Grover's Disease: What works to help find relief?

Posted by 43219876x @43219876x, Sep 23, 2016

I have been diagnosed with Grover's disease under my breasts. I had a biopsy for diagnosis. Tried topical ointment with no really good results. Any ideas?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Skin Health Support Group.

I need help. I know I have a mite infection but derm, allergist and eye doctor have been no help.Derm thinks it is all in my head; allergist just ruled out things through testing. Eye doctor just keeps me coming back for dry eyes. I get no sleep at night because that is when they are most active. They get in my eyes, my nose, cause me to sneeze and can be felt all over my face and on my scalp. I need to find a doctor who can prescribe the right med(s) that will get rid of this infestation. Can Jax Mayo docs help me?

@gardeningjunkie

We're all feeling your frustration and you did make me laugh describing us as a "crappy club". Yep, none of us want to be a member. I know it's hard to feel grateful but most of us envy you because for us the itching and pain is the worst part.
Usually those of us that benefit from cilantro see positive results starting within the first few weeks, so as you are realizing cilantro may not be helping you.
Your diet is a classic anti-inflammation diet; couldn't be better. Cutting out processed sugar, limiting natural sugar and limiting gluten made a dramatic difference in my internal inflammation for ACD and although cilantro turned the corner for me I had also been on an anti-inflammation diet similar to yours for about 4 months when I started the cilantro so perhaps cutting out these foods also helped put me in remission.
Right now I am on my longest GD free period ever and the only thing I do is to splash Witch Hazel on torso, front and back after showering and toweling off.
I'm back to all my outdoor sweating activities.
Will it return for me, no doubt about it, just as for you- you will have better days ahead. Keep researching and sharing with us.
Unless you have had the 5 Day Extended Patch Test to determine if you have Allergic Contact Dermatitis, ACD, (which I developed at age 50) you should especially avoid B of P as it is the most common fragrance allergen.

Jump to this post

What is B of P?

@gottab

I need help. I know I have a mite infection but derm, allergist and eye doctor have been no help.Derm thinks it is all in my head; allergist just ruled out things through testing. Eye doctor just keeps me coming back for dry eyes. I get no sleep at night because that is when they are most active. They get in my eyes, my nose, cause me to sneeze and can be felt all over my face and on my scalp. I need to find a doctor who can prescribe the right med(s) that will get rid of this infestation. Can Jax Mayo docs help me?

Jump to this post

That sounds terrible! Wish I could help, but I've got nothing. Hope you find a solution.

@gottab

Jump to this post

My usual dermatologist told me to use cortisone lotion, blowing off the symptoms as an allergy to the Shingrix vaccine. This did not work and things spread down my legs and arms from my torso. Fortunately, the week I decided to have a serious discussion with him, he was unavailable and I met with another doctor in the group. She looked at me and in minutes determined I had Grovers, not an allergy.

The protocol she put me on is a body wash, Selenium Sulfide Topical Suspension 2.5% to use daily in the shower, and a lotion, Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream 0.1%, to be applied daily as needed to the "hot spots". At that point, I was hot all over, pretty much, so I was going through the meds quickly.

As things have gone along, I have added collagen complex (Type I, II, III, IV, V and X, 1000 mg/day) and selenium (200mcg/day) to the multiple vitamins and supplements I already take. They can't hurt me in those doses and the problem is inside the body, so why not attack from both sides?

I have found some relief also through antihistamine allergy medicine and a gram of acetaminophen (Tylenol) taken at the same time. Tylenol does not thin the blood or reduce its tendency to clot, so I prefer that.

I would also take a look at the thread on this site that links Grovers and the Shingrix shingles vaccine. I did that on a whim on an internet search and found that there is a group of people who anecdotally have had my experience in acquiring the disease. I guess it was wise getting the shot if it prevents shingles, although Grovers, as you know, can be damned uncomfortable. Some people there find relief by making a smoothie with a bunch of fresh cilantro, in addition to whatever else you put in. I have not read everything there so I dunno why cilantro has a positive effect but some there say it suppresses symptoms for most of a week, a few months and one close to a year. Obviously, I will have to try it.

The regimen I am on usually gives me 12-14 hours of peace and then I sleep. I am much better off for it, but Grovers is a daily presence. Today was a good one. Others not so good. Sleep is usually unaffected, but that is not a sure bet. Sometimes I don't have much itch but I feel wrong, tired and snippy, without anything else to explain it.

I hope this is useful. Hang in there.
Best,
George

@ghschirtzinger

My usual dermatologist told me to use cortisone lotion, blowing off the symptoms as an allergy to the Shingrix vaccine. This did not work and things spread down my legs and arms from my torso. Fortunately, the week I decided to have a serious discussion with him, he was unavailable and I met with another doctor in the group. She looked at me and in minutes determined I had Grovers, not an allergy.

The protocol she put me on is a body wash, Selenium Sulfide Topical Suspension 2.5% to use daily in the shower, and a lotion, Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream 0.1%, to be applied daily as needed to the "hot spots". At that point, I was hot all over, pretty much, so I was going through the meds quickly.

As things have gone along, I have added collagen complex (Type I, II, III, IV, V and X, 1000 mg/day) and selenium (200mcg/day) to the multiple vitamins and supplements I already take. They can't hurt me in those doses and the problem is inside the body, so why not attack from both sides?

I have found some relief also through antihistamine allergy medicine and a gram of acetaminophen (Tylenol) taken at the same time. Tylenol does not thin the blood or reduce its tendency to clot, so I prefer that.

I would also take a look at the thread on this site that links Grovers and the Shingrix shingles vaccine. I did that on a whim on an internet search and found that there is a group of people who anecdotally have had my experience in acquiring the disease. I guess it was wise getting the shot if it prevents shingles, although Grovers, as you know, can be damned uncomfortable. Some people there find relief by making a smoothie with a bunch of fresh cilantro, in addition to whatever else you put in. I have not read everything there so I dunno why cilantro has a positive effect but some there say it suppresses symptoms for most of a week, a few months and one close to a year. Obviously, I will have to try it.

The regimen I am on usually gives me 12-14 hours of peace and then I sleep. I am much better off for it, but Grovers is a daily presence. Today was a good one. Others not so good. Sleep is usually unaffected, but that is not a sure bet. Sometimes I don't have much itch but I feel wrong, tired and snippy, without anything else to explain it.

Best,
George

Jump to this post

I, as others on this site, believe that it was the Shingrix vaccine that caused my GD. I still suffer from it after 3 years. I took cilantro smoothies religiously for at least two years. They did help immensely. Due to laziness and the lessened effects of GD, I stopped a couple of months ago and am starting too pay the price. The capsules are pretty much useless. However, I went thru a bottle of the cilantro extract, and just ordered another. It seemed to help, as it did another contributor on this site. Available on Amazon, Natures Path. Every body suffers in different ways from this miserable disease, and the only way to deal with it, is to read what others have had success with and experiment. Doctors have little knowledge or understanding and big pharma could care less. Good luck, and try the smoothies.

@ghschirtzinger

Best,
George

Jump to this post

Thanks for the very helpful, detailed info. I have read about the cilantro smoothies but not planning to do that right now, as the taste of cilantro comes close to making me gag. I think I failed to mention that the derm prescribed an antihistamine to be taken at bedtime (which makes me feel edgy) and also the same cream you were prescribed and it works well. All that being said, at night I have the feeling of “movement” in my nose, eyes face and scalp which keeps me awake all night. It is my firm belief that I have demodex mites, but all doctors I have seen do not agree. Hence, the reason I posted my info on this website. Also, my eye doctor determined that I have blepharitis which, I believe is caused by the demodex infestation. Again, thank you for the info and I will continue reading this website and doing research on demodex mites because, to me, GD is not the main culprit.

I am about six weeks into my diagnosis at age 84. I guess I am lucky at this point, because the discomfort, though aggravating, on a scale of 1-10, with ten being the "tear your hair out" point, I am about a 2. I can manage it with cera-ve itching lotion, but it is aggravating. I do hope it will go away, as we all do. So helpful to hear all the input. Witch Hazel is on my list of something to help with the itching. Thank you.

@dorothydavis1

I am about six weeks into my diagnosis at age 84. I guess I am lucky at this point, because the discomfort, though aggravating, on a scale of 1-10, with ten being the "tear your hair out" point, I am about a 2. I can manage it with cera-ve itching lotion, but it is aggravating. I do hope it will go away, as we all do. So helpful to hear all the input. Witch Hazel is on my list of something to help with the itching. Thank you.

Jump to this post

Take a few hours and read this entire blog beginning in mid Feb 2019.
We learned about cilantro smoothies from Kimass1. It helps about 50% of us. After years of dealing with GD cyclically I no long have active periods because of my cilantro smoothies. I no longer need to drink them daily, just as a precaution I make one about every 2-3 months.
So do your homework on this site.
Cilantro is a heavy metal detox. Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and GD are linked to heavy metals. The cilantro will chelate your blood and remove heavy metals naturally. Look up this heavy metal link on the internet. As we age we collect heavy metals.
Nothing else ever helped me. I tried it all for years.

@dorothydavis1

Jump to this post

This link should take you to the page on this forum to which @gardeningjunkie is referring where the discussion of cilantro smoothies begins. Just in case you want to research the regimen that has been successful for some people.
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/grovers-disease-247ffc/?pg=11#comment-114878

@gardeningjunkie

Take a few hours and read this entire blog beginning in mid Feb 2019.
We learned about cilantro smoothies from Kimass1. It helps about 50% of us. After years of dealing with GD cyclically I no long have active periods because of my cilantro smoothies. I no longer need to drink them daily, just as a precaution I make one about every 2-3 months.
So do your homework on this site.
Cilantro is a heavy metal detox. Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and GD are linked to heavy metals. The cilantro will chelate your blood and remove heavy metals naturally. Look up this heavy metal link on the internet. As we age we collect heavy metals.
Nothing else ever helped me. I tried it all for years.

Jump to this post

Thanks for the additional information!!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.