Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@hopeful33250

Hi @jakedduck1, Looking forward to hearing about your Purdy's experience! I didn't know that the Sees candy also came from Canada. It sounds like the Canadians have a corner on the chocolate market.

Jump to this post

@hopeful33250 I ALWAYS keep dark chocolate in the house. I stopped at the supermarket with my husband and was picking up some of the big bars. I decided to try their "signature brand". It is Swiss chocolate. People always figure if it's Swiss chocolate it must be special, but don't you think there are bad chocolate makers in Switzerland, just as in our own country?

This is not bad, but it's biggest advantage is that it was a bit less expensive. I usually buy whichever good brand is on sale, but there were none. I like Endangered Species, Taza, Green and Black, Theo, Chocolove, Ghirardelli... who am I kidding, I like them all. 😉
JK

I know what you're saying, @contentandwell. I haven't met any chocolate that I didn't like!

@hopeful33250

I know what you're saying, @contentandwell. I haven't met any chocolate that I didn't like!

Jump to this post

@hopeful33250 I'm not a big milk chocolate fan, and I think Hershey milk chocolate kisses taste like chalk, but my husband loves them. My daughter and I both like dark chocolate and white chocolate. When I make her favorite cookies I use the dark or white kisses on top of the peanut butter cookie. My son would prefer a dab of jam.
JK

@contentandwell

@hopeful33250 I'm not a big milk chocolate fan, and I think Hershey milk chocolate kisses taste like chalk, but my husband loves them. My daughter and I both like dark chocolate and white chocolate. When I make her favorite cookies I use the dark or white kisses on top of the peanut butter cookie. My son would prefer a dab of jam.
JK

Jump to this post

I love dark chocolate

@merpreb

I love dark chocolate

Jump to this post

@merpreb I was talking about that to my hairdresser and he likes it so dark that he actually eats baking chocolate! That's a bit too much for me.
JK

@contentandwell

@merpreb I was talking about that to my hairdresser and he likes it so dark that he actually eats baking chocolate! That's a bit too much for me.
JK

Jump to this post

You gals can have my share of dark chocolate. Milk chocolate is the best. I see Purdue’s sent me half light and half dark chocolate in my Himalayan pink salt caramels. But they won’t go to waste but to waist. I’ll eat salad to make up for being bad. I had a Purdu’s marshmallow and Carmel candy but See’s Scotch kisses are better in my opinion.
Still trying to forget @imallears eats fish bait.
When I do I’ll really enjoy my candy.
Jake

@contentandwell

@hopeful33250 I ALWAYS keep dark chocolate in the house. I stopped at the supermarket with my husband and was picking up some of the big bars. I decided to try their "signature brand". It is Swiss chocolate. People always figure if it's Swiss chocolate it must be special, but don't you think there are bad chocolate makers in Switzerland, just as in our own country?

This is not bad, but it's biggest advantage is that it was a bit less expensive. I usually buy whichever good brand is on sale, but there were none. I like Endangered Species, Taza, Green and Black, Theo, Chocolove, Ghirardelli... who am I kidding, I like them all. 😉
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell Even the dark chocolate kisses from Hershey

@merpreb

I love dark chocolate

Jump to this post

Yep... my favorite is dark chocolate. Trader Joe's has a BIG bar of 72% cacao dark chocolate that costs $4.99... I think it is a pound. Yummm!

An odd side effect of being in AD withdrawal is an absolute aversion to chocolate, soda, and other sugary vices I used to indulge in on a daily basis. It's an upside but on the other hand, feels like I'm missing a limb or something!

@jakedduck1

@mamacita
Is free Wi-Fi really worth stopping at
MCDONALDS, ick. I suppose you could get a drink though.

@gingerw
So was there any snow on Shasta yesterday?
It looks like a giant dirt clod in the summer.
Hope your had a good trip, now the fun of unpacking and organizing. Have fun.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 , McDonald's is good for one thing and one thing only. Wi-Fi. And maybe, coffee or a drink. And making a pit stop. Sorry, McDonald's afficianodos. It's how I feel.

Mamacita Jane

Please sign in or register to post a reply.