walks but I like how this is starting slow!

Jump to this post

I understand. I have a fear of walking up and down the street for any distance. No problem walking in Mayo Clinic and the streets around. I used to hike every weekend up the mountains in Tahoe for 13 years and retired here and have yet to walk up or down or around. I walk to the street Mail box. That is it. I think writing this and it is now out loud, I want to try with your walking program. Had not thought of sharing this with others. Thanks

@missoreo

Thank you, I am now able to go places in the car but walking is still a big challenge. I don’t like feeling like I can’t get home fast enough. Sometimes I walk up and down my street then wonder if my neighbors think in a weirdo

Jump to this post

@missoreo Ah, don't place a lot of importance on what the neighbors might think. They just might be saying to themselves, "I wish I had the guts to do that!" I used to do a lot of walking around this little town before my health issues got larger. Now, my neuropathy has me using two walking sticks if I go for a walk. And I am always looking at the ground to make sure I don't take a misstep [there is no feeling in my left leg/foot] A couple of times I have fallen. Now, that's embarrassing!

Put on a silly hat, and wave to the neighbors. Get a few to join you on your walks.
Ginger

I’ve been really struggling this past week and didn’t get any walking in. Yesterday, i felt so much better, took a long walk with the dog (really, a slow-poke walk with an 18 yr old rescue mutt), then decided thatI’d better go to Sam’s Club and that’s a walk!! Put my groceries in the car and the car refused to start! Finally called my husband to rescue me. But I got my steps in! How about you?

@kathyholmes

Welcome to the new walkers! This group has provided motivation and encouragement for me to keep walking! Slowly increasing my walking week to week! What’s everyone’s holiday weekend plans? (If you are in US; do we go world-wide?) I will be doing my walking around Savannah this weekend!

Jump to this post

@kathyholmes Well, I hear that the hurricane missed Savannah. I’ve been following it since my sister lives there. And what a beautiful place to walk!
Yes, Mayo Connect goes world-wide! I think we have over 100,000 members but I don’t now if any are in the walking group.
Have fun walking in Savannah and be sure to stop at Leopold’s ice cream!

@missoreo

Thank you, I am now able to go places in the car but walking is still a big challenge. I don’t like feeling like I can’t get home fast enough. Sometimes I walk up and down my street then wonder if my neighbors think in a weirdo

Jump to this post

@missoreo YOU are not the weirdo! You are doing your best and getting out walking. Do you have music that you listen to while you walk? Maybe, try expanding your walk a little. Walk up and down your street, then turn the corner, walk to the next corner and then back to your street. That’s what I did when I first got this autoimmune disease. With my husband and a walker, we would walk to the corner and back. I sure felt strange! But, I did it!
Can you try turning the corner today?

@becsbuddy

@kathyholmes Well, I hear that the hurricane missed Savannah. I’ve been following it since my sister lives there. And what a beautiful place to walk!
Yes, Mayo Connect goes world-wide! I think we have over 100,000 members but I don’t now if any are in the walking group.
Have fun walking in Savannah and be sure to stop at Leopold’s ice cream!

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy Thanks for the tip! Ice cream! Time to treat myself! Glad your sister is safe!

@missoreo

Jump to this post

Oh, @gingerw, I hear you! Hang in there! It literally is a step at a time. Cheering you on! Let the neighbors think what they want. Maybe some will join you!

@1942marilyne

I understand. I have a fear of walking up and down the street for any distance. No problem walking in Mayo Clinic and the streets around. I used to hike every weekend up the mountains in Tahoe for 13 years and retired here and have yet to walk up or down or around. I walk to the street Mail box. That is it. I think writing this and it is now out loud, I want to try with your walking program. Had not thought of sharing this with others. Thanks

Jump to this post

I should clear up what I said. No problem walking in stores or malls or where I want to go. I just cannot get started on a walking program. There is a lack of motivation.

@becsbuddy

Let’s see if a few more want to join us and then we’ll get started! I’m so glad you all want to see if you can beat fatigue. Becky

Jump to this post

I want to start walking regularly and look forward to joining this group.

@squirly

I want to start walking regularly and look forward to joining this group.

Jump to this post

@squirly that’s great! Do you walk for exercise now? If not, the original post has links to Mayo Clinic’s walking plan. We haven’t been very talkative lately, but everyone is out walking. Where do you live? Somewhere nice and warm? Or cold and snowy? I’m in cold and snowy Colorado!winter makes walking such fun!
Be sure to post things about your walk and then some of the others will come out of hibernation!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.