Grover's Disease: What works to help find relief?

Posted by 43219876x @43219876x, Sep 23, 2016

I have been diagnosed with Grover's disease under my breasts. I had a biopsy for diagnosis. Tried topical ointment with no really good results. Any ideas?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Skin Health Support Group.

@sophiep

I'm currently using Clobetasol cream and taking Acitretin. These seem to help the most, but I've been on Acitetin for 4 months and it won't be refilled due to the side effects I'm having including blurred vision and hair loss. Without it I break out head to toe, with it I'm only mildly broken out. I've had to limit the Clobetasol that I've been using for 8 months due to severe skin thinning. I find some relief using zinc oxide creams and menthol creams and powder. The antihistamines had zero help. In the beginning I took Prednisone for approx. 3 1/2 weeks. I had instant relief in the beginning at the high dose. During the taping off when I was down to 2 pills I started to itch. By the time I was down to 1 pill it was as if I wasn't taking anything. So here I am....praying for remission.

Jump to this post

My Prednisone regimen shot my blood sugar up, which is a common side effect. Be careful.

@bjv8080

My Prednisone regimen shot my blood sugar up, which is a common side effect. Be careful.

Jump to this post

I tried the 3 1/2 weeks of Prednisone 6-8 months ago without issue, but as I tapered down the intense itch returned. If I'm ever taking it again I'll watch out for that. Thanks for the tip!

@dermnurse68

Grover’s disease can be an uncomfortable itchy rash, but the good thing is that it isn’t skin cancer, and is usually self resolving.
A good way to relieve the itching is by using topical steroids, which your dermatologist should have prescribed to you, and sometimes oral antihistamines are suggested. I would double check with your doctor, and tell him/her that you need some relief.

Jump to this post

They don't work!.....Steroids or antihistamines! and Dermatoligists are lost for treating the disease.....after years of Flare ups I speak with experience!

@tampabay

They don't work!.....Steroids or antihistamines! and Dermatoligists are lost for treating the disease.....after years of Flare ups I speak with experience!

Jump to this post

GD: I've now been trying cilantro for around 10 days and I think I'm starting to feel a little less itchy, so I'll keep it going for a bit. I found an easy way to down the cilantro without making a smoothie that adds lots of carbs and sugar. In a Nutribullet I mash 15 - 20 grams of fresh cilantro with 1\2 cup of frig-cold water, then I drink it in about 5 - 6 gulps. But here's the trick - I keep my epiglottis closed while I do it, so I taste nothing. It's the same as pinching your nose, only easier. Anyone who's done a little snorkeling will know what I mean. When I finish drinking, I rinse the cup with a little tap water then rinse my mouth and spit it out. Then, with my epiglottis still closed, I rinse my mouth with a little Listerine or similar mouthwash. Then I start breathing through my nose again and there's no cilantro aftertaste. The last couple of days I've tossed some parsley into the brew. I might even try some kale. HTH 🙂

@suel222

I’ve been using for almost 2 weeks now and red dots are slowly going away. I’m gonna keep it up till they are hopefully gone. In 10 yrs I’ve never been “dot free” so we’ll see. This has been the only remedy that has helped me..

Jump to this post

Curious to know now that time has past. Did your dots go away with continued use? Did you just spot treat or rub it all over?

@pwhitney801

Curious to know now that time has past. Did your dots go away with continued use? Did you just spot treat or rub it all over?

Jump to this post

Some of them did go away, almost entirely cleared up.

I wish I had the red dots instead of the lesions I have now …. Itch and burn mostly on my thighs, back of my legs, hips and on the inside of my right arm.

@pitbuell

I wish I had the red dots instead of the lesions I have now …. Itch and burn mostly on my thighs, back of my legs, hips and on the inside of my right arm.

Jump to this post

I read on the F/B GD site about a French cream available at Amazon called Avene Xercalm Lipid Replenishing cream. I haven't looked at it yet, but apparently at least two people have had very positive results. Good luck. I hope you find some relief.

@nodgabnoj

I read on the F/B GD site about a French cream available at Amazon called Avene Xercalm Lipid Replenishing cream. I haven't looked at it yet, but apparently at least two people have had very positive results. Good luck. I hope you find some relief.

Jump to this post

I ordered some! I hope it works for me. I take Allegra daily and it helps with the itch but I wish these lesions would go away, the only thing that works is prednisone and I can’t keep taking that …

@pitbuell

I ordered some! I hope it works for me. I take Allegra daily and it helps with the itch but I wish these lesions would go away, the only thing that works is prednisone and I can’t keep taking that …

Jump to this post

Have you tried cilantro smoothies with chlorella powder and spiralina? I drink one every day and it has put my Grover’s in remission.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.