Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@kathyholmes

Sue, I hear you! I, too, have recently committed to getting the laundry done all in one day! We recently downsized from our 4 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom apartment and there just isn’t anywhere to stash laundry baskets for days anymore. It helps that in the smaller space my other chores are much more manageable. I hope you had a great day with your grandson. We are welcoming our first grandchild, also a boy, in about 4-5 weeks! So excited!

Jump to this post

@sueinmn and all you walkers. I've been out of the game for quite a while with illness, but happy to be back with all of you again.
I've only just begun to go for walks again, so yesterday and today I managed 1,150 steps each day. Not sure if I can exceed that number for a while, but it really feels good to get outside again. It's hard to believe, but I'm 88 years old now! Some of you members may remember me. I was quite active in Mayo Connect a while back. Such a wonderful community of kind, helpful, funny folks!
Keep up the good work, walkers.
Warmest regards,
Laurie

@artist01

@sueinmn and all you walkers. I've been out of the game for quite a while with illness, but happy to be back with all of you again.
I've only just begun to go for walks again, so yesterday and today I managed 1,150 steps each day. Not sure if I can exceed that number for a while, but it really feels good to get outside again. It's hard to believe, but I'm 88 years old now! Some of you members may remember me. I was quite active in Mayo Connect a while back. Such a wonderful community of kind, helpful, funny folks!
Warmest regards,
Laurie

Jump to this post

Laurie!!! Thrilled beyond words to have you back here!! And you know I’m never short on words 😂
How’s the new place??

@artist01

Warmest regards,
Laurie

Jump to this post

Hi Laurie, Welcome home! You have been missed. 1150 is about a half mile - I'd say that's pretty good with all you have been through.
Catch us up on what's going on with you when you can.
Sue

@artist01
I second @loribmt and @sueinmn welcome!!!
We could never forget anyone so memorable.
I think a candy bar may help increase your walking distance, but even if it doesn't, It'll make it more enjoyable.
Take care,
Jake

@artist01

Warmest regards,
Laurie

Jump to this post

@artist01 Good for you! I’m happy for you that you are able to get outside again! You go, girl! 🙂

@loribmt

Laurie!!! Thrilled beyond words to have you back here!! And you know I’m never short on words 😂
How’s the new place??

Jump to this post

@loribmt
Hey Lori! Thankyou for that warm welcome. I love my new place. Sweet little studio suite, great care aides, excellent food, lovely residents, what more can I say?!!
It's been quite a trip of late, including an "unresponsive" event during my recent hospital gig, but I'm back, in fairly good form (again!).
I'll try to be more constant, here on Connect.

@sueinmn

Hi Laurie, Welcome home! You have been missed. 1150 is about a half mile - I'd say that's pretty good with all you have been through.
Catch us up on what's going on with you when you can.
Sue

Jump to this post

@sueinmn Hey Sue! Thankyou for welcoming me back into Connect. Good to be back.
As per usual, I've been battling all sorts of ailments, including a torn hamstring, which was excruciatingly painful for almost a year, but is finally settling down lately. I've really missed all of you!!

@jakedduck1

@artist01
I second @loribmt and @sueinmn welcome!!!
We could never forget anyone so memorable.
I think a candy bar may help increase your walking distance, but even if it doesn't, It'll make it more enjoyable.
Take care,
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakeduck1
Hi Jake!!
Great to hear from all you guys! I've missed your jokes, Jake. And just so you know, I've got a stash of about six candy bars in case I need extra sustenance after my walks.
Warmest wishes to you!
Laurie

@kathyholmes

@artist01 Good for you! I’m happy for you that you are able to get outside again! You go, girl! 🙂

Jump to this post

@kathyholmes
Hi Kathy. Thankyou for your nice message. I may be 88 years old, but I'm still not what you'd class as "a little old lady"! After all, that torn hamstring I've mentioned earlier is an old baseball injury I can brag about, even though it's come back to haunt me. Sliding in to 3rd base, doing the splits, and the (heavy) 3rd base player fell on my 95 lb. frame. BUT, a substitute runner made it a home run! (as I was rushed to hospital.) 😊 Those were the days, my friend. We thought they'd never end. 🎶 🎵

@artist01

@jakeduck1
Hi Jake!!
Great to hear from all you guys! I've missed your jokes, Jake. And just so you know, I've got a stash of about six candy bars in case I need extra sustenance after my walks.
Warmest wishes to you!
Laurie

Jump to this post

Oh Laurie, you know Leonard - 6 candy bars will barely get him up and moving...you nee to offer more like 6 pounds!
Sue

Please sign in or register to post a reply.