Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

In reply to @milliee456 "hi guys!!" + (show)
@milliee456

my names Ursula but people call me ah

The weather here in Sacramento California area is very pleasant now that summer heat has gone. I enjoy walking biking with my dog. I got a trailer attached to my bike. He's getting older and can't walk as far. So, I let him out at the neighborhood park.

@1942marilyne

I should clear up what I said. No problem walking in stores or malls or where I want to go. I just cannot get started on a walking program. There is a lack of motivation.

Jump to this post

I have the same problem with lack of motivation. I hope sharing the experience with others will provide encouragement for each other.

@squirly

I have the same problem with lack of motivation. I hope sharing the experience with others will provide encouragement for each other.

Jump to this post

It's hard to get motivated here today - chilly with high winds. But I will get out for a quick walk before my meeting at 11:30.
Sue

@sueinmn

It's hard to get motivated here today - chilly with high winds. But I will get out for a quick walk before my meeting at 11:30.
Sue

Jump to this post

I'm a formerly avid walker, 5 miles a day when I could, treadmill when I couldn't.
Now I'm old and disabled and I'm here to encourage you to do this thing!
I still walk with neighbors and/or their dogs, with or without my cane, in the same old neighborhood instead of the hiking trails or nature paths I used to choose.
But it still helps a lot!
Mentally as much as physically walking to the best of your ability is always better than not walking at all!
Borrowing Nike's old message: Just Do It!
PS: Can't join right now, healing from ankle injury-- NOT Walking related.

I just found this group and would like to join. I sometimes walk with friends, but if they are not available, i find it difficult to motivate myself to go out on my own.

@walk4life

I just found this group and would like to join. I sometimes walk with friends, but if they are not available, i find it difficult to motivate myself to go out on my own.

Jump to this post

During Covid, I had 3 tricks I used (beyond listening to something fun on my phone.)

My favorite, suggested by my pain doc, was a "sensory walk." Choose one sense to concentrate on during the walk. For example, the sense of smell. Focus on what each thing you pass smells like, how the smells change through the course of your walk - like stepping from the open area along a path into the woods. Pause, see what new smells you can pick out, let your imagination take you back to other times you smelled these scents. Or walking past a bakery, barbecue, or ethnic restaurant - what spices can you pick out? Do the smells trigger memories? Another day sounds, or colors, or shapes - you get the idea.

The second thing I would do is "walk with a friend" remotely - we would chat on the phone about everything and nothing on our daily walks. Sometimes it was one of my winter walking buddies in another state, other times my brother in his truck driving between job sites.

The third, and not necessarily the best exercise, but often the most fun, was to walk with my grandson or a little neighbor boy. I would see the world through their eyes, enjoy watching them scuff leaves or stomp through puddles, listen to their chatter...and give Mommy a little break.

Can any of these motivate you to move? Can you think of any other ways to motivate?
Sue

Once i am out the door , i am fine. It is just pushing myself to go!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.