Grover's Disease: What works to help find relief?

Posted by 43219876x @43219876x, Sep 23, 2016

I have been diagnosed with Grover's disease under my breasts. I had a biopsy for diagnosis. Tried topical ointment with no really good results. Any ideas?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Skin Health Support Group.

Use menthol found in many products......powders and pain relieve creams! menthol will dry up the Red (blister like) spots! Not a cure bur alleviates itching and spots dry up!

I have not checked in on this site in a while and I read some recent posts and my heart breaks for those of us with GD still active. I've had no recurrance now in several years. My success was not because of any of the prescriptions my derms every ordered and I tried them all, it was be cause of cilantro. The theory is that it works as a heavy metal detox. For those new to this site go back to Feb of 2019 and read a post by Kimass1. She brings up the success she read about consuming cilantro as a heavy metal detox. A
group of us posted regularly while drinking daily cilantro smoothies.We posted regularly, it kept our spirts up. I was one of the lucky ones, less than 50% of us who experimented with cilantro had success. Several times a year now I'll still make myself one of these smoothies and drink them for a day or two.
Even my previously broken out areas have healthy skin which now feels normal. For several years, even without outbreaks, my skin was hypersensitive because of previous GD damage.
Keep hoping.

@gardeningjunkie

I have not checked in on this site in a while and I read some recent posts and my heart breaks for those of us with GD still active. I've had no recurrance now in several years. My success was not because of any of the prescriptions my derms every ordered and I tried them all, it was be cause of cilantro. The theory is that it works as a heavy metal detox. For those new to this site go back to Feb of 2019 and read a post by Kimass1. She brings up the success she read about consuming cilantro as a heavy metal detox. A
group of us posted regularly while drinking daily cilantro smoothies.We posted regularly, it kept our spirts up. I was one of the lucky ones, less than 50% of us who experimented with cilantro had success. Several times a year now I'll still make myself one of these smoothies and drink them for a day or two.
Even my previously broken out areas have healthy skin which now feels normal. For several years, even without outbreaks, my skin was hypersensitive because of previous GD damage.
Keep hoping.

Jump to this post

Hi @gardenjunkie, Thanks for checking back in and mentioning the post by @kimass1. I thought I would share a link to the post on cilantro for others - https://connect.mayoclinic.org/comment/114888/

Hope it will help others too.

I wish I could say the Cilantro smoothies worked for me. I've had one every day for 6 weeks with a full half bunch of cilantro, but no luck. I've now tried every prescription and non-prescription there is, except for light therapy and I have Grover's nearly head to toe. I doubt we'll be trying light therapy with the numerous skin cancers that I've had.....but, I keep reading and trying and trying and trying everything else.....I have to find something and pray for remission.

@sophiep

I wish I could say the Cilantro smoothies worked for me. I've had one every day for 6 weeks with a full half bunch of cilantro, but no luck. I've now tried every prescription and non-prescription there is, except for light therapy and I have Grover's nearly head to toe. I doubt we'll be trying light therapy with the numerous skin cancers that I've had.....but, I keep reading and trying and trying and trying everything else.....I have to find something and pray for remission.

Jump to this post

Menthol! Powders or creams!

@tampabay

Menthol! Powders or creams!

Jump to this post

Yes, I use both daily & they help!

@gardeningjunkie

Keep hoping.

Jump to this post

Good to see you again. Glad your GD is still in remission. I still read the blogs every day to offer any assistance that I can and just see what people are trying. I constantly refer new people to the old blogs both here and on FB in hopes that they can be of some help. My GD is still hanging around, although it is localized and only a minor inconvenience. I am actually one of the fortunate ones as so much of what I read is truly "heart breaking".

@nodgabnoj

Good to see you again. Glad your GD is still in remission. I still read the blogs every day to offer any assistance that I can and just see what people are trying. I constantly refer new people to the old blogs both here and on FB in hopes that they can be of some help. My GD is still hanging around, although it is localized and only a minor inconvenience. I am actually one of the fortunate ones as so much of what I read is truly "heart breaking".

Jump to this post

I hope your outbreaks become less severe over the years. My first outbreak, front and back, both upper and lower torso was severe, only my sides were clear for me to lay on. Yet subsequent years, although still miserable were not as severe and would last for 6 months then give me a 6 month remission. I'm glad yours are manageable.
I know others appreciate your posts, they are helpful and encouraging.

Grover’s disease can be an uncomfortable itchy rash, but the good thing is that it isn’t skin cancer, and is usually self resolving.
A good way to relieve the itching is by using topical steroids, which your dermatologist should have prescribed to you, and sometimes oral antihistamines are suggested. I would double check with your doctor, and tell him/her that you need some relief.

@dermnurse68

Grover’s disease can be an uncomfortable itchy rash, but the good thing is that it isn’t skin cancer, and is usually self resolving.
A good way to relieve the itching is by using topical steroids, which your dermatologist should have prescribed to you, and sometimes oral antihistamines are suggested. I would double check with your doctor, and tell him/her that you need some relief.

Jump to this post

I'm currently using Clobetasol cream and taking Acitretin. These seem to help the most, but I've been on Acitetin for 4 months and it won't be refilled due to the side effects I'm having including blurred vision and hair loss. Without it I break out head to toe, with it I'm only mildly broken out. I've had to limit the Clobetasol that I've been using for 8 months due to severe skin thinning. I find some relief using zinc oxide creams and menthol creams and powder. The antihistamines had zero help. In the beginning I took Prednisone for approx. 3 1/2 weeks. I had instant relief in the beginning at the high dose. During the taping off when I was down to 2 pills I started to itch. By the time I was down to 1 pill it was as if I wasn't taking anything. So here I am....praying for remission.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.