Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@sueinmn, and all you walkers: Well, darn, I started out a few weeks ago all fired up to begin my walking regime again, got only 3 days in with more steps on each day - and then, wildfires in my beloved Okanagan! Finally, a State of Emergency was declared for the entire Province of British Columbia in Canada. Needless to say, walking has been completely hindered by the heavy smoke in the air but that's the least of the problems for the hundreds of people evacuated from their homes, and the hundreds who have lost their homes in the fires.
Last night, the blessed rains came. The rain cleared the air from smoke and dampened some of the fires somewhat.
A walk might be possible soon, but more importantly, my heart goes out to all those poor souls who no longer have the comfort of 'home' to go to. No loss of life, though, which is a miracle. And God bless our Firefighters and First Responders who are sacrificing their lives to fight the infernos.

@sueinmn

The heat index was over 100F before noon yesterday with poor air quality, so my walks yesterday were inside Walmart and another large store. People looked at me strangely as I strode through the aisles with a shopping bag over my shoulder, but I got my errands done and managed over 4000 steps. Today is similar, but the air is even worse, so I need to figure out where to walk inside again...sigh.
But tomorrow, no matter what, family tradition dictates I will be walking at least 10000 steps at the state fair with my extended family group of 18! 3 generations, ages from 4 - 76. We are happily post-stroller and pre-wheelchair with this group - have pushed both there many times. Two of the little boys will experience the fair for the first time, with the other cousins leading the way - should be great fun!

Sue

Jump to this post

Oh, Sue, I hear you on the heat and air quality! I am longing for cooler weather! But good for you for finding a creative solution! I will keep that one in mind!

Enjoy the fair! How very fun! Time with family is a huge blessing!

@kathyholmes

Happy Hump Day! How’s everyone doing with their walking? I think we should celebrate all our efforts! I started the week well! I’m encouraging myself to try new things as I am new to the Jacksonville area. (BTW, any other walkers here?) Monday I walked at a beach park and rewarded myself with some time on the beach after. Last night I met my daughter and my granddog at a park halfway between us for a lovely walk among the trees. I’m edging my 4k a day up to 5k. I’m supposed to break up walking with recumbent machines for my knees so finally going to check out our exercise room in our apartment complex. I’m eager to hear about everyone else’s week! I have also been working and cleaning our apartment and making yummy meals! 🙂

Jump to this post

I’m averaging 4 miles per day since the beginning of the year. I have to be “creative “ with walking, since southern Arizona is still quite hot! I walk at 5:30am and then sometimes around 6pm. I also walk around the house or around my office to reach my steps goal for the day. I’m starting to walk with a weighted backpack to get some upper body exercise.

@alive

I’m averaging 4 miles per day since the beginning of the year. I have to be “creative “ with walking, since southern Arizona is still quite hot! I walk at 5:30am and then sometimes around 6pm. I also walk around the house or around my office to reach my steps goal for the day. I’m starting to walk with a weighted backpack to get some upper body exercise.

Jump to this post

@alive That’s wonderful! I know the heat is so challenging! I love the idea of incorporating your upper body! I will look for ways to do that, too!

I keep saying I want to start walking. I have been battling agoraphobia so it’s hard for me to go for walks but I like how this is starting slow!

Anyone wanna be buddies in this?

@missoreo

I keep saying I want to start walking. I have been battling agoraphobia so it’s hard for me to go for walks but I like how this is starting slow!

Jump to this post

@missoreo Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect! We are all meeting virtually and converse while we walk and exercise. Come on and join the crowd! It sounds simple to take a step outside and get going, but I know when you are battling agoraphobia it can be a challenge. So, let's get those shoes laced up, and open the door. Walk around your livingroom and kitchen. Tomorrow do the same and consider standing on the porch for a few minutes. Eventually you'll want to extend that to going down the driveway to the post box. As we all will say, "baby steps". Forgive yourself on the days when it feels so overwhelming. Deep breaths and feel how proud of yourself you are for considering joining us! We're proud of you!
Ginger

Welcome to the new walkers! This group has provided motivation and encouragement for me to keep walking! Slowly increasing my walking week to week! What’s everyone’s holiday weekend plans? (If you are in US; do we go world-wide?) I will be doing my walking around Savannah this weekend!

@gingerw

@missoreo Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect! We are all meeting virtually and converse while we walk and exercise. Come on and join the crowd! It sounds simple to take a step outside and get going, but I know when you are battling agoraphobia it can be a challenge. So, let's get those shoes laced up, and open the door. Walk around your livingroom and kitchen. Tomorrow do the same and consider standing on the porch for a few minutes. Eventually you'll want to extend that to going down the driveway to the post box. As we all will say, "baby steps". Forgive yourself on the days when it feels so overwhelming. Deep breaths and feel how proud of yourself you are for considering joining us! We're proud of you!
Ginger

Jump to this post

Thank you, I am now able to go places in the car but walking is still a big challenge. I don’t like feeling like I can’t get home fast enough. Sometimes I walk up and down my street then wonder if my neighbors think in a weirdo

Please sign in or register to post a reply.