Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@gingerw

@merpreb yesterday was a long day. From 4 a.m. until 9 p.m. before I could rest. I don't plan to do too much today except pack the rest of the car and get gas. Tonight is the 765 mile drive.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw At least you wont have the traffic so much like daytime. And you can take turns sleeping . Be safe Cyber buddies will be thinking of you let us know when you can

@lioness

@gingerw At least you wont have the traffic so much like daytime. And you can take turns sleeping . Be safe Cyber buddies will be thinking of you let us know when you can

Jump to this post

@lioness I will be driving my car. My husband will be driving his Tacoma and pulling our utility trailer loaded and tarped. So, no switching off drivers. We will have ham radios to keep each other in contact, and have promised to pull over to rest as needed. It is 765 miles doorstep to doorstep.
Ginger

@lioness

@debbraw It was up at Yosemite they followed the John Muir trail up to Mt Whitney but didn't get that far , so next year they are going to try again but starting where they left of this time . Poor Chuck his legs are so swollen,painful and he looks bad.

Jump to this post

@lioness - it's hard to see our loved ones with problems, swollen painful legs, etc. Just glad they are home safe and heal quickly.

@gingerw

Today I am grateful. For the people here, who show such care and concern for each other, who want to help ease the strife of daily living. Waiting this weekend to get the scan results on Mon afternoon. For my medical team, current and future, who hold my health in their hands. For Mother Nature, who is running a large wildfire not too far from our new house, in her wisdom to know I just couldn't bear moving up there then having to evacuate right away!
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw I am grateful for you!!!! You uphold so many others - I am now upholding you. I am praying for your health (mental - no worries-and physical). Also that Mother Nature keeps her distance. You are a ray of sunshine in our sometimes bleak world. Thanks!!!!......Karen

@gingerw, I am grateful for you and the other members on Connect. Prayers and cyberhugs for your trip. So excited for you on this new journey for you! I am lying low today, Fibromyalgia has reared its ugly head yet again. Staying positive in spite of it.

Let us know about your trip when you can. Remember, McDonald's has free Wi-Fi. Love and cyber hugs.

Mamacita Jane

@mamacita

@gingerw, I am grateful for you and the other members on Connect. Prayers and cyberhugs for your trip. So excited for you on this new journey for you! I am lying low today, Fibromyalgia has reared its ugly head yet again. Staying positive in spite of it.

Let us know about your trip when you can. Remember, McDonald's has free Wi-Fi. Love and cyber hugs.

Mamacita Jane

Jump to this post

@mamacita
Is free Wi-Fi really worth stopping at
MCDONALDS, ick. I suppose you could get a drink though.

@gingerw
So was there any snow on Shasta yesterday?
It looks like a giant dirt clod in the summer.
Hope your had a good trip, now the fun of unpacking and organizing. Have fun.
Jake

@debbraw

@lioness - it's hard to see our loved ones with problems, swollen painful legs, etc. Just glad they are home safe and heal quickly.

Jump to this post

@debbraw I just heard Chuck,s legs went down but painful he is back home in Pittsburgh now I'm grateful for that he is back home now and will be o.k. He has 3 little kids so don't know how much down time he will have . But his wife will take care of him now. Howie is back to work Ive recovered from soak city so all is good.

@gingerw

@lioness I will be driving my car. My husband will be driving his Tacoma and pulling our utility trailer loaded and tarped. So, no switching off drivers. We will have ham radios to keep each other in contact, and have promised to pull over to rest as needed. It is 765 miles doorstep to doorstep.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw How many days will you take to make the trip? My daughter went to college about 550 miles away. Sometimes we would stop on the way there, and sometimes my husband would just drive through. I prefer to stop and these days it would be a necessity. I can't sit that long in the car now.

@lioness What a long hike! No wonder you were worried. Have they done the Appalachian trail in the east?
JK

I’m so excited, my Purdys candy arrives tomorrow. Decisions decisions, which one to eat first. Someone mentioned Canadians make better candy than we do. The Sees candy family came from Canada. I hope they have a brown suger piece similar to bordeaux.
Jake

@jakedduck1

I’m so excited, my Purdys candy arrives tomorrow. Decisions decisions, which one to eat first. Someone mentioned Canadians make better candy than we do. The Sees candy family came from Canada. I hope they have a brown suger piece similar to bordeaux.
Jake

Jump to this post

Hi @jakedduck1, Looking forward to hearing about your Purdy's experience! I didn't know that the Sees candy also came from Canada. It sounds like the Canadians have a corner on the chocolate market.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.